main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

comics, are they worth the time ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    I'm upgrading my EU collection. I have all of the NJO,prequels, movies books,The 5 Zahn books and Shadows of the Empire. Plus some of The Essentails. Are the comics worth adding and if so please list 5 to 10. ( I know there must be thousands) Thanks.

2. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yes, I believe that the comics are worth your time. Here are some of the better ones:

Tales of the Jedi (particularly Redemption)
    Dark Empire Series (most relevant comic to the EU to date)
    The X-wing comics (particularly the Phantom Affair)

3. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Thanks Ska-WOokie

Is Tales of the Jedi only in comic form or are they books also ?

4. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I think that TOTJ is only available in comic form and audio book. It is worth getting, but I would try to find the Trade Paperback versions. Less money that way.

I thought that Infinity and Darkness were quite good. They were 4 issue story lines within the ongoing series. Infinities End was ok, but the main character was drawn differently, so at times it was like the reader was seeing a different character. At least that was what it was like for me. Jedi Council: Acts of War is another good read. As far as I know, Infinity, Infinites End and Jedi Council: Acts of War are all available in TPB format.

5. Rysil

Rysil Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2002
    Absolutely not. Uninteresting, tired reading. I need a story, not a Saturday morning cartoon.

6. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I disagree, Rysil. Any writer will tell you that the short story format is the hardest to pull off. Comic book writers are no slouches when it comes to compelling stories. AND with pictures...an achievement indeed.

As far as series to try:

I concur with Tales of the Jedi and the X-wing series. There's also Darkness - which is Quinlan Vos' story, and the new series Starfighter holds a lot of promise. An interesting protag.

7. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I totally agree with Darkness. The reason I didn't recommend it is because it's not in TPB yet, and the Ongoing series is a little hard to understand if you don't read it from the beginning.

8. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I am now reading the Stark-Hyperspace War and I think its good/decent.

Yeah like the others say make sure you get the comics detailing the events of the Great Hyperspace War, Sith War, etc.

9. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Ya, they are worth the time.. only if you have the $$$ though.

10. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    IMO, the comic book format is better suited to SW than is the book format. Books necessarily slow things down. Comics, on the other hand, tend to cut out the extraneous stuff and get to the nitty-gritty. There's also way too much dialogue in the books. Compare the tons of dialogue in a typical SW novel with one of the movies. You'll note that the dialogue in comic books is much sparser, and therefore closer to the movies.

What to buy? Definitely Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End. Maybe Veitch and Anderson's Sith graphic novels as well.

11. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Buy all the TOTJ series, it's definetley worth it, because it haw great story and great art. Also, you might want to check out Darth Maul: Black Sun, if you want to see Darth Maul in action and Union if you want to see Luke and Mara's wedding.

Star Wars comics have a great formula, since sometimes they have great authors like Anderson and Stackpole writing characters they already know, and great aritsts to compliment the story.

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Comics = worth the time.

13. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Union, Rogue Squadron, Mara Jade: By the Emperor's hand, maybe Crimson Empire...I can't think of anything else that important.

Oh, except one: Everyone should own Tag and Bink are Dead. I hate comic books and I still love these.

14. Shave_the_Ewoks

Shave_the_Ewoks Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2001
    hi all!
    Comics are definatly worth the time. I started reading the comics around April, when I got my hands on Tales 7.
    I highly recommend the Tales series. Funny, compelling, and telling little known tales of the SW universe. Check 'em out.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Check out Star Wars Tales, Tales of the Jedi (dark lords of the sith, sith war and redemption particularly), the Dark Empire series, the x-wing series, and as far as episode 1-era stuff goes, Outlander was really good, as will Darkness when it comes out in collected form.

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The ToTJ series can be collected in something like six TPBs (not certain if Jedi vs Sith is suppose to be within the ToTJ series and if it's in TPB or not). So you'd be able to get Tales of the Jedi, Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War, Golden Age of the Sith, Fall of the Sith Empire, and Redemption in this way without having to get every single issue in the entire series. Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords of the Sith also appear in audio drama form, and are a bit different from the comics. Especially ToTJ, as I recently found out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.