Comic Con 2014

Discussion in 'San Diego, CA' started by jawajames, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    So, the good news is that we don't need to staff a table, come up with trivia questions to ask at a table, or come up with prizes or badge ribbons to give away at a table.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/2014/fan-tables/exhibitors

The bad news: we don't have a table. But I guess that doesn't really matter much since we don't have any elected leaders either. or events, apparently.

We deserve not having a fan table at comic-con.
  2. yoshiki Force Ghost

star 2
    Very true.

A few members stepped up and led this group for awhile and did a good job of it but we can't expect people to keep that up indefinitely. Meanwhile the rest of us have sat on our butts and done nothing. Recent leadership with the exception one person has had no interest in keeping the group active.

This is a direct result of indifference among the membership and now we've gotten what we deserve, mainly a club that does nothing.

On the other hand it's no great lose not being at comic con, seriously when was the last time we recruited an active member there?
  3. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    I feel somewhat responsible even though it wasn't my responsibility. :(
  4. GreyJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Another problem is people don't come to the message board. Everything is on Facebook now, even though a lot of posts never get viewed.

We need to take a lesson from Brian and promote ourselves as the non-costume Star Wars group. Not everyone wants to costume and there should be a place for those people. There is plenty of new Star Wars goodness coming up with Celebration VII, the new Rebels show, and Episode VII next year.

To counter not having an actual table, maybe the 501st and Rebel Legion would be willing to keep some flyers on their tables for those people who don't costume or for those under 18 years old that can't join the other groups. There are enough current and former SDFF people staffing those tables that they could at least pass the information along.
  5. yoshiki Force Ghost

star 2
    [Sorry to those of you who have heard this rant from me before but here I go again.]

The problem is that we have effectively split into 2 separate clubs. The people on the facebook side just refuse to come here and use the forums.

I've gone back in forth with the notion that we should just shut down the page, as it isn't doing what it was intended to do which was recruit new active members. I don't know if it's possible to make it so no one can post there thus forcing them to come here but I don't know if even that would work.

Your other ideas are good BUT will they just attract more people to the facebook "club"?
    Last edited by yoshiki, Jun 17, 2014
  6. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't even get Brandon to use the boards anymore and he used to use them all the time. :(
  7. GreyJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Facebook is not reliable unless we're willing to pay to promote the posts. I know I'm not willing to do that.

Here are some ideas I'm just throwing out (based on what my teenagers do):
    -Skype virtual meetings
    -Texts to direct members to check the forums or FB page
    -Combine meetings with midnight movie viewings
    -Form a guild on WoW (that's a joke, unless we think it would work)
  8. Lord_Dubi Jedi Master

star 2
    Very true about Facebook. I tried my best to direct people from FB to this group via back-linking, but looks like 90% of the "FB members" aren't bothering to follow the link, and/or register on the boards (new members) to respond.

The midnight movie idea is good, and I think we tried it a few times. The only problem is that the midnight lineup for most major releases starts 4 or 5 hours early, sometimes even at 6 am; or used to, now people just show up because the theaters offer earlier then midnight screenings--which defeats the whole purpose of waiting for midnight viewings; so keeping that in mind, the ideal meetings should be at least around 3 or 4 pm till 6 or so. But that could be hard on most people, since the workday is normally till 5 pm. Considering traffic and everything else, many people wouldn't be able to get there till around 6 or later.

Again, sorry about the whole comic-con thing, just got too busy with work and everything else :(
  9. GreyJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Jacob, don't apologize. You shouldn't have to shoulder all the responsibility.

I'm sorry I wasn't more help but I had to deal with my real life problems. :(
  10. yoshiki Force Ghost

star 2
    Ditto what Donna said.

Jacob you have done more than your fare share.