main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga & Comic Book/Animated Movies

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by ObeyTheFist, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    Might as well put it all in one...

what comics, gn or manga do you guys read or are your favs.

Mine - sw of course but I love Alan Moores gn's... anyone read Top 10?

and any updates on comic book movies taht are being worked on, been out or are going to be destroyed by crappy hollywood...

like for X3 they just cast Angel and Juggernaut (played by Bullettooth Tony himself - Vinny jones!!!)

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Well, I'm looking forward to Afrosamurai starring Sam Jackson. I've never read it, but heard it's quite cool. And, well, just about anything with Sam Jackson is cool.

I used to mostly be into Detective Comics, Batman, and the Uncanny X-Men. I just don't have time to read comics or manga anymore. *sigh*

3. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    hum... I don't see him connected with AfroSamuri... will see if I can find more info on that. But he is doing a voice for an animated film called 2004: light Knight Odyessy - and James Earl Jones is voicing as well and the Doctor from Voyager...

4. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Star Wars and G.I. Joe. Althought, Joe has gooten a bit strange. They changed the new bad guys from Cobra to Crimsion shadows or something? WHat's that, Cobra was the reason I bought it.

5. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I used to read the X-men comics and my brother's Spawn comics back in the day, but haven't read one in about 10 years. *sigh* I remember when my brother brought home the Death of Superman (2 copies of course) and I was so pissed they killed off Superman. Around that time (I think) Robin killed Batman. That was pretty much the end of my comic book reading.

6. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I read alot of Amazing Spiderman....I had #1 - #400. That last issue...#400...they killed off Aunt May....that was it for me...I have not picked up a issue since... :(

7. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    death does that sometimes - I havent' read a sw book since that one death even though I keep buying the books

8. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
  9. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    ah, so original concept movie then? I found the link on imdb.com for the cartoon but nothing for the film - thanks!

10. hairlesswookie

hairlesswookie Jedi Master star 3

Oct 23, 2001
    I've been collecting for about 15 years now.
    I make sure to always pick up the new SW comics,
    Savage Dragon, anything by Michael Turner, Walking Dead, Punisher,
    Ultimate Spiderman, 100 Bullets, Fables, Y the Last Man, and a ton of others.

11. obi-chris-kenobi

obi-chris-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    We used to go every week to Comic Book Warehouse, and Tall Tales. It was all about Spiderman, X-men, Punisher, or anything new, or that crossed over, or was a limited series. I was buying way too many. Now I haven't bought one since the early 90's. I became more intrested in Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels.

12. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    Yea,
    Just your basic comic book is now pushing the $3.00 price tag.
    When I first started collecting, they were $1.00, $1.25, which was nice.
    It was cool because you could pick up a new series and not have to worry about blowing your budget.
    I know the paper costs and all that have gone up since then, but I can't hang much longer at this rate.
    I'll probably drop down to 4-5 key titles and that will be it.

13. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    unfortunatly, thats why i am basically reading graphic novels anymore - more for your money plus they hold up longer and some great titles such as Preacher

14. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    Preacher is a great story....
    a very messed up story.....
    but still very good!!
    I really like Garth Ennis' work.
    Can't wait to see how his Ghost Rider turns out.

15. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I read it when it came out it was my first real comic. I had browsed with x-men but I was more into the cartoon but then I was working at a comic store/movie prop place when it came out - man, I just wish I could find them now. I had all of them... and hells yeah it was messed up but the storyline was so vivid and wild I loved it. Its really hard to get into some of the other comics out there after reading ennis and moore. I need to invest in some sin city though, I think I might like it

16. hairlesswookie

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, definitely, Sin City is very cool.
    Have you read any other Vertigo titles like 100 Bullets? Hellblazer? Y the last Man?
    I'd recommend those to ya if you liked Preacher. Not really similar in story, but still gritty and intriguing plots and characters.

17. Redgek

Redgek Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 1999
    100 Bullets is the best comic ever. :cool: I don't pick up many SW comics, oddly enough.

Other current stuff I'll read:

Y: The Last Man
    Love & Rockets (and more by Los Bros. Hernandez)
    Ultimates
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ultimate X-Men
    Top Ten
    Tom Strong
    Batman
    JLA Classified
    Powers
    Green Lantern stuff
    GI Joe: America's Elite
    The Man With The Screaming Brain
    Superman
    Birds of Prey
    Liberty Meadows
    All-Star Batman & Robin
    Superman/Batman
    JSA Classified
    Outsiders
    Teen Titans
    Terra Obscura
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man
    Supreme Power
    Justice
    Soulfire

100 Bullets, Powers, Y, USM, and most of the Alan Moore stuff I buy in TPB. Wish I had the willpower to give the monthlies up cold turkey. It's costing me too much to keep up.

18. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    The cost is horrible sometimes - the 2nd to last trip to the comic store I ended up spending over 250 bucks just to catch up on several missed months but it did include a new box and some more bags and boards...

so 100 bullets? I will check it out. Has anyone read Top 10 by Moore? Very interesting books, it was my first Moore GN and he has only done 2 and that was it...

19. Redgek

Sep 26, 1999
    Top Ten and the limited SMAX series were good. There's a Top Ten arc called "Beyond the Furthest Precinct" going on right now or starting soon, but I don't think Moore is writing it. It's too bad that DC couldn't keep him happy.

20. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I wouldn't be happy either after LXG, god I hadn't even read the gn yet and it hurt me brain to watch that movie... I can only hope that V for Vendetta is at least a littlee bit better

Thanks for the tip, I am gonna go write my comic shop guy and have him reserve it for me

21. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    I don't know where to put this....

Tim Burton is coming out with a new animated movie, very much in the style of Nightmare Before Christmas. The site isn't fully up yet, but here is a link.

Corpse Bride

McFarlane is supposed to be releasing figures from this movie at the end of the month.

I definately want to check this one out.

22. Redgek

Sep 26, 1999
    No doubt that LXG stunk on ice. Hugely disappointing, 'cause it remains one of my all-time favorite comics. I'm of the opinion that even Watchmen is going to suck. I hope I'm wrong.

23. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    we can only hope, I read LXG after watching the movie and fell in love with it. It was like a breath of fresh air, the background stories were great, I am having nightmares about their "hollywood" making top ten into a film and putting Zwelleger in the lead - god, that would be horrible...

Karenc - corpse bride looks interesting but I am not sure if I will be first in line, but I know I want to see it

24. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    I am a HUGE Tim Burton Fan, so I will probably be there on opening day.

25. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I may go that sunday for a matinee..

has anyone else seen Fantastic 4 - what did you think about it?

oh! Sin City comes out in less then 2 weeks!!! ehhhhhh!!! gotta rent and make a back up copy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.