main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidSouth Comicpalooza- Houston- March 26-28

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by TI1420, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    www.comicpalooza.com

Comicpalooza will hit the George R. Brown Convention center the last weekend in March. The folks running this want to establish a ComiCon or Dragon Con size event that will be an annual fixture in the Houston and national fandom scene. They have gotten the support of the City of Houston, who would love to see a big annual convention bring thousands of people to the city each year and have given Comicpalooza well over 30,000 square feet of space at the GRB.

The organizers are really keen to have a bunch of Star Wars fans and costumes in attendance. I have been coordinating 501st participation and it looks like general Star Wars participation as well, though I am happy to take any and all help I can get.

Here are some things we are lining up:
    *panels for "501st meet n greet", "Lightsaber Academy", "Houston Fan Force meet n greet", prop building and collecting, R2 building, and more.

*Star Wars booth for all Star Wars fan groups; 501st, Rebel Legion, and Fan Force. We'll have a 10x10' booth in the dealer's room with power and we have plans to set up a green screen photo booth where folks can pay a little for a photo with some Star Wars characters and we'll photoshop in a SW background. All funds will go to a charity, likely Texas Children's Hospital.

*Lazer Tag for TCH
    There will be a Lazer Tag arena set up in the dealer's room available throughout the weekend to the general public. A couple of time throughout the weekend, people will pay a little extra to play Lazer Tag against Stormtroopers, with the "extra" (probably $5/head) going to the charity of our choosing. It looks like a HALO costume group may also do something similar, and the organizers want to see about maybe doing a HALO vs Star Wars event for spectators at some point.

There will be a lot to do at Comicpalooza, and a lot to do to prepare. Please PM or email me at bullseyetie<at>yahoo<dot>com if you have any questions, suggestions, or would like to volunteer yourself to help out.

If you make it to Houston for this convention, please be sure to come by the Star Wars booth and introduce yourself!

2. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I doubt we will be able to make it but I am so happy Houston is some con love.

3. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Just added:

Ray Parks!

Peter Mayhew!

Bruce Campbell!

FanForce, 501st, and Rebel Legion will all be sharing a booth (easier to keep it staffed that way) If you are coming to town for this convention, PM me or post in the Houston forum so we know to look for you.

4. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I didn't see Ray on the website. Is he a guest of 501st?

5. DarkSideDnB

DarkSideDnB Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2010
    I just wanted to say Hello to you all. I use to be on the forums back in the day, use to spend hours watching all the fan films.
    I am no stranger to the EU. I am coincidentally running the Mos Eisley Music Stage at this years con. I also created the flier that will be hitting Houston in the days leading up to the event. If you can, stop by the con and check our music stage out. It will be a lot of good performers and a lot of fun. Getting involved with this con has reignited my flame for the Star Wars Universe.

6. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Be sure to come by and introduce yourself at the Star Wars table!

7. TI1420

Nov 5, 2002
    Full weekend registration discounted from $40 to $25.... PM me by Friday, March 19th to get in on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.