main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA COMIC-CON July 19 - 23, 2006

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I know this seems like a while away, but hotels opened up this week, and it seems like the closest ones are pretty much booked, and some people are signing up to be on a waiting list, in case of cancellations. So what's the consensus of people who think (at least 60% chance) that they can go? I'm asking a friend of mine who works for a hotel in San Diego to possibly get two rooms for us (8 people).

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    So far I plan to go. I have two friends from Seattle that wanted to room with me. Trying to get a hotel room the morning the blocks opened was about as bad as trying to get front row tickets for a concert. I asked the housing reservations to wait list me for the Marriott next door, but I figure that is a long shot. I have until some time in June to cancel the room I have at the Horton Grand 3 blocks away (the best I could get when I finally got through around 9:15 am).

I'll be able to talk with my friends more when they get back from their vacation to see if they are cool with the room I got, or would rather pay less and drive in each morning.

You guys could always do what you did last year - get a hotel that isn't part of the Comic-Con housing and just drive downtown. I'd seriously consider doing that just so you have something. You can always cancel if something opens up close to the Convention.

I'd also keep checking the housing avaialbility every day. Last year I got lucky and something opened up around May.

- Kay Dee

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    I did manage to snag a hotel close by, but the whole system kept booting me out. I started in about 3 min before 9 with both cell phone and computer going nonstop... The phone kept connecting and then after the speil, the "If you would like an operator." message would come one..the computer took forever to connect. I was upset that I wanted the Marriott and it wasn't even on the list by the time my computer hooked in 5 min later. But at least I'm within walking distance.

Good luck guys...it wasn't pretty out there. I don't know how they could improve it...but you think they could work something out.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm in, although maybe we only need to go for the important days and just hit some other hot spots some of the other days? I know I got some vacation days to burn. :)

5. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    the group reservations are still open. so if there are 10 people willing to go in on it, it shouldn't be a problem. the only thing is everyone has to be in agreement which days and which hotel, and someone willing to use their credit card as a deposit

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Usually, we check in early afternoon on Preview Night, and check out the Monday after to relax and check out the sites nearby. Last year, it was the beach, and the year before was Mexico.

7. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I think they are referring to 10 rooms and not people. We get 8 poeple for 2 rooms on average. But the hotel that we stayed at last year is $70 more per night than last year.

8. elmoizme

Oct 27, 2005
    That's what I meant :D we need to find 10 people(party's) for 10 rooms

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well currently, the Courtyard in the Hotel Circle Area is selling at $149 a night. No associate discount available.

This is opposed to the Farifield we stayed at last year, witch is currently offering a friends and fam rate of $179 a night.

With prices like this, I having second thought about even attending. Add Air fair and car rental to that too.

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, that's so frustrating! They still have blocks they are holding out on for people who want over 10 rooms. No wonder after only 15 minutes nothing was left for people only needing one room.

I'm still very interested in trying to get a room at the Marriott next door or something across the street. However, I don't know enough people to book 10 rooms! (with 2-4 people per room that's like 30-40 people!).

I wonder if those rooms at the other hotels will open up later on if they arent' selling to the 10+ crowd. Hence, the wait list.

- Kay Dee

11. elmoizme

Oct 27, 2005
    Well, there's a few GGG members who still need rooms, and there's a few here I'm sure.. if we all pool together I'm sure we can come up with the 10 room group booking. As of right now I'm guaranteed if needed, a room with another GGG member at the Omni. But that means my family won't go. They will only go if we get our own room. So if someone wants to start up a list, I will ask on the GGG groups who ever wants to join in.

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, if you start a list put me down for one room that can accomodate 3-4 people (that's how many is in my group). If you are able to get the Marriott next door (the marina rather than the gaslamp) or a hotel within 2 blocks I'll gladly cancel the reservation I currently have.

- Kay Dee

13. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Kathy, where are you staying at anyway?

I just booked 4 rooms under various incarnations of my name since the web site would not let me do duplicate reservations with the same name within 24 hours or make multiple room reservations at once. It's at a better rate than any discount I could get from my company and actually a little less than what we paid last year. Elton if you are traveling with your family, I think you may like this place.

Any questions people PM or IM me.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, you found more rooms through the comic-con web site Robert? Every time I go there every hotel is booked the 19th - 24th. (I just checked again)

I currently have a reservation for a room for 3 people at the Horton Grand, 3 blocks away.

- Kathy

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Nope. Scoured the expedia, travelocity, and hotels.com sites to find hotels that had rooms and check out the customer reviews. Then instead of booking through the third party agencys which require prepayment, booked through the hotel chain itself which only needed a CC to guarantee. Plus I ended up with a slightly better rate than what expedia was offering, which is also a few dollars less than what we paid last year.

16. elmoizme

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks Robert.. I'll check it out. But the way things look, I may be doing the roomates route.

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Coinciding with Comic-con is the Lord of the Rings Symphony on July 20th with Guest Conductor Howard Shore.

http://www.sandiegosymphony.com/concert_detail.php?indexid=57

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually, I'm not sure if I'm down with going any more. I'm getting an itch to leave the states and tear it up in some other country or maybe somewhere in the US but away from the west coast. All this stress over a convention with hiked up prices and people scrambling for resources and such isn't really worth it. Hmm... Now where too...

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    That's cool, Ming. You probably won't miss anything...kind of like last year when that "Rock" guy showed up. ;)

20. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Hey all, just wanted to let you guys know that I booked a room at the ramada inn for the 19-23. I can't wait cause this time I get to see you guys aswell as go to the convention all weekend.

21. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It's nice to meet stars and all but whoopty do if you see them at a convention or something. It's not like he would give me the People's Elbow or something cool like that to talk about. Although if he gave me the Rock Bottom or the Brahma Buster, that would hurt considerably more... Anyway, I'm still debating it. I just haven't taken a trip AWAY in a while so I'm getting that itch to do that.

22. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You know, Ming, Ireland is nice this time of year. ;)

23. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I plan on going to Comic Con this year

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh Come on Ming! We missed you last year at Comic-Con. The Fan Force isn't complete without your attendance :)

On the other hand, I do understand wanting to do something different with vacation time and money. I'm not thrilled with how expensive the rooms are and there is a slight chance I could give up my current reservation like I did last year and stay with you guys to save money.

- Kay Dee

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Heck, I'm not even sure about going myself, but I went ahead and reserved the rooms nyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.