main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Comic-Con

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Just got my postcard announcing that hotel reservations open on January 14.

KJA (Kevin J. Anderson, for those who don't read the SW books) is a special guest this year.

Who has plans to attend? (Preview Night is July 21, then July 22 - 25 for the con.)

Helen

2. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    unfortunately i won't be able to go this year to CC. I had a blast last year seeing all those SW people dressed and all those comic-girls "almost" dressed....
    But i'll look forward to seeing the pictures.
    hope you all have a great time.

3. Clawdite_Daisy

Clawdite_Daisy Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    Maybe I'll be one of those "almost" dressed girls this year.

4. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I'll likely be there all four days this year, unfortunately, it'll be on business.

5. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll be there too!! I didn't receive a post card though, but I should make reservations soon. Are there special discount rates for Con goers at certain hotels?

6. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I haven't gotten a postcard either. Perhaps it is because I did not stay at one of the cool hotels near the convention center. Our summer plans are still up in the air so I am not sure we will be there. I hope we can because it is possible they will have major Star Wars presentations like they did a couple of years back.

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Re the hotels, yeah, Matt, the con does have special rates at the surrounding hotels. Not that those are cheap...last year the Comfort Inn was going for $109.00 a night, the Clarion for $124.00, the Bristol Court $120.00, and those were the cheapest ones on the list. I'm thinking of staying with a friend this year LOL.

There are ways to stay further out and take the trolley or the official shuttle down to the convention center. That being said, it is high season in San Diego in July, so the rates are still going to be their highest wherever you stay.

But I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Helen

8. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    MY buddies got a group discount on top of the con discount last year, (they had a booth though) and I think they paid somewhere around $115 per night to stay at the adjoined Marriott.

9. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Unless Bernie's a guest (which he SHOULD be this year, as they're doing a kind of Warren-reunion thingy) we'll probably skip it. We've done the show for the last three years in a row...and it is EXHAUSTING. And we never get out from the booth to see anything/anyone. :(

We're doing Pittsburgh and maybe the Halloween Chiller show--that's probably it.

I might come down to S.D. for one day though...

JediBith

10. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    OCSWS may have a booth again this year. We won't know for sure for a little while longer. A few of us will be going for all 4 days anyway though.

11. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I could get a 501st rate at the Marriot, but would need 3-4 people to share the room. It is $$$. Like 200.00, but it is RIGHT there.

Stayed with a friend last time, like to do it again. I am in.

Clawdite Daisy, regarding your post: No thank you. That would be scary. :(

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I got my postcard over the weekend. Our summer plans are in flux so I am now uncertain as to whether we are going or not.

13. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    Irrespective of who comes, It'll be cool to see any who come down. Mayhaps my new venture will have taken off enough to have a booth this year, elsewise, I'll be peddling info from my friends' booth. I'll look for y'all and try to hook you up with some free goodies, if I am able. Do any of you plan on attending E3? I'll probably be there (in "industrial espionage" mode) as well.

14. Jedi_Devi

Jedi_Devi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2003
    KJA'll be there?! Hells yeah!

I got my postcard the other day, and I think I should perhaps pre-register soon, as it's cheaper when it's paid early. I don't know about the hotels just yet, it's too far in advance for my mum to think about. >_0

Too bad that Jedi women are always fully dressed.

Jedi_Devi

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    TK, by E3, do you mean Celebration 3 for Episode 3 or do you mean the movie? I think many of us are planning on going to C3. Several of us went last time but did not know each other. Now, we will be able to hang out together, pool our lining up resources, and try to see as much as possible. We just need the particulars. The only thing that would keep me out would be my niece's graduation.

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Claudia, he means the Electronic Entertainment Exposition ("E3"), held each year at the L.A. Convention Center. It's all about the business of electronic gaming. Very cool stuff is presented at E3!

Helen

17. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I wish I could go to E3, but.. don't you need to be a special person to get in? It's not open to the public right?

..anyway.. ValedaKor, how do we make hotel reservations for Comic-Con thru Comic-Con? I think I'm going to stay at one of the hotels they are offering. I think it'll be more fun and less hassle by staying downtown.. it may cost more, but in the end, with parking, traveling, etc. it all works out to be the same.

I'm hoping they will have another Star Wars day, with some special stuff about Episode III (this will be THE Comic-Con before Episode III!). ..and I hope it's not just stuff we can already see on Hyperspace.

18. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    COMIC-CON RESERVATIONS ARE NOT OPEN UNTIL TOMORROW The website still has 2003 information, and there is no answer.

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Matt, yah, the travel desk opens tomorrow. You can either go through the website -- Comic-Con or call 1 877 552-6642 for the travel desk.

I have always made mine through the website, and never had any trouble. You get a confirmation page.

Although I probably won't do it this year, I have always stayed at the Clarion. It is the closest CHEAPEST hotel to the convention center (others are closer, like the Marriott, Hilton, etc., but way more expensive). The rooms are large, clean, and if you get a room on the convention center side you can check out the size of the crowds LOL. The Clarion does add on a parking charge, but even with that it is still the cheapest. Of course, I say this not being able to see this year's rates yet. So, we'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out the facts.

Helen

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Boy, I feel foolish now. I am way out of touch with respect to conventions.

21. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    I was saying the same about your response to my E3 question... I just thought E3 was E3... I didn't know it could have so many connotations. As far as I know, you have to be "in the industry" to get in (I'm not, but I know folkses who is, and they always have extra passes.) I may not go this year, but I'm angling for tickets (well, a neck-badge thingy, but you know what I mean). I will definitely be attending next year because the company will be an exhibitor, and I'm gonna appropriate a pass for myself. (similar to ComicCon scenario). At any rate, whatever conventions y'all end up at, I hope to see you there!

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, here are the hotel rates this year. The Clarion isn't even on the list! Can't imagine why that is -- the hotel was full last year. Maybe they wanted a rate that was way out of line, I dunno. Another odd thing is that the hotels are all showing as "not available." There must be a glitch in the travel system at the moment.

Description 1st Night (Single) all rates plus tax

Bristol Court Hotel Standard 1 Bed $127.00
    Comfort Inn Downtown Standard 2 Bed Room $112.00
    Comfort Inn Downtown Standard 1 Bed Room $112.00
    Embassy Suites Standard 1 Bed Room $172.00
    Hilton Gaslamp Quarter Standard 1 Bed Room $180.00
    Holiday Inn on the Bay Standard 1 Bed Room $145.00
    Horton Grand Standard 1 Bed Room $169.00
    Manchester Grand Hyatt Standard Room $172.00
    Marriott Hotel Standard City View Room $204.00
    Marriott Hotel Standard Bay View Room $224.00
    Marriott Hotel & Marina Executive Suites $432.00
    Omni San Diego Hotel Standard 1 Bed Room $180.00
    Quality Inn & Suites Standard 1 Bed Room $130.00
    Radisson Hotel Harbor View Standard 1 Bed Room $135.00
    Sheraton Suites Standard 1 Bed Room $135.00
    U.S. Grant Standard 1 Bed Room $149.00
    Westgate Hotel Standard Room $169.00
    Westgate Hotel 1 Bed Suite Upgrade $169.00
    Westin Horton Plaza Standard 1 Bed Room $148.00
    Wyndham Emerald Plaza Standard 1 Bed Room $149.00

With the Clarion being missing from the list, I think I'll definitely be staying at my friend's house this year...

Helen

23. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Wow, is there a place I can park my car for the whole weekend? Since I'll be sleeping in it.

24. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I just booked my room!!! Their website wasn't accepting reservations (it said hotels were unavailable), so I called in. I was able to book the Horton Grand @ $169/night. I'll be staying with my friend who I went with last year and all the other years I've gone to Comic Con.

So if you're looking for room, call in..1-877-552-6642. Hurry!

I think I paid like $110 for a room last year in Hotel Circle, and my friend had to sleep on a roll-away. The room was super small too.. plus we had to drive in downtown and look and pay for parking. So the extra cost is really worth it.. in my opinion.

EDIT: Ok.. room reservations are now available online. I guess I was just a little impatient. I know Comic-Con is still more than half a year away.. but hey.. it's something for me to look forward to.

25. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Sep 9, 2003
    CBM I used one of the remote paking locations and it was only like 8 bux for the day... I dunno about overnight parking, but they did have provisions there for "each 24 hour period", so it could be done, in theory, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.