main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Comics (Graphic Novels to those on the Serious Tip)

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nabooty_Call, Mar 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    At the RPG, there were a few quick comments back and forth about Kevin Smith's new Green Arrow relaunch.

What else is everyone reading?

What are your favorites from the past?

2. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    I really had to cut back on comic reading.. I have 6 1/2 boxes of comics and a shelf or two of graphic novels that I have out of the way so I don't trip on them LOL... collecting SW toys (and at the time, hockey memorabilia) took so much money that I couldn't keep up with the comic collecting (that and at the time I was doing my own comic.. ick.. shudder.. don't want to think about that LOL!)

I wouldn't mind getting back into it but first things first.. I gotta go raid the Bounty Hunter Collectibles store again ;) LOL!

As far as what I got? Between me and the hubby.. way too many things to list.. indy and mainstream.. just whatever we wanted.. heheh

3. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    I could go on with this thread for DAYS...

First off, the Kevin Smith "Green Arrow" relaunch is, in a word, GREATNESS. It's that simple.

Right now, I am reading all of the "Ultimate" stories Marvel is doing (wonderful writing), JLA (sporatically), and I have been playing catch-up with graphic novels of "Earth X," "Clerks," "Chasing Dogma," and I am trying to get the money for both "Crisis On Infinite Earths" and "Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl?".

Also looking forward to Stan Lee retelling the origins of the major players in the DC Universe, as well as the recently announced JLA/Avengers crossover and "The Dark Knight Strikes Again".

For comics, this could be the.... Best Time, Ever. :)

4. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Um, can you say Dark Empire? For those that are ignorant of this greatness, it is the single best expanded universe SW story that has been written to date. And it is a graphic novel. If you have not read it, RUN, do not walk, to your nearest comic book shop and pick it up. Dark Empire I, mind you, not II or Empire's End. Those are passable, but don't hold a candle to the first one.

5. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    My pull list:

Authority, The
    Batgirl
    Batman
    Batman: Detective Comics
    Batman: Gotham Knights
    Green Arrow (Kevin Smith)
    JLA
    Nightwing
    Planetary
    Powers
    Promethea
    Robin
    Star Wars
    Superman
    Tom Strong
    Tommorow Stories
    Top Ten
    Ultimate Spiderman
    Ultimate X-Men

6. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Anything SW of course: from all the old Marvel issues to Dark Horse

Not too much else these days. I stopped collection after 10 comic boxes full.

Star Wars
    Darkness
    Accension
    Battle Chasers
    Batman-Dark Night
    Batman: Detective Comics
    X-men
    Thor
    Silver Surfer
    Ultimate X-men
    Tomorrow Stories
    Earth X
    and as many of the Ultimate Marvel issues I can find
    and anything with Galactus or Thanos

:cool:

7. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    O.k. since i have been using my Jedi Healing powers, I am recovering nicely and thought i'd warm the old computer up.

I love the Han Solo Trilogy!! It was great and the Bounty Hunter Series.

Proud member of the Huggastinian Army! Go Team Hard Line!!!

8. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Nov 19, 2000
    And go they did. I haven't watched the tape yet to see if Darth Rain and I got on TV last night (I had the signs that said "General of the Huggistinian Army" and "Rhyner is Fun With Old People"), but I'll check it this weekend.

What a great time. There was even a Kurrgan sighting there! And Brandon, YOU'RE still following ME. :)

9. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Hey, Jedimistress! Glad to hear you're on the mend.

What's this of which you and Obi speak?

Well, I've been reading comics off and on for 20+ years. Star Wars started it off, then other licensed characters like Transformers, GI Joe, etc. until I was influenced by some friends to become a hardcore X-Men fan in the mid-80's with the Mutant Massacre. Branched out from there, though I pretty much stick to the mainstream.

Some of my current faves:

Transmetropolitan
    Lone Wolf & Cub original-style reprints
    Metabarons
    Martian Manhunter
    JLA
    Legion Lost
    Metropol by Ted McKeever
    Starman

Some past faves:

Doom Patrol
    Excalibur (esp. Warren Ellis' run)
    The Heckler
    Avengers West Coast
    Peter David/Larry Stroman X-Factor
    Alien Legion
    V For Vendetta
    Watchmen
    Dark Knight Returns

The KS Green Arrow was well done! I don't know much more than basic details about the character's past; looking forward to getting a softcover copy of the GL/GA collection.

Ultimate X-Men still hasn't won me over completely. Anyone heard about the big shake-ups they're planning in May?

10. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Nov 19, 2000
    Last night, at Reunion Arena, Sportsradio 1310/1700 The Ticket, had it's fourth annual Charity Challenge On Ice. The personalities, along with some of the behind-the-scenes guys, as well as some kids from The Merge, play something that resembles hockey. The morning team, the Musers, take on the afternoon drive team, the HardLine, and this year they even had a draft. It is great, and all of the money goes to the Stars Foundation. I bought tickets for some buddies of mine for Christmas, and we had a "Guys' Night Out" for it. Fun stuff, and I have a HardLine jersey. It is a mock of the Philadelphia Flyers jersey, but instead of a flying "P," it's a flying "HL".

Back to the topic at hand, I also used to collect Guardians Of The Galaxy, as well as being a hardcore Silver Surfer fan. Norin is the MAN.

11. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Anyone read Uncanny yet? I thought it was well done overall, but still need to be convinced that these newbies can hack it against Mags. My guess is most of them are cannon fodder.

And JLA was great! Won't spoil the end for anyone, but really enjoyed that read. Hitch's art keeps improving too.

Lone Wolf & Cub #7 came out yesterday, as well as Metabarons #12.

Enjoy!

12. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    currently reading...

-the new punisher series, very cool
    -green arrow
    -bat girl

thats about it right now.

................................stone

13. Nabooty_Call