main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Comic relief in Ep. 7.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by acroyear7, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I hope the humor is scaled down to Ep. 4 and Ep. 5 levels. I hope there is nothing cringe-worthy. Good heavens if there were a scene that mirrored the Han/Greedo scene in ANH where this time Han shoots first. I hope the humor doesn't go for cheap laughs like that. Keep the humor subtle, yet witty. And R2 and 3P0 should be the only real source of any 'funny' scenes.

2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Agreed 100%

3. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Good thread.

As Kasdan once said, one things that stands out about ANH is that is very funny, it has a lot of comedic scenes and shticks. Han Solo trying to pass as a stormtrooper after blasting their way through the detention center is hilarious, as is his attempt at messing with Luke about his chances with Leia. Even the droids, their purpose in that movie is not only as a narrative device but as comic relief as well. There's very little physical comedy because there's no need for it. Off the top of my head I can only remember 3po tangled up in wires after the TIE Fighter attack and that's it.

I think what we really need are normal, non force users as part of the main cast and I'm pretty sure we're getting that. A lot of the comedy in the OT came from Han Solo, he delivers a lot of one liners that are just great: "Sorry about the mess", "Hurry up will ya, haven't got all day!", etc.

It's plain old school, screenwriting 101 type of humor which almost always work and has it's place in a family adventure movie with a lot of characters with distinct personalities. Interaction is everything.

That's why the prequels faild hard in this aspect. TPM relied heavily on fake physical comedy from a character nobody liked and the droids were only there for fan service while everybody was facepalming at the notion of Darth Vader building 3PO. Besides those moments, every other character out there was either a do-good jedi or a boring politician. Not much fun in that, huh?

The best comedy comes from interaction, that's where the classic wit relied in the classic trilogy and it did work. I've never seen anyone older that 10 years old laugh at that creature burping outside Jabba's palace or at Jar Jar stepping on bantha poop. I have seen people cringe at those moments, though. Not a pretty sight.

TooMuchBBQ, TKT, Abadacus and 5 others like this.
  4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

That depends. The R2 humor in RotS was worse than Jar Jar.

5. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    As long as I get some true Solo one liners Ill be good

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Worse... I don't know about that but it was kinda bad at times. Not nearly as good as their humorous moments in the OT, most definatly true.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  7. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    AOTC had good comedy. Yoda fighting Dooku was hilarious. :p

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    *waves hand*

You want to go home and rethink your life :p ;)

Immortiss, Blip, Seeher and 2 others like this.
  9. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    In a movie like this humor can't be forced or in the forefront it needs to fit with the character subtle humor in star wars has always been the best humor.

10. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

Hey ya wanna buy some death sticks?

HMMMM Death sticks you say?

A stick of death?

Why YES, YES I WOULD!!!

11. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Like the OP said, with humor scaled down to Ep. 4 and Ep. 5 levels.

Immortiss likes this.
  12. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    R2 WORSE that Jar Jar?! You mean Jar Jar overall or just Jar Jar in Ep. 3 (which he was all but non existent)? No way was R2 worse than Jar Jar. But if you have to make the case, the same mind behind Jar Jar's antics was the same one for R2.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    It's not about the quantity of humor, it's about quality. ESB may be the darkest film, but it's also probably the funniest. ANH similarly is filled with good humor and joke moments. Star Wars is at its best when it's able to remind audiences not to take everything too seriously.

But there's a difference between lightening a scene up with some good, character based humor ("You think a girl like her and a guy like me-" "No.") and throwing in broad, Looney-Toons esque slapstick forced in there under the assumption that it's "what the kids want" (as a guy who saw TPM as a six year old, it isn't.)

JJ wants to throw in some humorous banter, and a few visual gags like Han running into the room full of Stormtroopers? I'm all for it. But space-camels farting into peoples faces as they make exaggerated facial expressions? No thank you.

14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I think that crap in the hangar with the super battle droids was worse than Jar Jar overall since not only was it stupid but it broke the established laws of the universe several times

solo77 and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    A movie needs a break from the tension now and then. If a movie is intense from start to finish, the level intensity seems to drop off, as we become used to it. Break it up with ligher moments and the serious scenes take on more weight.

Immortiss and ForgottennJedi1986 like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It depends on what you mean by "funny" scenes. I want some funny dialogue and banter between the human characters, too. ANH-levels of "slapstick" humor with the droids is fine. I'd prefer not to have any Jar-Jar style humor though. And no "Oh, this is such a drag" puns from C-3PO.

Immortiss and ForgottennJedi1986 like this.
  17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Threepio's puns were the worst. I can't believe those made it to film.

markdeez, TKT, Immortiss and 7 others like this.
  18. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Break the tension yes, but not our willing suspension of disbelief. or the coherence of the movie.

Yeah a pretty bad performance from a linguist. I tend to like puns(and sarcasm) but not the C-3PO puns.

Immortiss, Blip and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I'm not gettin' down on George tooooo much, but with regard to comic relief it's great that he's not writing the ST (and I'm not a total Jar Jar hater). Most people don't realize that many of the funny lines from Episode IV were not even written by George, but by others hired to polish up the script (I believe it was Gloria Katz and Willard Huyick, who also wrote Temple of Doom). I got this info from the OT Annotated Screenplays book (I don't own it now, so if anyone does feel free to look it up to confirm).

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Though I'm pegging him as one of the leads, I do recall a member here saying they see Domhnall Gleeson as a side player whose role is essentially the comic-relief element.

When I watch Gleeson at-work, I see the guy as possessing a natural sort of self-effacing charm which reminds me a bit of ANH-era Luke. But he does seem to have a keen sense of humor which has translated in some of his on-camera moments, too, so I can see where that poster was coming from.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    This is Star Wars, science fantasy. I don't think anyone watching a Star Wars movie expects it to obey the laws of the universe.

22. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I ment their universe. Cohesion and coherence are two laws that each and every universe must obey, fictional or otherwise. If battle droids are kill on sight except for one scene to make sure R2 can get a clear shot at their photoreceptors, and said photoreceptors feal pain, I'm gonna call bullyouknowwhat.

23. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't want to laugh out loud so much as just have a great time as I see our heroes interact with each other when things aren't too serious, mostly when Vader wasn't around. I also loved seeing them in strange situations, like trying to have C-3P0 communicate with the Ewoks or Han and the group realizing they weren't in a cave.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Humour is very important. The prequels went from one extreme to the other, from outright childish slapstick for the under 10s, to bone-dry Machiavellian politics. The OT nailed it, especially in the first two films, when it came to witty character quips and subtle sight gags. What I always like about the witty banter between the lead trio was that it usually arose out of the situation and the differences between them, rather than being contrived for a cheap gag. In other words, the humour was a natural extension of the characters and their story. Of course there were sillier moments, but these were few and far between and usually at the expense of the robots. Perhaps most importantly, we didn't get a single poop joke.

25. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Don't I recall a deleted scene from Ep IV where Han encounters Jabba outside his ship and Han steps on Jabba's tail? As I recall, Jabba's eyes bugged out when he did that and Han didn't break stride in his conversation with the worm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.