Coming to London - What should we see?

Discussion in 'London UK' started by Darth_Jaxons_Wife, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Padawan

Hello all,

As I am sure some of you have seen, my husband and I are coming to London 5/14 - 5/18. We planned our trip around the 5/16 Saga. We have not gotten any tickets for that yet, but we are still hopeful.

Anyway, we have 3 other days to explore London and I am wondering what you all would recommend.

I have been told by some of my friends here in the States to do some walking tours, see Buckingham, Big Ben, etc.

Do any of you have any ideas of some things that you like to visit?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks - from MN, USA
    Courtney
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The Tower of London is good fun
    HM the Queen's crown jewels are there.

Tower bridge is good to view
    And the London Eye gives a good view of the City

St Paul's Cathedral is a wonder to behold, though it is currently being repaired so i'm not sure when its open

The Natural History Museum, Science Museum, British Museum & The Victoria & Albert Museum are very good.

3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    If you are into Star Wars collecting at all, Forbidden Planet is a must-visit (though expensive) store. It's at 178 Shaftesbury Avenue. Closest Tube station is Leicester Square.
  4. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'd say as well Tower of London and Tower Bridge (they are next to each other) in the evenings there at about 7pm there are some Jack the Ripper walk tours which are pretty good.

Also depends on what you are interested in because there are loads of museums, art galleries, markets and so on.
  5. Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Padawan

Thanks SithLordDarthRichie,

I was just looking into some of the museums. They do like they would be cool to go to.

Thanks for the tip on St. Paul. I will have to watch what's going on with the remodeling of that.

Thanks again! :)
  6. Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Padawan

Thanks LAJ_FETT. My hubby and I will definitely check out that store!

Thanks AmberStarbright... I think a Jack the Ripper walking tour would be creepy, but VERY cool! And U am going to check into the Towers!

I am so excited! Thanks much!
  7. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    http://www.londontown.com/ has alot of information
    http://www.designmuseum.org/ Design Museum
    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/ Natural History Museum

Edit: no problem :)
  8. AniSkylover Force Ghost

star 2
    is there anything to see around Milton Keynes?

Ill be there this week end for C7 :)

9. Interpol Jedi Padawan

First of all, I really do hope you manage to get some tickets for the 16th!

Anyway, what to do in London?

The places I like to visit in London often have a good atmosphere, especially if the weather is pleasant.

The South Bank is very good for lots to see and do. Anywhere between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge is cool.

The London Eye is a fun way to see London. Take an early morning flight on a week day for fewer queues.

The Royal Festival Hall often has free musical performances going on.

Further along the South Bank, towards Tower Bridge, is one of my favourite places to visit, Tate Modern, even the building is impressive, the old Bankside power station has been converted into a huge gallery. There are great views across to St Paul?s Cathedral from the higher levels of the gallery. Highly recommended!

Tate Modern?s next door neighbour is Shakespeare?s Globe Theatre, which is also very impressive.

Just around the corner from the Tate and the Globe is a very pleasant restaurant called Bankside. I?ve eaten here a number of times, and the food and service has always been good. Wallet friendly too!

Not far from here, by London Bridge is Borough Market which has some quality items for sale.

Like I said, there?s plenty to see and do along the South Bank, these are just a few highlights along the way.

North of the river there?s Covent Garden which has lots of small boutiques, bars and restaurants, and usually a few street performers.

If you want something a bit unusual then head to Camden Market. Loads of shops and stalls, selling all sorts of cool stuff.

I hope you have a cool time in London and a very safe journey from the US.
  10. Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Padawan

Interpol - thanks so much for the information! Especially the good places to eat. It's always nice to have locals recommend places they would eat at!

We are extremely excited to be in London, and we did find someone to help us get tickets. We are very grateful for that.

Thanks again!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.