main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Comic-Cons

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Just heard that Mark Hamill AND Kevin Conroy are going to be at NY Comic Con this fall!!!! Argh... my credit card is still recovering from Celebration!

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I literally bought tickets to NYCC hoping this would be the case. Already have Conroy's autograph but glad he's coming. I will be stalking the schedule page every day until Mark's photo op is up for purchase. And then I never have to go to NYCC ever again if
    I so choose. Cannot wait to place his autograph and photo next to Carrie's.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm glad the search function seems to be working again in the forum. I was looking for a place I could show this selfie with Paul Blake. He was charging $20 for selfies; but when I gave him the money he handed it back to me. A nice guy for sure. I was wearing my AT-AT shirt. Yeah I know the image isn't the best.

[​IMG]

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    He was in Knoxville last weekend, real nice guy.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I actually felt sorry for him when he handed my $20 back. In retrospect, I probably should have had a photo of him signed.

6. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    I got my ANH poster signed and a picture with him. He only charged $30 while everyone else was charging $40-$60. I felt kind of bad too. I told my wife I felt like just tipping him an extra ten bucks because he was so nice.

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I've gotten a couple SW related autos in the past few years.

Taylor Gray (voice of Ezra Bridger on Rebels) was there at Winter Con on Long Island a in 2015. At the time they had three different Boba Fett actors who had something to do with the character between TCW and the OT; but Taylor Gray was there at the auto booth with no lines. Went right up to him, talked to him, and I talked to him for awhile about the show (mostly about Ahsoka lol). He's a nice young man.
    [​IMG]

(he signed the picture "Ahsoka's Tano, May the Force be With You! Taylor Gray)

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  8. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    That's cool. Haven't met him yet. I've been collecting SW autographs (mostly on posters) for 25+ years. It never gets old. It does get expensive though.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I got this dude's autograph and picture this past Winter at the Con I got Gray's the previous year. Obviously he had a pretty big line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I attended the 2015 Celebration and planned on getting Carrie Fisher's autograph with the ticket I bought.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, Carrie did not appear for the signing and everyone that bought a ticket and did not receive an autograph was refunded their money. However, I was able to have the photo op with her.

11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I've learned not to go to autograph sessions, because I never know what to say and I always end up looking like a bigger idiot than usual. (Sounds impossible, but it does indeed happen.)

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ Yeah, I know the feeling. However, for big name celebrities that draw huge crowds, you typically only have the amount of time it takes for them to sign their name before they more onto the next person in line. So, typically you only have time to say "Hi" and "Thank you."

Juliet316 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Juliet316 and Healer_Leona like this.
  14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very jealous.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I've considered going to SDCC, but it just seems too big, too busy and too expensive for me. I figure the crowds would get me feeling very nervous pretty quickly.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pretend everyone is invisible!

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    You can get pretty good live coverage on IGN Twitter they have a live streaming video!
    https://twitter.com/IGN

Healer_Leona likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You know, I didn't know where else to talk about this until I did a search in the forum. I guess people don't talk much about the comic cons lately even though I'm sure many people here go to them. There's a local one by me on Long Island called Eternal Con coming up next month. It's held at the Nassau Colisseum; not even a quarter as big as the SDCC or NYCC, but it's still pretty good. They get a decent guest list every year. You can see the guest list here: http://eternalcon.com/celebrity-guests/. Ironically enough, Margot Kidder was supposed to be among the guests as well.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Quite often, the smaller comic conventions are really great experiences because there is less of a crowds and allows for more room to breath and explore. Additionally, it may give attendees more time with the celebrities guests. Typically, at the larger conventions, attendees are herded through the celebrity meet&greet process. @Ahsoka's Tano are you going to Eternal Con?

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I plan on going to Eternal Con; but I'm not sure which day. I got tickets to Newsday's "Field of Wheels" car show that was postponed from this coming Saturday to June 16th. Obviously that would mean I'd go to the con on the 17th; but that's also another rain date for the car show. So let's just say if it doesn't rain on that Saturday, I'll be going to the indoor con on the Sunday.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Those are some great pics. I was in San Diego for an unrelated convention for work in December 2013. I can't even begin to contemplate how crazy it is during the SDCC.

If I remember to I could post an album of pictures from last year's NYCC later. It's arguably the biggest one on the East Coast.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    NYCC, along with DragonCon in Atlanta are on my bucket list. Both of those seem to sellout quickly once tickets go on sale. However, I think hotels are easier to come by than SDCC.

The first year I attended SDCC, in 2008, was the last year it would not be sold out. I remember buying my tickets like a couple of months before the event and it was pretty easy to book a hotel in the downtown area that was in walking distance to the convention center. The convention floor wasn't packed shoulder-to-shoulder as it is now, but it was very well attended.

It was the next year when SDCC would be sold out as it was the Twilight fans that descended upon SDCC, which created so much friction with regular SDCC goers. I remember people picking up cardboard to make signs that said "Twilight Ruined Comic-Con" at the 2009 SDCC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twilight fans were considered noobs and were at SDCC for only one reason. And despite that only one reason for being at SDCC, they took up so much space and let the word out of how great SDCC was.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Jeez I'd feel bad for not only the veteran fans in attendance but the Twilight fans as well; considering they were probably mostly youngsters who were treated very harshly by the others.

I wouldn't know about the hotel situation in NYC because I just take the train in from Long Island for the con.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I saw some of those younger Twilight fans didn't really understand the backlash as I saw the confused look and hurt on their faces. And I remember this comment from Kevin Smith back in 2009:

Yes, those younger Twilight fans are older now and are probably fans for the MCU and the DCFU dressed up as such characters. "There's a plan and it's working."

Ahsoka's Tano and Juliet316 like this.