main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Comic-Con 2013

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 28, 2013.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Just got my pro passes today. Who else is registered? And who is planning on braving the insanity of the general online registration?

I had a really, really great con last year. I was in Hall H all day Fri-Sun. I'm really happy they moved the bigger TV panels there last year (GoT, Walking Dead), and I really hope they keep that up again this year.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If I had anywhere near the funds it would be SO tempting, especially with the promise of a huge Doctor Who 50th anniversary presence at Comic Con this year.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm really, really hoping Tennant is there. And I really hope Cumberbatch is there for Desolation of Smaug.

I've found that the main keys to going to Comic Con really cheaply are already living in CA so you don't have to fly and having friends in San Diego so you don't have to pay for hotel. So, you know... just move :p

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad waking up so early ended up being worth it.

Handmaiden Yané and Ender_Sai like this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah. I mean, the Con stuff was usually done by 8 or 9 anyway, so I wound up just sleeping like 10-3:30, which wasn't so bad. Of course, every year it seems that it becomes necessary to get there earlier and earlier just to get into Hall H at all. For the first panel of the day (usually around noon), I don't think anyone got in unless they were there by 7. I could be wrong on that, though, and I'm not sure how many people left by the 3pm panels. I just know I didn't want to risk it. So much that I went to the panel for BBT :p

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, I meant for the tickets. 9:30!

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh yeah! That was definitely early for me. I actually woke up at 9.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I've got my ticket for it, although I'm not sure, yet, if I will be going.

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Ugg don't remind me.

And also a quick rant: the Con pro badge system is absolute bull. I've got friends *cough DWH cough* who have worked on HUGE films for the past few years and still keeps getting denied a Pro badge, and yet have other friends whose only accomplishment is that they're a freelance (bad) artist or that they wrote a book and self-published it, and yet they're eligible for a pro badge. WTH.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    First year in, like, six years that I'm not going, actually. Have to devote the whole of my summer to mathematics.

Should at least be a nice relief on the budget, I guess.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    To ramza: Neeeerd

Also, I'm hearing taht pro badges have now 'sold out' on the complementary guest badges

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's a strange system, yes. Some of the things they qualify as professional work are pretty dubious. And some things that get denied confuse me. For instance, a friend of mine is the post production supervisor on Warehouse 13, which has a panel at Comic-Con, and she said she didn't get a professional badge. Now, I'm guessing if she really wanted to go the producers could probably at least get her in the day of the panel, but still, that's pretty ridiculous. They told her she's a trade professional since she works in post. But I'm a creative professional because I work in writing (and have directing credits on IMDB to round it out I guess). Even though the shows I've worked on aren't genre shows.

Now, I don't think you should have to work specifically in genre for film and TV stuff because, let's face it, there are plenty of TV shows at Comic Con that aren't genre shows, whether some people like that or not. And my brother's a cinematographer and he gets passes, and most of the time he's just in the cine department and not the DP, so he's below the line as well so it's not simply a hard and fast above the line/below the line distinction they're making. So I don't get why he would be approved but someone who works below the line on one of the shows with a panel there wouldn't be. Yes, two of the films he worked on last year were Joss Whedon's indie projects, so that may have helped his approval process, but on the whole I just don't see very much rhyme or reason to it. My brother and I are both professionals who've worked on real films and shows, but plenty of "pros" there haven't. And I feel like anyone who works on a show or film with a panel at the con should have dibs on passes.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My God, you even have a discussion board. That's awesome.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I spammed it one time and she got mad at me. :(

15. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Fri-Sun package

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I have never been to Comic-Con. :(

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Neither have I. One day I would definitely like to.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It's gotten too big, IMO. If I didn't get a free badge for running a table, I doubt I'd go anymore. Considering I have to get a hotel room and I live 15 minutes away, it's just ridiculous.

19. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    You have to get a hotel room even though you live 15 minutes away? How's that work?

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe. Good grief I'd have to fly. Ugh. I have not indulged since well before the new security.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What if Blipsy Sausagepants is too toff to go to something as distasteful as Comic-Con? Will that ruin it?

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I would love to go to Comic-Con. I love seeing pictures and videos from there. Have fun!

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't get mad :p It was more a smh response. Which is just my default towards you. Also, I don't think a comment about how I hate digital is exactly spam since it's true :p

I've never been quite clear on that. I go and stay at my friend's house who lives 15 minutes away.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It wasn't that. I posted something stupid like, "I HEARD RACHEL IS A DUDE LOLOLOL" and you told me that would be bad for your career or something.

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I run a table and need to store crap in the rooms every night, we need a changing room, and I value sleep because its so much easier to leave my car at the hotel and only have to worry about lugging stuff from the room than attempting to get a parking spot anywhere near the hall.