main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

COMIC-CON ATTENDEES - SPEAK UP !!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Although I could not personally attend, I would love to hear from all of you who did. :D

Any pictures?
    Any funny happenings?
    Any celebrity sightings?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    isn't this a little off topic ;) ;)

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, a little . . . . . .

BUT, since there were, apparently, several TFN FanFilm Forum members who were to have attended ... and since one of the features of Comic-Con were the atomFilms Star Wars FanFilms, then I thought that it would be an interesting topic for the Forum.

Nevertheless, if the Mods see fit to lock the topic ... so be it. :(

4. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    TAC, it was a little joke at the Thread Subjects and Closures thread.

anyway, since fan films were involved there, I see no harm this thread is causing. but that's not my decision, it's the mods ;)

5. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i think daft said he got a picture of a bunch of storm troopers all lined up

6. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, lessee... I missed the actual fanfilm panel with the filmmakers because the stupid airline stranded me in Houston because they ruined my chances of catching the connection flight... Lowell and Sandy were able to represent DVPH at the panel, tho, and said that it went well...
    When I finally arrived at SDCC (about FOUR HOURS after I was supposed to), the fan films were still running, so they slotted DVPH in again and I still got to do a Q&A, just by myself... gave out a ton of DVPH buttons there...

Funny story for that, tho.. after raising holy heck with the airline about why I was so pissed about them making me miss the main reason for my entire trip, it wasn't until the customer service rep on the phone connected the dots and said:
    CSR: "Waitaminnit... you're made a Star Wars film that's not a real Star Wars film and you're showing it in San Diego? You aren't one of those fanfilm makers, are you?"
    Me: "Yeah, I am..."
    CSR: "Which one did you do?"
    Me: "Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline..."
    CSR: "DUDE! That was my favorite one! How'd you pull that one off?"

It wasn't until then that things started to turn around, and the guy set me up to get half of the plane fare refunded... so that's ONE good benefit for having made a fanfilm...
    :D

Dinner with the Nutleys and some of the other board members was fun, if chilly... the temperature dropped a LOT, and we were on an outdoor patio...

Hung out with Peter Mayhew and his wife on Sunday for a while, and reintroduced myself to a drunk Mark Hamill when he stopped by... at least he was honest in saying that he was just being nice and hadn't heard a word I'd just said... :) but you could tell he'd just knocked back a few...

Mark Hamill's movie panel was fun, although I couldn't stay for the actal filming... but the warm-up act was incredible... Rob Paulsen, Maurice LaMarche, Jess Harnell, Jim Cummings, Gary Owens, Billy West, and several other top animation voice artists entertained us all for most of an hour... the off-color Pinky and the Brain routine (done by the proper voices!) was hysterical...

Gave Peter David and Kevin J. Anderson their DVPH movie posters, which surprised them both... they were both quite appreciative and impressed...

Almost got stepped on by Arnold Schwartzenegger when Lowell and I were over backstage at the Inkworks booth... other stars; talked with Stephen Furst, Larry Niven, Joe Straczynski, Corin Nemec, Phil Morris, Rob Paulsen, and Ray Harryhausen at various points...

Had a REALLY good meeting Sunday morning at the con with WizKids boss Jordan Weisman about some future projects he wants me to work on for him (one Crimson Skies related, the others cool but NDA for now :D )...

Apparently I was briefly seen on CBS's national news coverage of SDCC that weekend, but I haven't seen proof of it yet... just going on what Heather and my mother have both told me...

So... is *that* the kind of stuff you wanted to hear, TAC? :)

Fenn

7. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    I went for two of the days, I had a blast. To hear more about it, go tto the San Diego board and www.sandiegostarwars.com
    I spent a lot of my time working the San Diego Star Wars Society table. The place to be. Fun stuff. :)

8. Amidala_Nutley

Amidala_Nutley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    >>Almost got stepped on by Arnold Schwartzenegger when Lowell and I were over backstage at the Inkworks booth<<

Arnie is losing his touch [face_laugh]

9. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    So you want to hear my trip to the Con eh? OK,

1. Get to SD friday night, late. Get to bed 12:00, kid wakes up, Dad I dont feel well, has a fever. Call the doctor he says take him to ER. Now, find ER in a town I dont live in. Get back 6:30 am, go to bed. Get up a 7:30 son throwing up. Go back to sleep, get up at 8:30 am, son throwing up. Get up a 9:30 and stay up and then we decide do we go to the Con or do we go home. My son is not going to make the Con. :( bummer. Wife says go ahead, I will stay here with them, you go. Are you sure I ask, she says yeah, now just go. Really just go. SO we go.

2. We jump on the 5 parking lot and it takes us almost 2 1/2 hours to go 38 miles. I love CA.

3. Get checked in and that takes 45 minutes. Walk around looking for certain people. I am wearing my Tropper armor so I get stopped every 4-5 feet for pics. That is cool, I like pics of me :) Walk 2 aisles, run into someone I have not seen in a while and we talk for 45 minutes, pause for more pics. Walk 2 more aisles and see someone else. Talk for 45 minutes, pause for pics. So now I am trying to actually see some stuff. They got a Statue of a trooper for sale. I stand next to it and pose like the statue. Freak some people out, others are not amused. I was very amused! :p As I am standing there, the Nutleys and ExFilms walk up and they are looking at me wondering if I am real or not. So I walk up to them and we started talking........45 minutes later, we part and I go 3 aisles and run into Golden-Y. We talk and now he is walking with me. Later, we run into ExFilms again and then we see The Nutleys again. An hour later we talk about dinner, I have to walk back to the hotel parking structure, dis-robe, put real clothes on and go back. So, The Nutleys, ExFilms, TheREalFynShysha, Golden-Y are all wating 45 minutes for me to finally return to the gathering place at the LOTR booth. It was huge, I probably passed them all 3-4 times! So we are all walking out and another friend of mine, dressed as Lando, decides he wants to go with us. We lose him twice on the way there. We finally get to the Kansas City BBQ and get seated outside and order and only had to wait 1 1/2 hours for our food! IN the meantime, it got very cold out there and the outside heaters they had did not work. I was freezing! But it was all worth it. I took a few pics but they came out quite dark. I have PROMISED someone I would send them to them very soon! We all talked about this and that, Star Wars, and just enjoyed each others company. It is great to put faces and voices with names. We all start walking back and start saying our goodbyes. FynnShysa and I walk back and lose each other upstairs where they were showing the masquarde while we were looking for our respective groups. Finally we get back to my friends house and crash about 1:30 and I think I just woke up the other day!

Aside from my son getting sick, I had a great time but felt bad going with out him. He kept assuring me it was OK to go in between his throwing up, so we were OK there. I will make it up to him next year.

So that concludes my little story. There was alot I left out to protect the innocent, I figured no one would be interested in the drinking and the stripping so I left those parts out. ;) J/K

Hahah! there was no drinking......or stripping.

Anyway, there you go. If I think of anything else, I'll put it up. Or someone just tell me to shut up! ;)

Gare

10. Neumann

Neumann Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    I had a great time at Comic Con. I got to play around with a parksabre, and I even accidently wound up sitting next to Kevin Rubio in the Sails pavillion. We got to have a small chat, it was pretty cool.

11. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    To be honest the actual Comic Con had a lot less Star Wars stuff than I thought it would, but then again, we really didn't go over to see the exhibition, more for an excuse to meet people, go to LA and San Diego.

It was really great to see everyone, and put a few faces to screen-names. We actually met up with more people than I thought we would, given the pathetic planning of the trip/event from us.

My only 'regret' was that Yakov/Golden-Y had to park his car and ended up at the wrong end of the table, so I didn't really get to speak with him as much as I wanted. Secondly Azeem couldn't make it out to the Con, which was a shame (although I knew about this well in advance of the trip)

Maybe next time :)

But other than the artic conditions, (and when I get cold - it's cold :) ) it was a good day, and a nice evening. Tri-Som-Gare has promised Nikki he will email his pictures (taken at night with a broken flash - so they're going to be good!) so as soon as they turn up we'll post them up.

(Big mistake promising them to Nikki, Gare, you'll never hear the last of that :) )

Anyway, we are the worlds worst 'takers of pictures', so the only thing I've got to show are three dodgy pictures of the 501st (very cool though, even though I arrived late and got a lousy position off to the side)

[image=http://stormahead.com/images/LA4.jpg]
    [image=http://stormahead.com/images/LA6.jpg]
    [image=http://stormahead.com/images/LA8.jpg]

12. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    SD Comic Con was great.

Only went saturday.
    Got up at around 5:30am (yes, hard to believe). Left the house at around 6:00am. Drove on the 5 Fwy for about 3 hours until i got to San Diego. I decided to drive up and circle around the convention area to see how it was, then turn around and find a parking spot.

The amount of people was amazing. The light would turn red in my direction and green for the other. TONS of people walking across the street towards the front of the building. I turned around and began to head back towards downtown to find a place to park. Luckily, I found a good emtpy place. One of those parking lots where you pay a machine, and it spits out a ticket. Ten dollars for 10 hours. I got out and began to walk back to the convention.

When I finally got there, I had to go to the line where I had to register and get my pass. This line was sooo long that it wrapped around the building, into the hotel parking lot, and behind the hotel by the water area (where the boats are docked). Spent about an hour or so standing in line. Good thing there were these dorky teens behind me that I was listening to to keep my entertained. What nerds.
    I did see a semi-famous comedian walk by me to get to the end of the line for passes. He appears kind of regularly on Just Shoot Me and had his special on Comedy Central Presents. I was about to tell him to cut in, since he's a funny guy. But he whizzed on by rather quickly.

Registered and now in. People everywhere, booths everywhere. It looked like the place was divided into 3 sections: Comic Books, Companies, and Galleries.
    Most of the booths are like what you find at any conventin times ten. I did go to the FanForce.com booth (Star Wars fan club) and met with Brandon and Devon who were also checking out the booth. Brandon was Why-Gone Denobi in the fan we worked on earlier this year. At the convention, he was dressed up as a Jedi. Devon is a friend and is in Prelude To Hope (which people are still wondering when it's going to be released).

I walked around and finished seeing everything by 2:00pm. Got some free posters and postcards, like Robotech postcards and a LOTR: Two Towers poster. That's one good thing, all the freebies. I decided to go upstairs from the main floor to where they had the presentation rooms. One of them had the cast and creator of Futurama. It was at 2:00pm, so I went in. A lot of good stuff. They talked about the show, etc. , people asked questions. Funny stuff at the presentation. After that, it was around 4:00pm, so I headed back down because at 6:00pm, TFNers were supposed to meet.

I was hoping to see someone before 6:00pm, but nothing. So far, I have only seen two people that I knew. Well, around 5:15pm or so, I spotted Tri-Some Gare (Gary) in his stormtrooper outfit (he didn't have the helmet on, that's how I knew, I won't comment on the height thing :p ). He said he saw/met Daft Maul and Amidala Nutley, David told Gary that he was looking for me. So, we started walking around.

Around 5:50, we met with The Nutleys. A few minutes later, ExFilms joined us. Finally, Fenn was there. That was it pretty much for the group. More people said they were going to try to come, but no luck.

Well, we were supposed to go out for dinner at 6:00. Gary wanted to get out of his trooper outfit before going. So he was going to go to his car and change. He said 15 minutes, we finally got rolling at 7:00pm :p

We went to this restaurant that was close by, a BBQ place. Good food, service a little slow. When we got there, I quickly had go back to my car to move it since the 10 hours were over. It was around a mile back to my car :(
    I brought the car closer, right behind the restaurant. Well, we ate and talked, and I wish I could have talked to Daft more. Good times. Glad to have met everyone in person. Hope to do the same next year, but with more people.

13. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    This is great, more height jokes! Crickey a guy just cant get a break...between you and Nikki I'll never grow up! 5'7" is not that short. [face_laugh]

You guys are killing me!

The humanity!

I need a pint!

Daft? :p

Be there in 30!

BTW, we started rolling at 6:50 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.