main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comic-Con, CE, and D23 News Thread - The Expanded Universe, the Sequel Trilogy, and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 19, 2013.

1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    But this isn't anything new.

The EU just simply needed to fit itself and adjust according to what was laid out, introducing retcons and alternate explanations here and there. To give an example, Nejaa Halycon, as mentioned previously during the prequel days.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Two things I hope get overwritten: Empire squashing the Coruscant celebraation and IG-88.

3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Let's take a hypothetical, how would you retcon away Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben, and Mara's existence,
    and have new characters replacing them, plus Chewie's alive.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Vestara encounters Jacen's Sith spirit, is tricked into performing a ritual that kills her while giving Caedus a new body.

He goes on a rampage, really messes something up, finally realizes he made a mistake, and Vergere's Force Ghost appears to show him the way back to the light.

Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, Tenel Ka, Jag, Lowie, Ben, and Allana... with help from the Force Ghosts of Mara Jade and Anakin Solo... decide to change something in the past to prevent the big catastrophe, realizing that they'll be sacrificing their own existence to undo it.

Luke, Leia and Han are told that... even if they will no longer remember them in life, they will forever be a part of the Force, and be able to finally remember them and be reunited with them when they do eventually die.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    THIS IS NOT THE "GUYS LET'S ALL SPECULATE ABOUT HOW THEY COULD CONCEIVABLY CONTRADICT THE EU" THREAD. STAY ON TOPIC.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Make it a new character that Vader kills at the end!

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I'm really assuming something along those lines would happen. Or maybe the new publisher for Star Wars stuff wouldn't even bother. I'd be down with a wrap up story, though.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Are you Santa

Cause I think Christmas just came early!

Seriously an one else interested in this?

9. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I may be if I saw a confirmation.

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Who is this "They"? That makes no sense, for it should only be "he", for only 1 man......i mean alien, not a group of writers for the ST, could conceivably contradict the EU.

WMIRTUTSF and Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn like this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's Duros.

12. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    He's more machine now, than man.

Anyway, I'm not fond of any erasing idea. The last thing I want is One More Day. Star Wars style. Even though I'm aware that plots for a a universal retcon are not exclusive to Spider-Man, One More Day just ruined the whole thing for me forever and now I loathe them.

Next you'll be telling me that the story will feature Luke encountering alternate versions of himself; one of which is an overweight person that'll insult the readers and saying they are losers who enjoy escapist fiction.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think technically Phineas and Ferb will travel to the GFFA. Can't have SW in our galaxy.

16. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Not to fan things up at all but am I the only one not concerned in the least? Or at the very least not surprised? I can't say I was expecting anything too revelatory from all this. We've already been in something of a strange holding pattern for a slight while, it feels like. There was no way that was going to change.

17. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So I guess it is reasonably possible that Disney could pull the plug on Del-Rey as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they did... the lack of news for future books is very disturbing. And those that thought the EU might be safe from getting butchered... If it turns out that way then you guys have my sympathies.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Anything on The Essential Characters?

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    All these cancellations concern me.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Who exactly are they trying to fool with this?

Yes we have had some AU comics at times, but really?

21. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I'm disappointed at the lack of definite news so far. As for the cancellation of the comics, I'm against them for the following reasons.

Knight Errant - the cancellation has been established for some time, but still I think there's plenty of more story to be covered. Since Kerra Holt started her mission, three of the big Sith factions have been taken out. But there are still a good number of them out there. Now if we have future novels detailing Holt's future endeavors, I'm good with that and I would have no objection to the series ending.

Agent of the Empire - I liked Jahan Cross. I described him as a "good Imperial". By that, I mean he's a member of the Imperial military who's doing what he can to make the Empire safer for the common citizens. Think about how Soontir Fel, Maarek Stele, and the Hand of Judgment are. I group Jahan Cross with them. Again, plenty of more stories to be told. Also, we're dealing with a new main character who might interact with previously established characters at times. As such, there's little to no chance of continuity issues in this series.

Invasion - I'm mixed about this. There's the chance of continuity issue, which was brought up at one point in the series. I believe it was the third arc where there was a reference to the battle on Dantooine. In the novels, the Yuuzhan Vongs didn't really become common knowledge until about Ruin or so, yet the comics suggest that the galaxy at large knew about them before the events of the second novel. Anyways, as much as I liked the series, I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been better that it never appeared in the first place. I say that because consider the big revelations at the end of the third arc. Finn's and Kaye's stepmother was a Yuuzhan Vong. The two seemed to have been "shaped" by presumably their adoptive mother, though the specifics are unknown. And we have the formation of the Outer Rim Alliance, which seemed to want to establish themselves as a separate fighting force against the Vong because they refused to ignore the threat, which the leadership headed by that Bothan seemed to be doing. Definitely a lot of potential for stories that could be smoothed into the established NJO timeline. But to have the final issue of that arc be the final issue of the series, that leaves us wondering why did the higher ups who gave the go ahead for this series decide to cancel it, especially since there's no sense of closure. But that's my opinion.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's a reference to the early EU -- before the Bantam era, really, where the EU as a whole was considered its own thing. Even for much of the Bantam run, the EU wasn't really part of the overall canon.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When did things change?

24. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    "Speaking of which, it's frustrating to me that we get interesting new series like Invasion and Agent of the Empire, even Knight Errant, and they disappear so quickly. This has happened repeatedly over the past several years. It bothers me that Dark Horse comes up with great ideas and then basically says, "Oh that's not selling as well as we hoped, so here's another Darth Vader series. Here's a series focusing on the big three fighting in space every issue and dukin it with the Empire." As much as I love the classic characters and scenarios, it seems like a cop out when there's so much more niche worthy storytelling. I fear for the Dawn of the Jedi series after the Force Wars arc."

I just posted this in another thread but darklordoftech cued me in to its relevance here. Pretty much sums up my frustrations with dark horse right now. I love their stories, and understand new films may contradict current EU, but they seem to give up on series with vast potential rather quickly.

25. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    Tough I guess Knight Errant and Invasion were around for a year or more, but they were really just getting to the meat of their story when their curtains closed. Gotta say, I am glad Legacy is back, but it's longevity remains in question with the Disney takeover a present reality.

spicer and darklordoftech like this.