main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Comics: DC vs. Marvel General Opinion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by zark, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think both companies have noticed fan disdain for big events and are moving away from that, doesn't mean there won't be events - they'll just be smaller - like Marvel's War of Kings.

As to DC and Marvel: I tend to follow both. But over the course of the last year and a half my Marvel buys have fallen greatly. The main reason is Marvel's tendency to be forever be shaking up the "status quo" - which'd be fine if there was time for a new status quo to form and be explored. As such I'm now preferring to buy the bulk of Marvel in trade, as then I know how the pieces fall. Exceptions are: Captain America, Captain Britain and the cosmic titles.

DC seem to have recovered their sense of confidence to a degree after the fiasco of Countdown, their core books are looking very strong: Rucka, Dini & Morrison on Batman, Rucka, Robinson & Gates on the Superbooks - I can't praise Gates' turnaround of Supergirl enough, that's been amazing work. Then there's the Green Lantern books which'll explode with Blackest Night and finally, Simone's Secret Six and Wonder Woman, both underrated gems.

Long-term: I'll be bailing on both as it's inevitable nothing will really change, it's only ever the illusion of, but since I haven't yet seen through it totally and both companies keep trying to innovate, I remain interested.

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I've enjoyed supergirl since gates took over.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, that book is definately better.

I don't know if she was. I only know her from her fill-in work on the Incredible Hulk back in 1992, before she started doing Star Wars.

Huh?

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    as an aside, why don't we have a general Marvel and general DC thread in here?

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Probably because they're so huge (versus just a series). You can make them if yuo'd like.

6. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    I like DC better because they just have better stories.I mostly read non Superhero comics and DC has some of the best medium stretching stories.

Marvels such a superhero company that theres just nothing for me to get.But I do love deadpool,black panther and the x men consept(long time fan of all 3)

I do prefer DC's omnipotent myth like Superheros better then Marvels grim and gritty realistic ones.

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I do believe that Ultimatum is the worst comic series to have ever been published. It makes the worst of the 90s stuff look amazing.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm reading it only out of morbid curiosity. It's like they took a five year old and asked him, "What do you think should happen?"

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Why was that?

*cants head in curiosity*

I wasn't interested until Civil War, and lost interest when Civil War ended. :p

10. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    That five year old needs serious counseling.

Ultimatum has been bad from the get go. Its not even a story, its a deadpool with events roughly connecting things. At this point I only look forward to Vol 2 of the Ultimate U when we can move on from this.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    General Opinion.

Growing up, I found the Marvel Characters more relatable. Most could identify being an awkard and socially challenged teenager like Peter Parker, or feel like an out of place abnormal person/minority mutant freak like the X-Men. Those traits of the Marvel characters easily helped me sympathize with the characters and made Marvel more endearing to me than DC list up of characters.

Again, growing up, DC characters seemed just two-dimensional. Admittedly, that mostly influenced by the Super-Friends cartoons.

I was a kid, so my cost opportunities was very limited. So, I chose to spend my money on Marvel comics instead of DC. This was when they still sold comic books at convenience stores. How many people remember that?

Outside DC's Big 3 and Green Lantern/Corps, I find the Marvel Universe of charcters more intriguing and easier to follow. I tried reading (more importantly understanding) DC's Final Crisis, but it was mostly over my head. I found Countdown more enjoyable.

As for Ultimatum, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I like it. Honestly, I never read any of the Ultimate titles prior to Ultimates 3, but I do understand the Ultimate Universe is apart of the normal Marvel Universe and the story is lacking in Ultimatium.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This is why you like Ultimatum. Go read the first two Ultimates books. Now. They are better than any of the tripe that Loeb is trying to pass off as writing.

13. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Having bears gnaw on your gentiles is better than Ultimatum.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    This.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's rather descriptive. :eek:

16. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    But true.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm a Marvel zombie. No real reason, but I'm rarely interested on DC comics. I've liked Manhunter, 52, Blue Beetle and... well, that's about it.

Agreed. Way to ruin a good comic line.

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    even though Warren Ellis and Mark Millar are both working in the new Ultimate comics line, Ultimatum is so crappy, I'm not sure i'm gonna be able to bring myself to buy anything from it.

19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    So long as Bendis writes for Ult Spider-Man I will be there, and will give the rest a chance.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Assuming Peter Parker is still alive right? :p

21. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Anyone else remember when the hot rumor was that the Ultimate line was going to completely replace the traditional Marvel Universe? Those days seem so long ago now...

As for my universe pick, I tend to read more Marvel, but I generally like the DC stuff I read more. What that means, I am not sure of.

22. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I am willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt on that matter and even if its a brand new cast without Parker and his gang, I will give it shot. Despite my misgivings about the prospect of certain stories, 9/10 times he has maintained my interest and IMO delivered an interesting story even if I am not happy with what it means for the rest of the series...and usually that's short lived anyways.

More likely Parker is alive but lost somewhere and his clone will take over for a while. Which will be interesting since we haven't gotten to know her too well yet. If Parker was truly dead they would have a) shown him/confirmed he is dead b) given us the audience a little more closure rather than just silent panels of Kitty bringing the mask back to Aunt May. I am doubtful he is dead just out of the limelight right now...though I am curious how they are going to restart his title without him...doesn't feel right to me.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Agreed. Peter is propably chilling out with the Mindless Ones.

24. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    I still think Peter is alive. I'm just tired of the *** that is Ultimatum. I just want my Ultimate Spidey back.

You have to star out the whole acronym.

25. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's pretty much Marvel titles that are on my standing order for single issues, but it's fairly split between the two companies for trades. And the recent Rebirth/Corps War/Blackest Night events in GL have bumped up my DC portion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.