main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comic-Con, CE, and D23 News Thread - The Expanded Universe, the Sequel Trilogy, and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 19, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Huh? What are we talking about now? Pre-ROTJ or pre-TPM? There is a huuuge difference between the two.

Pre-RotJ can be contradicted incredibly easy. If it is stated that Vader and Palpatine are the only Darksiders in the Dark Times we already have a highly problematic situation at hand.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This sort of post is exactly what got me started.

3. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    What if the sequel trilogy works off the premise that Return of the Jedi Infinities is real and they have Darth Vader as a character in the ST wearing his white armor?

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    But it started wild, unlikely theories. I don't have a problem with one or two things being retconned, but I doubt they'll go out of their way to do it. Luke exploring every inch of Korriban or a camera panning across it (and how would a camera pan across an entire planet?), that would be going out of their way ridiculously.

WMIRTUTSF and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    What if Boba Fett is revealed to not actually be Jaster Mereel, but a clone of a different guy named Jango Fett?

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    As long as the EU isn't erased or just burned to a crisp, that's fine.

As I said before, Episode VII's novelization could simply just do what Episode III's did by including a few more EU elements into it that makes it uniform with other books.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, but I doubt Lucas consulted EU about Fett's past. He probably didn't even think about it at the time.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What if I stab myself in the eye rather than read another page of this ****ing argument?

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Actually, I heard that GL told the EU NOT to cover Boba's past and the EU disobeyed him.

10. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    But it broke the EU! Just like the way that prequels had the Jedi forbidden to marry decanonized Nejaa Halcyon, Corran Horn, Hal Horn, Kam Solusar, Ranik Solusar, and Ki-Adi-Mundi.

Edit: And the entire novel Children of the Jedi!

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yous guys are turning Cooper into an emo. Staaahp. He used to be such a friendly chap of mod. Now he's all jumping off of trains and stabbing eyes and stuff.

Was anyone actually at Comic Con?

12. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I woke up so excited this morning, "Friday Star Wars day at ComicCon!" Womp womp womp.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I was near the Comic Con.

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My tumblr feed is full of Comic Con. Does that count?

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Just glanced in the mirror--my hair is black all of a sudden.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm in the same country as Comic Con. Does that count?

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I apologize for emofying you. I was just trying to have a comical debate.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You were about four posts away from someone attempting to compute Korriban's surface area.

BigAl6ft6, krtmd, Grey1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

Calculating....

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The surface area of Korriban is roughly 29929.156225272453 km squared.

21. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    So yeah, I think Del Rey has become content to just put out this timeline of novels NJO>DNT>LOTF>FOTJ>Crucible>SOTJ knowing that they had a built-in audience from the Bantam line, and they really made no effort to try to develop other storylines beyond one-offs and tie-ins. Legacy of the Force was originally supposed to be set in the Sith era (and probably should have been) but I think they decided to play it safe and base it around Luke to ensure that people bought it because there's obviously a market of fans that buy anything of that type (including myself until recently). Dark Horse, on the other hand, has established itself as a company that tells stories set in the Star Wars universe that aren't just continuations of Luke, Han, and Leia's story. The sequel trilogy really puts Del Rey in a vice because it just put the Sword of Damocles over their cash cow and if their Sword of the Jedi trilogy is directly competing with the sequel trilogy as an alternate series of events following the OT, I'm pretty sure LucasFilm and Disney aren't going to want that, but what does Del Rey really have to fall on? I'm sure they are waiting to see what sort of tie-in material they can publish based around Episode VII and that's why they have nothing to announce.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just read all eight pages. [face_hypnotized]

A few thoughts:

Good news about Dark Horse. I suppose. I'm a little worried about 2015.

Book covers: thankfully I read on my Kindle now so I don't care.

Del Rey: it seems that they and other publishers might want to consider the Old Republic era. There is a much greater time frame to work with and correct me if I'm wrong here but except for the Bane trilogy, most of the novels seem pretty stand-alone and easy to write around or add to. Isn't the post-ROTJ era pretty well saturated anyway? I'm not planning to read anything post-NJO so maybe I've missed something but it seems that way. I understand the concern about retconning existing novels but I'll keep that in the other thread.

As far as the PT retconning Ki-Adi Mundi and Nejaa Halcyon's marriages, I think the EU has done a decent job explaining that Mundi was the exception and Halcyon broke the rules just as Anakin did, he was just a little better at it.

Darth Xalfrea and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    (Cue battle droids arguing over Korriban's surface area.)

24. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Oh, I know, I was being facetious. I thought the ROTJ Infinities one would have given that away. I was using examples of big issues the prequels brought up that were easily fixed by the EU. Some people don't even know that Boba Fett used to be Jaster Mereel.

My insight into book sales only extends as far as PW's end of year numbers, but I suspect that books based around the films in some way sell substantially better than those that do not, and really work toward subsidizing them. All out of era stuff is either set in the future and thus starring the Big 3, or is set in the past and is a SWTOR tie-in. The exceptions seem to be Into the Void, Red Harvest, the Bane trilogy, and Knight Errant, and I suppose you could argue that ItV and KE are tie-ins with the pre-existing comic series.

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would love it if they went all Old Republic era. As much as I want to see story focusing around Jania, Ben, Allana, Vestra, and Jagged I do not see Del Rey doing them any justice right now.

darklordoftech likes this.