main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Comic-Cons

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Tru dat.

I've been seeing alot more of these signs at Cons.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love comiccons. Haven't been to SDCC, but I've been to WizardWorld Chicago and C2E2 a couple times. I love seeing the costumes and taking pictures, and this year was the first time I went in costume. It was sooo much fun to be constantly stopped and asked to have a picture taken.

I'm not big on the panels and have been too cheap for pics/autographs with celebs in the past, but this year I want to get a picture with Nathan Fillion. As I'm working on another costume for a cosplay rave next month, I'm not sure which costume I'll wear for the picture.

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Nathan Fillion, did you get an autographed picture of him in Castle or some other work of his.

Hopefully Slither

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would like to do costumes sometime. I have no talent for them myself but I got one of those replica Imperial uniform things for a price similar to what a costumer would charge anyhow.

Panels are can be hit/miss, depending on the quality of the panelists. Being ON panels, though, is a total blast.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One of these days I'm going to go to a Comic Con in my Ventress costume and bring a real lightsaber.

So I can murder exactly half the people there.

6. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    It is interesting Jello, you can get involved with costuming without having a costume. Many of those in costume need handlers or wranglers depending on location. Sure you won't be in a lot of pictures but you get to see so much that the person in costume may not even see. Its not easy but it is just as rewarding. But you have to be able to swallow your pride and realize no one but the one in costume cares who you are.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    These threads just aren't the same without moviefan.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One other rule I have is to arrive to the area early, giving yourself a full day free before the event starts, and leave the day after the event finishes. The former gives you time to check out the area, maybe take a tour, and just relax before the stress starts. The latter gives you time to unwind and ease down, rather than watch the closing ceremonies while constantly checking your watch going, "Hurry! I've got a flight to catch!"

I remember the former came in handy when I went to Celebration II in Indianapolis. I walked to the Convention Center the day before everything started, and was able to just walk right in. I looked around and got an idea of the general layout, and no one seemed to notice me. Finally, there was a PA announcement that anyone who wasn't supposed to be there was in trouble, so I left right away. That'd never happen today, but it did help me figure things out beforehand.

9. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Its like Superbowl, arrive early to get an idea what to do and leave late after the festivities have wind down.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How is it anything like the Superbowl?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It costs several thousand dollars a ticket?

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Most people show up a few days ahead of time for all the events going on in the city hosting the superbowl. Then all the partying afterwards.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think that's a good idea, especially if you're from out of town. Go check out the host city. I mean, if I were go to NYCC, you bet I'll be checking out the rest of NYC.

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    If you find yourself in Brooklyn surrounded by young guys with big beards riding old timey bicycles and listening to weird music you are in Williamsburg home of the hipster. Tread carefully and don't talk about eating meat.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!

It is a smaller convention, so it won't be too crazy(hopefully). It is in Chicago and my sister who is going with me is familiar with the city, so we will be okay.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

they had the phoenix comic con here a month or so ago . i didn't go. but they were actually putting out the word not to touch women. Seriously who think's this is okay? and that's not the first time i've heard this.

18. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    As someone who has been a victim of unwanted touching, this is actually disturbing. I am dressing up as a male character, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    For the two that I went to, I did that as it allowed me the opportunity to go through the short boxes and pick out what I wanted before it was picked over. As to panels, the ones from last month were pretty good. There as Mick Foley, Walter Koeing, Billy West, Jaimie Bamber and Maurice LaMarche among others. A pretty well rounded group.

Have you checked out the misogynist thread over in the Senate? That'll give you a good idea.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The author John Scalzi has done quite a few blog posts in the subject of cons and harassment of women in the past. Just a language note on the blog comments in general - some words are used there that aren't allowed here.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Today is WizardWorld and pic with Nathan Fillion today. Decided on Ms Frizzle costume as the Ursula one is too unwieldy for a large crowd. Woke up a 3 because I'm excited (and a bit of a spaz :p )

22. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Ummm...... having been to SDCC multiple times, SWC multiple times, and to a Super Bowl I can say that they are not at all alike other than having large numbers of people in the one location sharing in a common love for something.

Most of the suggestions I would have are already in the thread: good shoes, snacks, water bottles (just fill in your room at the start of the day and use the water fountains to top up when you have a chance even if you are only half empty), chargers (although I'll also add bringing a USB battery pack as it means you can just charge your phone while in a panel or line, potentially multiple times), have an openness to talking to the people you are in line with as you can get some interesting stories (both good-interesting and creepy-interesting), take a small book or have something on your phone/tablet/iPad for any time you are waiting in line and don't have social people around you, have a budget on what you will spend both in total and each day (as there are things that might crop up), don't impulse buy unless you see something you can't live without and there is limited stock, and also be prepared to have to sacrifice or miss things in place of other things you want more (merch and panels).

And the choice to wait in line for an extended time or overnight is a personal choice no matter how old you are. I've done overnight for Hall H at SDCC outside twice around the age of 30 and happily did so (meeting some interesting people in the process, some decades my senior and junior). I chose for SWCA to not wait for the JJ/KK panel but that was influenced by the fact it was being simulcast, and I didn't come prepped for an overnighter. To get into B20 at SDCC I've waited for 2-3 hours (finished off Dance of Dragons one time) and have done the same for Carrie Fisher. I've also looked at lines and decided I didn't want that panel enough and walked right into a different one instead (or in one instance at SDCC the panel before the one I wanted and really enjoyed that).

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Went to Heroes and Villains Fanfest/Walker Stalker Con in Chicago this weekend and want to share something I discovered.

At a previous con I did a photo op with Nathan Fillion. Not cheap and you stand in line for quite a long time all the while the line minders are telling you not to try and talk with them, hug them or do anything that may take any time at all. When you finally get back there, stand in place, smile and leave. Now Nathan, once we walked back, held out his hand introduced himself (like we didn't know who might be) and asked our names. then we got in place and the picture was snapped. Might have been a whole minute with him, but still we did leave with feeling pretty damn good.

In going to this last con, a number of people told us to do the autograph/selfie line instead as it is cheaper, and you have more time to chat with the celebs. Discovered they were correct. We did John Barrowman who I opted for a selfie and autograph, which both were still less then the official photo op and I got to hug and to chat with him for a couple minutes.

I also wanted to meet Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin on Gotham) since last year I was sick and missed the con. Daughter had gotten me a signed autograph and this man surprised her by taking a get well, thanks for watching video for me. He was amazing sweet and we talked for a good 5 minutes.

In short, it seems that doing the autograph/selfie line is cheaper and you get more time with the celeb as opposed to the photo op (though you get a crisp new picture to leave with). Granted, might not be the same for all celebs or conventions, though my daughter is going to C2E2 and I hope to hit WizardWorld Chicago and Celebration 8 and can see if this holds true for those as well.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    In a couple weeks daughter and I are going to Chicago for the Supernatural Convention. She talked me into it as she became obsessed as she's binging the show. I think it's taken her 2 months to get to season 12 which she in on now. lol

More pricey for tickets than any con I've been to yet, though the photo ops are pretty much the same and we decided to go for one with Jensen/Jared/Misha since we can split the cost. I think I may do a Castiel (Misha in costume) as he's my fave character and I figure I'm won't be doing this con again. We'll see. Have to admit, I'm now getting excited.

25. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005