main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comic-Con: Snakes on a Plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by mrcottonsparrot, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Samuel L. Jackson will be at Comic-Con promoting the HOTTEST film this year, "Snakes on a Plane" I am DYING to see this symbiotic picture directed by someone not so into-himself that he actually listened to fans and I-net buzz and tweaked/reshot the film based on what the fans said they wanted...(ya might wanna make a note of that, GEORGE LUCAS...) Anyway, they finally showed the first (ahem) *real* trailer (unlike all the great fan-made ones) at X-Men opening night, and 1/3 of the audience (those of us that are totally into the SOAP phenomonen) went ballistic, while the other 2/3 were like "huh, what?" It was great. Can't wait. Friday at 5:45 p.m., no doubt packing Hall H...

Caryn B.
    The Parrot

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    After listening to Mark and Brian just RAG on this film repeatedly.. (and absolutely dying laughing from listening to them each and every time).. I'm definitely going to pass. I know, its SUPPOSED to be cheezy and incredibly, unbelievably bad.. but I just can't get past even hearing the name mentioned without losing it totally. I'm sure it will have a cult following, and I'm a HUGE Ed Wood fan, so for me to pass on something soooooooo cheezy, tacky, and horribly bad is saying a lot for me. But...o_O Ed Wood's stuff was so great because of how truly he believed in what he was creating. This appears to be bad..just for the sake of "how bad can we make it." Thanks for the info anyways.

*Wishing had recorded all the M&B routines on how bad this film is..* [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] *

3. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Hey, I'd see Samuel L. Jackson in a burlap bag, bucket on his head, banging two pans together for two hours, happily. I'd rather go to an honestly "intentionally" bad picture than one that's proclaimed to the masses as the be-all end-all and ends up being two hours (and ten dollars) I'll never get back again...(several candidates spring immediately to mind...). I also don't listen to "reviews" when I don't think the film hasn't even been snuck yet. It's like people declaring that a book/film/whatever is horrible, then admitting in the same conversation that they haven't even read/seen it! Maybe M&B were looking at all the fan-made trailers, scenes, etc. that are running rampant on the 'net. And I also love Ed Wood pictures. ;)

The Parrot
    Caryn B.
    Chomping at the bit, tickets in hand, for the round-the-clock shows/POTC prop display at the El Cap this weekend...

4. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I've seen the trailers for SOAP waaaayyy before M&B ever started in..and it still didn't peak my interest.. just not my thing that's all...

But hey.. I dislike Sound of Music too...so nobody likes everything..tis ok..just for me, if it started Johnny Depp and Ewan McGregor and was directed by Spielberg himself...It still doesn't interest me...but go have fun

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hi, guys!

FYI, I ordered some Rebel Legion patches for Chanel, similar to the 501st ones made in 2003. I'll bring some to ComicCon if you want one. I'm setting aside half (1000 for her friends who knew her in Cali, then sell the rest on the Rebel legion boards. If you're interested, please post here:

http://boards.theforce.net/san_francisco_ca/b10448/24363032/p1/?5

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Already posted, Matt. And of course you know that Jos and I both want one. We will pay you at ComicCon when we pick them up. Thanks!![:D]

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Oops! That should read "100", NOT "1000". Sorry. :eek:

8. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I gave it a shot and watched the trailer, so as not to make a blind judgement.

And I'm in the "I'm not spending my money on this" group.

I just can't get past the whole concept pitch...

"Okay, you'll love this one. We got Sam Jackson, SAM JACKSON.. and get this.. its a new type of horror film, reality type, could really happen, it plays into everyone's fears...it's snakes.. on a plane..."

Later...

"Line forms to the left to file for unemployment... and your agent will have to file on his own as well".

This will either be the biggest hit of the year or more likely the biggest bomb. If people actually spend money to go see this, and if it makes money, it will be the biggest marketing coup ever, bigger than that Spiders film in 2000, which had the most prophetic quote...

"This is creepy...like a bad science fiction movie."

And it was.

But it had great marketing, so people went to see it the first week, after which time word got out and it mercifully vanished from the cinemas.

Sorry, but Hollywood will have to try harder than that to get my $9 plus $10 more for popcorn and soda.

After films like Superman, a LOT harder than that.

9. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Well, the marketing alone is just a kick -- they had a "walk through" snake/fuselage kind of thing (think Monstro at the storybookland ride at DL) at SDCC which had props, costumes, etc. inside -- but the best part was the attendant wings and "emergency safety card" promo they were handing out -- graphics and oddly drawn generic passengers just like the real thing ("Do not open door if you see fire, debris, smoke, snakes...") with appropriate icons, "Seat cushion may be used to bash at snakes" etc etc. The presentation was just as sold out/SRO as the Star Wars Spectacular before it (I would imagine a lot of hangers on...) and with SLJ delivering the uncensored signature line in person to an adoring crowd, it was like a revival meeting.

Look, I know it's going to be cheesy crap. So does everyone else. I'm not disagreeing with that POV, I'm embracing it, as does the film's marketing itself. I've seen allegedly "great" films that turned out to be crap, and the other way around. Heck, a bucketload of people will actually soon shell out money to see Phantom Menace AGAIN, just because it's in 3D this time. Not me, I assure you, but hey, each to the d*v*l his own way...

Caryn B.
    The Parrot

10. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Well whatever flips your board, heh.

11. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Enjoy...

http://www.jaypinkerton.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=36323&sid=a45c7b50650af9dec6f47123ce3e4152

A very small sampling of of clever fans just having fun with it (an attitude often touted on this very board), which has not only been embraced by the director, but encouraged.

This really isn't any different from, say, that trailer someone cobbled together for Episode 3, with all the strange Jimmy Smits images to feature him as Bail Organa...weird, but cool.

From another site, about the name:

"It was temporarily changed to Pacific Air Flight 121 and then Pacific Flight 121 and then just Flight 121 before finally landing back on the original working title of Snakes On A Plane. I think they figured it was going to be bad, so they might as well have a bad name to make it look like they did it on purpose. Kind of what happened with Eight Legged Freaks, which was originally called Arac Attack and they thought it sounded too much like Iraq Attack.. They should have called it Fat Albert on a Plane...with snakes...and bling."

Anyway, bad or good, I deem it amusing to me, anyway. And SLJ held a couple of lovely live pythons during his talk at ComicCon, so he gets props for that (who's going to tell HIM about the live-animal policy, sucka?).

The Parrot

12. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060410g.php

13. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Sweet! Thanks! Also forgot to mention (I dunnow how) the live Anaconda they also had at the panel at Comic Con...which I must say was 'most impressive.'

And I do see your point about the ridiculousness/badness of it all -- like the "Speed with Snakes" aspect where (allegedly) the snakes are released into the hold when the plane reaches a certain altitude-- but I'm happy to suspend disbelief for a couple hours, heck, that's what going to the show is all about... It's not War & Peace, but I doubt anyone's expecting that!

The Parrot
    Caryn B.

14. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    So close....so verrrrrry clooooose....

"We have to put a barrier, between us...and the snakes!"
    Actual line of dialogue by Samuel L. "MF-bomb" Jackson

And after having seen a longer trailer now, I know the REAL reason MK doesn't want to go -- the bad guy's name is Kim, and several characters spend an inordinate amount of time and colorful cursing Kim. I dig, I dig.

Caryn B
    The Parrot

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    ahhh.. Been cussed out by the best of them...so a B film cussing doesn't count LOL

16. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Final observations:

Pirates of the Caribbean, DMC best one day take: $55 MILLION, opening weekend, $135 Million, total domestic take to date (60 days now), $414 Million.

Snakes on a Plane First day take: $13 million, Entire domestic take since August 18th: $44 Million.

Sorry Sam, I wouldn't plan on a sequel if I were you.

:'(

Too bad they killed him off, he could do more Star Wars stuff...

wait, DID he actually die? Okay, so he got his hands cut off, fried and then tossed off a 300 story building, but did ANYONE SEE HIM SPLAT????

Hmmmmm.........

Heck, if Anakin could survive his limbs being severed, burning and then roasting next to a lava stream, who's to say...

17. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Sorry the snakes didn't work so well for you, Sam..there's always voiceovers.
    *evil giggling*

18. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If Mace didn't die, I'll go and kill him myself. What a waste of brown robes that creep was.

19. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Ah, he wasn't that bad. Kind of a moody wet blanket at get togethers,

"This party is over!"

At least he made a good party favor for that last little reception, "Look, Lady Padme, fireworks at the senate, ah, a shooting star, you should make a wish!"

*the sounds of faint screams fading...fading...fading...*

Of course Ani always shows up late, but he got things really rollin' after that!

20. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    PotC: Giant Disney-uber-alles juggernaut family-friendly film, which would have been amazingly successful even if it had been named "PotC: Evil monkeys fly out of my..." No-brainer, big whoop.
    SoaP: Rated R (by choice) which is a huge cut out of ticket sales, meant to be bad. But I enjoyed it just the same, for that very reason.

And, uh, a film being bad has HARDLY in and of itself stopped a sequel from being made before... it is a tax shelter, y'know.

And now I'm enjoying my DVD of the ORIGINAL "Gojira" FINALLY...happy days...

TheParrot
    Caryn B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.