main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive ComicBook Artist Wanted!!!*

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Minela, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Hey, I'm interested in finding a good comic book style artist to help me with my comic book. I've been posting for awhile in the fanfic forums and would really like to turn that story into a comic. It started out as a comic, but since I'm not that great of an artist it never developed into one.

Anyway, I think it would be fun and we could work on it together. If you want to check out what the story is about, there is a link in my signature (Heart of Lord Vader).

2. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, speaking as a guy who writes two star wars comics online and has a dozen or so pin-up artists, I can attest that the position you are currently in is a difficult one. Finding a talented artist willing to draw your comic is a very daunting enterprise, because the man-hours required by an artist dwarf those needed by the writer at least 5 fold. Now while common logic would suggest the easiest way to find one is to cast a wide net such as this post, you would be surprised how often this sort of post receives no replies at all.

To get my first artist, Steve Criado, to sign on to do the Cracken's Crew comic book, I had spent weeks searching for "him." I sent out over 125 emails to individual artists, commenting and constructively critiquing over 300 pieces of fan art, and letting them know that it was THEM that I wanted for my book specifically, because of the skill and talent they bring to the table. This made each artist I contacted feel special, and made them much more interested in hearing about the project. So basically the first paragraph of my email was tailored to that artist, mentioned pieces of theirs I liked and why (showing I knew a little bit about lineart, line weights, perspectives and what have you helped it sound like I knew what I was talking about), and the rest of the email was a form letter that I had written explaining the basis of the project and what I was interested in collaborating on.

Of course, a web comic is a huge committment for an artist (I fight with my guys constantly just to get a page a month!) Because of this, most artists are shy to sign on to comic projects, especially those of any real length (you are much mroe likely to find someone to do 7 pages than 88).

So it can take a while. What I did find, however, was once I had one artist, and we had some work we had created together to show off, it became very easy to get more artists. It established a sense of legitimacy about my site, and that can make all of the difference. Since coming to these forums, in fact, I have had three very talented people PM me and ASK to be contributing artists, which is amazing.

But yeah, I just wrote this little how-to reply to help you out, since I am a firm believer in the star wars fan comic, and want to see more of them out there. Another piece of advice. If you actually do get an artist, be prepared to surrender some creative control. Unless you are paying an artist, they are going to want to infuse some of their creativity into the project as well. You can't be a dictator on the pages, and artists will frequently deviate slightly from the script. You have to be flexible in accomodating dialogue and changes, unless they hurt the overall story, in which case you and the artist get to butt heads. But the focus should NOT be on bringing your specific vision to life, but on making the best web comic the TWO of you can make.

Anyway, enough yapping from me,

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com

3. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Thank you so much for your input. I will deffenitley try to e-mail some artists. I would love nothing more than to at least get this started. I would not mind at all getting some creative help in stoyline. Actually I would very much welcome it (as long as it doesn't compromise the core of the story).

Wish me luck. I will go check out your comic now.

4. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Hi Minela!

I hope you do find an artist for your comic!!!

I do ask that all future requests be posted in the "open call fan art request thread' located at the top of the Fan Art section. Also we have a volunteer fan art section where you can browse the artists who are willing to do commissions on a regular basis and see if any of them fit what you need, and then just PM them.

Welcome to the fan art section!!!

God bless and Merry Christmas!
    ~N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.