main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Comic-Cons

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Jun 22, 2015.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Since I am going to my first comic-con in October, I thought it would be useful to hear some tips that anyone may have on comic-cons.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    NYCC I take it? I wanted to go, but was too slow in getting tickets.

I've never been but based on what I hear from others, my advice is "good luck."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't murder anyone.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    dont listen to this. murder everyone.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Compromise. Murder half the people there. Exactly half.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Rape the other half.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I've never been to a Comic Con, but I can offer some advice based on my attendance at several STAR WARS Celebrations:

1) Carefully watch the weather forecasts. Don't be surprised if a sudden snowstorm or hurricane starts up.
    2) Bring a folding chair or a cushion. Sitting on a concrete floor for long periods gets very uncomfortable.
    3) Leave yourself loads of time to get to big ticket events early, and be prepared to wait...and wait...and wait...
    4) When you go into merchandise areas, just keep repeating to yourself, "No, I'm not going to sell my car in order to buy (FILL IN THE BLANK)."

Have a good time.

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    spend money on good comfortable shoes for standing around.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I've attended many conventions and here are some basic tips:

• Wear comfortable shoes. If you're attending one of the larger conventions like NYCC, you'll most likely be standing for most of the day.
    • Bring bottles of water and snacks or better yet, a paper bag lunch. The conventions concessions stands will probably character $3-$5 for a bottle of water and perhaps up to $9 for a burger and $5 for fries. So you may want to Yelp or Google eating places around the convention center.
    • If you like collection artwork or posters, invest in a plastic print protector like this. At the event, they're usually priced around $5. A poster cylinder container with a strap is also worth the investment.
    [​IMG]
    • Look at the program guide. It's best to visit the website of the event and look at the program guide to see what events, panels and autographs will occur. If there's anyone of those thing you'd like to do, plan ahead. Set an itinerary.
    • Manage expectations. If you're attending a very large event like NYCC, expect large crowds and lines everywhere. Alot of first time convention goers to very large comiccons are often overwhelmed and frustrated by the crowds and lines. If there's something you want to do or a panel you want to attend, expect that a few thousand of other people probably want to do the same thing. So, if want to attend a panel, you may way to scout out the line at least two hours ahead to see if a line has started. If not, check back in an hour or earlier. Also, people typically line up to get into the event hours before the door actually open. So, it may take you awhile to get in.
    Here's a pic I took at this year's Star Wars Celebration. The line to get into the Episode VII movie props and exhibits was a 2 hour wait.

[​IMG]

From SDCC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Check out the special guest and artists list for the event. There maybe an actor/celebrity you'd like to meet or take a pic with. However, that can be expensive. Most celebrities charge about $40. More popular and relevant celebrities charge up to $100. And while you're looking at comic book artist list that will be at the event, don't forget to bring a comic book or something you'd like them to sign.
    • Bring cash. There were probably be alot of booths that only take cash, so have enough cash on hand you can manage. ATM at the event, may charge you like $5 to withdraw.
    • Bring a camera or make sure there's enough storage space on your smart phone for the tons of photos you'll likely take. Maybe a selfie stick, so you can take a photo like this with all your new friends.
    [​IMG]
    • Bring your camera or cell phone charger at the event, especially if you plan to be there all day. Just charge your phone at any open outlet at the event. Like these guys.
    [​IMG]

• Bring a backpack.
    • Have fun.
    • If you didn't get your badge/pass to get into the event prior to the day of the event, check to see where the registration or badge pick up is before you get there. It will save time and frustration. If you arrive hours before the doors open and if you're with a group of friends, I recommend splitting up. One group waits in the line to get into the event when the doors open and then other group picks up their badges, and then switch so the other group can pick up their badge/pass. Always work as a team. Maybe someone waits in line while the others get food or something.
    • If you're from out of town where the event is taking place, better know how your getting to the event. Whether it be a event shuttle, public transportation or rent a car. If you're driving, you better find out where to park and how much it costs to park so you can budget accordingly. Some parking garages will price gauge.
    That's all I can think of right now.

10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Smaller cons means more individuality and more to do and have fun. Sorry but if your con experience is about waiting in line half the time then its not worth it.

11. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    I am going to the Supernatural comic-con in Chicago and I have no idea how big it will be.

12. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    That sounds like something I would do lol.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It depends on who you talk to. The people that waited in line overnight to get into the area for the Star Wars Celebration opening ceremony felt it was worth the wait. Same with the people that camp out in line for Hall H at SDCC is worth the wait. Going to these events to be at a specific panel or something is like going to a rock concert or a sporting event. It's an experience that you can only get by attending. On a smaller level, it's like spending hours in line to see the first showing of the next Star Wars movie.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The SWCA overnight line was easily worth the wait. I caution that it's was pretty luxurious as far as overnight lines go: it was indoors, there were restrooms, concession stands operated all night, and we got free pizza. Even excluding the JJ pizza, I'm told that most overnight lines aren't like this.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only thing I can add is bring plenty of cash as some of the stands might not take cards. The venues I've been in for Celebration and other events here in the UK have ATMs but the lines for those are usually long. I can add to the wear comfortable shoes - this is not the time for high heels (if female) or breaking in a new pair of shoes (for any gender)..

16. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    Since I live only 4 hours away from Chicago, I was thinking of just driving there early in the morning. I have never waited in a line for anything before.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Were you one of the lucky ones that got a pizza from JJ?

Yeah, SDCC you have to camp outside, but there are plenty of places to get food and bringing it back to the line. I never camped out overnight in line at SDCC, so you might have to use a nearby hotel for restrooms. Here's a pic I took around 11pm to get into SDCC.

[​IMG]

If you get into the Hall H line early, you can at least sleep on the grass under a tent. I've seen people line up for Hall H at 3pm the day before.

[​IMG]

18. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Twenty years ago I would gladly wait in line. Now life is too short, its about making friends and experiencing cool things. Not spending time waiting.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've plenty of cool people from all over the world waiting lines. When I was waiting to get into the Star Wars Battlefront presentation, I spoke to a guy that was originally from England but recently relocated with his family to LA. He was talking about how his sons first become interested in Star Wars and whatnot. At SDCC, I've met people from Germany, Australia and South Africa, as well as various parts of the United States. One of the points of conventions is to meet with strangers and talk about nerd stuff.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    When I arrived they were still handing out the JJ pizza, but I didn't take a box because my group had purchased their own pizza earlier and still had some left.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's cool of you. Some people would have still taken the JJ pizza. I heard that someone put a JJ pizza box on ebay.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The two that I've done locally over the last four years, were smaller venues but had some interesting stuff. They're not in league with San Diego and New York, but they weren't too bad either. I mostly went to both for the comics, but did take a look at the stuff that was set up for the whole weekend. Smaller venues won't have huge lines that you have to wait in, to get in and you can go early enough to get your pick of merchandise to buy or gawk at.

Indeed. In 2011, I had a budget of $60 dollars, but only spent about forty on comics. Last month it was $80 dollars, but only half of it was spent. Both times I went the deals were good and I made smart purchases over emotional ones. If you're into buying something like action figures, statues, paintings and what not, you really need to start saving. I cannot stress that enough. But save for only what you think you need and stick to that budget.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    If you're really into going to comic cons, then you'll enjoy both the smaller and larger conventions.

I remember attending a comic convention in San Jose, CA a few years ago when it still was called "Supercon" and was held in a mental tent. There was probably only about a few hundred people (if that) in attendance, so very small venue and crowd. I enjoyed it as I was able to meet Marina Sirtis at walk around without bumping into anyone.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If you want to be treated like a celebrity, go in costume.

25. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    If you want to be treated like a piece of meat, go in costume if you are female.

Sorry, its in poor taste but we have a long way to go before idiots respect woman at comic cons.