Coming in from out of town...

Discussion in 'Victoria, BC' started by TragicLad, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm flying into Victoria for a conference at the end of May.

If my schedule weren't so hecticly insane, I'd suggest getting together... but I'll be flying in 11 at night on a Friday, working a bunch of 14 hour days and then flying out again at 6 in the morning on Wed.

I'm going to be staying at the Empress - could anyone recommend some really, really good places to eat around there? And are there any good delivery places that are open late, late... collapsing in my room after work, some chicken fried rice would be just what I need.
  2. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a lot of restaurants in the downtown area, so if you could narrow it down a bit what you're looking for, that would help a lot. :) If you want casual family-style restaurants, there's a Smitty's right down the block from the Empress Hotel's Convention Centre (on Douglas Street). If you want something a little more upscale, then I'd recommend Milestone's, located right on the Inner Harbour, across the street from the Empress and right next to the Tourist Info Centre. It's got a wonderful view of the harbour, and I really recommend reserving a window seat for around sunset. :)

For fantastic seafood, you can't beat Nautical Nellies Restaurant & Oyster Bar. I've never been disappointed with their lobster, fish and shellfish. The Sticky Wicket Pub is actually seven pubs in one, and they have great pub fare, fun night life, and are just up Douglas Street from the Convention Centre, practically kitty-corner, actually. By the way, most bars in Victoria close at 2 a.m.

Chinese delivery? Chinatown is only a few blocks away, so take your pick. There are dozens and dozens to choose from, and I don't really have one to recommend above all the others. ;) Browse through the phone book in your room when you get here, just about everything in the Victoria and Esquimalt area is within delivery radius of downtown...the only problem is finding restaurants (other than pub food or delivery pizza) that are open really late, like past midnight, since there's not much demand for that in a city the size of Victoria.

By the way, as I said, Chinatown is within easy walking distance, and if you like dim sum you might try out Don Mee's Restaurant on Fisgard Street, between Government and Wharf Streets, on Sunday around lunchtime. ;)

Enjoy our city, TL!

- Rani
  3. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    I only wish I had the chance to enjoy Victoria. Really wish I'd of had the opportunity to meet with you as well. Vut I'll be spending all of my time locked away in the Conference Centre.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I'm printing them off now. When the co-workers muse as to where we should go for dinner, I'll be prepared. I absolutely love Lobster, so I'll be pulling for Nautical Nellies. Thanks!
  4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Y'know, we keep rather late nights, some of us, and we'd be happy to get together around that schedule, if you aren't too tired when you are all done with conferency things. :) We'll even come to you (I've always wanted to see a suite inside the Empress)... maybe *bring* you dinner one of those evenings... just don't write the possibility off yet!

What are the dates you'll be in town?

Chat soon,

*Derisa*

5. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4

[face_laugh] No pressure, TragicLad, whatever works for you. Derisa's right when she says a lot of us are nightowls and have pretty flexible schedules. ;)

Since you like lobster, you'll be pleased to know that all along Wharf Street, between the Tourism Info Centre and the big blue Johnson Street Bridge, there are quite a few seafood restaurants that serve steak and lobster. They're pricier than Nautical Nellies, so I haven't tried them personally, but they certainly seem popular with the tourists. ;)

Oh, and if you and your co-workers feel in the mood for pasta one evening, there's also The Old Spaghetti Factory, again just at the end of the block behind the Convention Centre, on Douglas Street (in the opposite direction from Smitty's and the Sticky Wicket Pub).

- Rani
  6. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be flying in on the 23rd and out again on the 28th.

Depending on just what gets accomplished in advance, I may be free as early as 6 or 7 on Saturday. Hard to tell. Last year's conference we were busy until midnight. Sunday I can likely be free by 9ish. Monday night is a bust for me and Tuesday is when the co-workers and I will be blowing off steam and then packing like fiends for our 7am flight back to Toronto.

I'd forgotten there was a Spaghetti Factory in Victoria. We've had a number of Fanforce gatherings at the one here in Toronto. I've told the co-workers about Nellies and they're all sold on the idea, so I'll get at least on lobster meal on the company tab.
  7. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Judging from the amount of work we completed ahead of time - I'm either going to be able to break away at about 7ish on Saturday or not at all.

If I'm free, anyone care to grab a cup o'joe and swap sw fandom war stories with me?
  8. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds great to me! How about 7:30 p.m. at Smitty's, unless you had another place or time in mind?

It's just a typical family restaurant, nothing classy, but I suggested Smitty's because it's very close to the Empress, on Blanshard Street.

How will we identify you, TragicLad?

- Rani

EDIT: Seeing as you won't know until the last minute if you can get away, I'll PM you my phone number so you can let us know what's up.
  9. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the PM :)
    If I can get away, I'll likely know by mid-afternoon so I'll call. If I can't get away - I'll try to time my dinner break accordingly so I can come meet up with everyone.

Smitty's at 7:30 sounds good to me. How will you recognize me. I'll be the one with the large milkshake. No - actually, I'll very likely be wearing a beat-up black trench coat and a Star Wars neck tie. How will I recognize you guys?
  10. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    "How will we identify you, TragicLad?"

All I'm going to say is..."The ties"

Knowing Tragic for 3 years now I have yet to see him without a tie on. And it is usually a Star Wars tie.
  11. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    "How will I recognize you guys?"

Just look for the big gaggle of people all talking over one another. :)

We'll put some kind of prop on the table, like Derisa's rancor or my Luke head, and failing that, we'll interrogate every guy who comes in and orders a milkshake, and check his tie. [face_laugh]

Note to self: T-shirts...we need to get those T-shirts...

- Rani
  12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Right, better late notice than ever, it's a go!!!

TragicLad will meet those who can come for coffee at Smitty's downtown at 1900 hrs. Run, you have ten minutes!

:)

*Derisa*
  13. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    That was fun. :)

Alakin, Janitor_Fett, TJ, Vills, Derisa, Derisa's friend Kita, and myself all came out to Smitty's and then Electric Avenue last night to meet the person behind the electronic nomenclature "TragicLad".

Thankfully, TragicLad survived the experience...

Our tribe began the encounter by slowly circling the Torontonian, examining and touching his strange eastern clothing cautiously. Once the alpha females of the clan determined that the stranger (or his tie) was not an immediate threat, the beta males were sent to gather firewood so the tribe could feast well that night.

[image=http://www.users.yun.co.jp/~rinko/essey/nz/maori.jpg]

We were impressed by the stranger's lack of fear at the sight of the shrunken mummified heads on stakes of previous unfortunate visitors.

In an attempt to communicate with the eastern stranger, we tried a long series of grunts and hand-gestures. In frustration, we muttered to one another in our normal civilized Queen's English, which to our shock and surprise he seemed to recognize! He too seemed awed that we knew the same tongue. An immediate change of menu was in order (as obviously, this was no ordinary Torontonian), and a prized salmon was slaughtered in the stranger's place, as we ignored the disappointed cries of the children, "Aw, mom! Not fish again!"

After the feast, our honoured guest was taken on a brief tour of the village, and then finally to our sacred place for refreshments and talk. Derisa and I demonstrated for our visitor a common dominance rite, and through armwrestle challenge I once again maintained my place as clan leader. This was of great interest to TragicLad, who documented the event very carefully with his magic box-that-made-a-flash. (We of course had seen many a visitor to our village use such boxes, and allowed him his pleasure of it.)

Then it was his turn to engage in one of our challenges, and the ritual pool cue was placed into his hands as he challenged one of our best warriors.

[image=http://hawaiidp.com/maori.jpg]

Satisfied, and reassuring him there was no shame in his loss and that he would not be eaten for it, we welcomed him as having a place of honour among our people. Weary from his long journey to our lands in the belly of the Loud Metal Seagull, and eager to return to his beautiful wife who is great with child, we bid him safe travel back to the Far East, with hopes that he will return once again to our island paradise.

- Rani

P.S. M'Bele M'Bele Hemp-a'Doum A'Doum!

[image=http://www.hps.com/~tpg/singapore/graphics/nz-maori-haka1.jpg]
  14. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Sniff, I miss you Tragic. I hear you guys had a good time though and you are a lot like the Toronto group.
  15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    That's hilarious, Rani!

Y'know, I rather like the idea of Victory Base being seen as noble savages (well, okay, civilised, Queen's-English-speaking, cannibal savages, but hey!) It's the contrast that makes this so funny!!!

We would really like to keep TragicLad, Shmi: any chance you could come here and bring the unborn Chosen One with you? :)

I love the pics. We should do more silly stuff like this. (When *is* Post-Like-Dan day, anyway?) :)

Seriously, it was way cool to meet you, TL, and I guess we'll call it a compliment that you think we are anything like Toronto's FanForce. I guess this calls for more East-West exchanges! :D

*Derisa*

16. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you, thank you everyone for your hospitality. I said it many times that night, but being out with Victoria FanForce was almost exactly like being out with the folks in Toronto. I'd never met any of you before and I've only stopped into the forums here from time to time, but it felt like we'd always been hanging out. Thanks all.

I only wish I'd been able to break away from work again - but from Sunday onwards it was non-stop. However, things so well at this show and the Victoria Conference Center was so incredible at hosting things for us, that it's very likely we'll be back. Maybe as soon as 2005... Jeez, if only there weren't this entire nation in between us, because I'd love to have you all over for a bbq or movie night or something. If ANY of you are headed out our way (and I think Toronto will be offering some discounted hotel rates for a while :p koff koff ) be sure to give me a buzz. I'm sure we can scare up a few folks and give you a nice night on the town.

The photos I took will be online to night, I'll post links. :)
  17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Awesome!

It was a total privelege to meet you, TL, and we're sorry you couldn't have stayed longer. I already miss you. :)

Hope your trip home was a good one, and I hope your visit to our fair shores wasa benchmark for how interFFbranch relations should go! :)

One of these days one of us will be in TO, and we'll make sure to take you up on the bbq offer! :)

Take care, and don't be a stranger. Drop in for a brew, or a spot of political philosophy on the house at the Bar and Grill, or just click and kill a fairy. :)

*Derisa*

18. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to hear you're back and home safe, Tragic. Hmm...overcast the entire time you're here, and today, after your return home, the weather was fabulous! Coincidence? :p

It was truly a pleasure to meet you and get to know you, TragicLad! Next time you're in town, the pool table will be waiting and warmed up for ya! And most definitely, we'll be sure and let you guys know if any of us are dropping by the Toronto area!

In the meantime, keep in touch! Like Derisa said, pop into our forum anytime, and be sure to let us know when Tragic Jr. arrives! We'll have a party for him!

Hugs,

- Rani
  19. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Photos!

I should have taken more, but wasn't sure just how much video time I'd need for during the conference. Oh well - the world doesn't need photos of me being trounced at pool.
  20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Those are terrific, TL. Thanks so much for visiting us! Glad you found our city beautiful, we're kind of proud of it too. :)

*Derisa*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.