San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2009

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Dune_Sea_Hermit, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    From the official Comic-Con site:

Comic-Con celebrates its 40th in 2009!
    It?s not too early to start planning for Comic-Con 2009! Roaring back into the San Diego Convention Center July 23?26 ?- with the popular Preview Night on Wednesday, July 22 ?- Comic-Con?s 40th looks to be the biggest and best convention ever!

I registered at last year's Con. How do I add a free child's pass to my paid membership? Can I pick one up when I get my badge even if the convention is sold out?

In other Comic-Con related news:

Construction has begun on a pedestrian bridge across Harbor Blvd. at Park Blvd.
    From the official site:
    Located next to PETCO Park, home of the San Diego Padres, the bridge will safely connect ballpark visitors and Convention Center guests across Harbor Drive. It will also connect the 2,000-space Port of San Diego parking garage with Park Boulevard. CCDC continues to plan for an at-grade crossing that will include pedestrian barriers and enhanced safety crossing technologies thus improving traffic circulation and access to and from the waterfront and Barrio Logan.

The bridge should be completed sometime next year. Not only will it make it easier for trolley riders and other pedestrians to cross the street, it will also provide an interesting photo subject or photo backdrop for all con attendees.

And, last but not least and the real reason I started this topic:
    Lolita's is now in the process of opening its fifth location in beautiful Downtown San Diego across from Petco Park. This location will be called "Lolita's at the Park".

Convention attendees from western Pennsylvania are strongly encouraged to dine there. Ask for the western Pennsylvania discount.

2. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    really, there's a western PA discount? what if you wear Steelers merchandise? hehe
  3. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    You get childrens badges when you pick up your badge at the convention center. They are available even if it's sold out. We've never had problems getting ones for our boys each year. I think it's considered separate from the other bagdes. You get them from the same person who gives you your badge, unlike years past where it's a second line after getting your badges. I like the new system much better. You stand in enough lines as it is already LOL

That bridge is going to be so cool!! Crossing that street can be a pain in the behind, especially is the trolley or train blocks the way...

4. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    But it's always fun to watch the crazy mass of people waiting to cross the street. :(
  5. Volntyr Jedi Knight

star 2
    1. Yes, you can still pick up a free child's pass. The last thing we want is to have a family separated.

2. Please, dont mention Western PA anymore. It's MISERABLE there. :_|
  6. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    Thanks for the info, me-gonk and Volntyr.

If the temperatures hit the 90s during the Con, we could have used these Star Wars misters. Too bad they're sold out.
  7. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Howdy y'all! I know I don't really post on your boards, but I love going to Comic Con every year. Even if they do move out of San Diego after the current contract is up, I still like going to you lovely city.

I'm just hoping there are some good exclusives this year. Last year's were ok, but not enough good ones, let alone good SW exclusives.
  8. toysoldierjedimom Jedi Padawan

Hi. I am from Ohio but am going to SDCC (everything is booked already) for the first time. I usually go to Dragon*Con, so I am used to big Cons, but I know this one is the biggest of all. Unfortunately my hotel is a ways away (I just cannot afford the closer ones). So any advice would be nice. Thanks
  9. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    welcome!

if your hotel is in the downtown area, most likely it will get served by one of the different convention shuttle routes that they have - so you can basically go out of your hotel, and catch a free bus to the convention center, and back (though in the afternoon, the buses leaving to go back to the hotels can get pretty full).
    if your hotel isn't downtown, but is on the trolley line (near Old Town or in Mission Valley), you can get a multi-day pass on the trolley. lots of congoers take the trolley since it is cheaper for one person to take the trolley than to park downtown.

comic-con is big! be prepared for lots of walking and standing in line for the panels you want to see - lining up hours in advance for a popular panel is not uncommon, so either have a friend to hang with, make friends in line, or bring something to do (comics to read, an ipod or gameboy, etc.)

and don't forget to stop by the San Diego Fan Force booth among the fan tables on the mezzanine!
  10. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    Is your hotel still in Downtown or a ways out still?
    There are free shuttles that run through Downtown with routes that include the various hotels and parking structures as well as Horton Plaza, a grocery store and other necessities. There is a map in the guide book you get your first day and it's posted on the con website a bit before the convention. The trolley runs through Downtown as well and is a good way to get around. It also runs in neighboring areas as well making it easier to get in from your hotel if you're not that close. You need to allow a good deal of time for the Trolleys though. They step up their service to better handle the crowds but I've heard it's still not enough.
  11. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    The official Comic-Con website has a transportation page full of advice and links to local transportation websites.

I usually buy a four-day trolley pass for the Con. Trolleys arrive fairly regularly during peak hours. At other times you could end up waiting over thirty minutes and you might have to transfer at certain stops. Don't worry about getting lost on the wrong trolley. Just follow the people wearing badges or carrying over-sized tote bags emblazoned with various geek logos.

Last year, on every trolley I boarded, we were packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes. I never had trouble getting a seat because I was mean, ugly and intimidating -- that and I stood right next to the yellow line and rushed for a door as soon as the trolley arrived. Bring your patience and a sense of humor. You'll need those whether or not you ride the trolley.
  12. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    The Padres are playing the Marlins at 12:35pm on Wednesday, 22 July. If you feel like watching a game or exploring the ballpark before braving the Con lines, check it out. Cheap eats fans might be interested in the 5 for $5 Value Deal. Get a hot dog, regular soda, peanuts, popcorn and a cookie, all for only $5 at any regular season home game. Substitute a 16 oz. beer for the regular soda and pay only $10 for all five items.

For more general information, check out the San Diego News Network's visitors guide.
  13. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
  14. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm sure Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ahsoka) will be there cheering her husband David on. ;)
  15. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    He comes off the DL on Wednesday, so I suppose there's a chance.
  16. JediLarryB Jedi Master

star 2
    In case you didn't know, you can see Star Wars Action News LIVE at the exhibit hall!

The Kotobukiya booth (#2601) this year is bigger than ever and features the Kotobukiya stage where you will see all types of entertainment including Marjorie and Arnie of Star Wars Action News doing a live show talking all things Star Wars and Comic-Con.

This show is scheduled for Thursday, July 23rd, at 4 p.m. PST at the Kotobukiya booth, and will be posted online for download later that evening. Special guests include Steve Sansweet, Gus Lopez, Duncan Jenkins, and more!

So head to CafePress, pick up some Star Wars Action News gear, and come to the Koto booth Thursday afternoon!

And Friday night, the annual Star Wars Action News dinner will be taking place at the San Diego Burger Co. in Seaport Village at 7:30PM.

You can download this week's podcast, a Comic-Con Preview, from http://www.swactionnews.com
  17. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Did anyone grab any of those Old Republic game t-shirts that look like jedi and sith armor that they were handing out each day at the LFL Pavillion stage? I got a green-armored one that's a size XL, and was wondering if anyone got one in a Medium to trade.
  18. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    i got to touch about a dozen of those... as i was handing them out to the crowds at the Star Wars stage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.