main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dickie, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    G'day, having read most of the novels I am thinking of delving into the world of comics, can anyone point in the right direction? Which ones are good etc? And where can I get them from? Any help would be appreciated.

2. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    I would start with Dark Empire, as it is pretty germane to the Eu as a whole. Beyond that, the Clone Wars trades are a good jumping in spot, as well as Union and Chewbacca being worthy to pick up. In fact, Union produces my favorite moment in comics: the Rogues in tattered tuxes taking care of business at the wedding.

3. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    I actually would avoid the Dark Empire trilogy unless you're especially interested in the New Republic adventures of Star Wars. Dark Empire I is actually pretty good, but Dark Empire II and Empire's End pale in comparison.

I highly recommend the "Tales of the Jedi" comics, though at present, they are impossible to get unless you go through such routes as eBay, used book stores that sell comics, etc.. It's been reported that the "Tales of the Jedi" comics will be reissued in one volume starting in April. Waiting until then to get them, you wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money buying each separate graphic novel that will be represented in the April release.

I think the best of the Star Wars comics that are current being produced are the Republic and Tales comics. I also liked the Star Wars: Jedi comics, but haven't seen any new copies of those for a long time.

As far as I'm concerned, the Star Wars: Obsession comics have also been good so far...

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    it really depends on which era is your favorite, and how willing you are to keep collecting and reading them...

the Clone Wars issues of Republic have been outstanding, and are easily available.

Dark Empire / Dark Empire II / Empire's End are classic, although perhaps hold off for a bit, since the publisher Dark Horse may reprint all of it in one giant TPB.

Tales of the Jedi are also quite good, but really should be read in order...

if you like short stories that range from serious to funny, you might check out the Star Wars Tales anthologies... the earlier TPBs are better than the later ones, though.

if you have some favorite movie or game characters, chances are that there have been either a set of comics about them, or at least a single issue...
    Boba Fett has quite a few comics about his exploits...
    Jango Fett has Open Seasons and the Jango Fett / Zam Wesell duology.
    Han and Chewie appear prominently in Underworld
    X-wing pilots have Rogue Squadron, and some of the Empire series.
    Nym appears in Starfighter: Crossbones
    Chewbacca has a whole anthology
    even Jabba the Hutt gets a book!
    prequel era Jedi gets lots of coverage...

5. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Hey while were talking about this, TOTJ won't come out in separate volumes, same with EE?

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The Clone Wars-era comics take the art form to a level I didn't previously believe possible. I could not recommend them more highly.

If you don't mind having the emotional thrust of ROJ crapped on, by all means, get the Dark Empire set :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.