main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Coming together

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Obi-Ewan, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Usually casting changes in a series bother me, but with the Star Wars films, which recasts at least half a dozen characters, what I've enjoyed about the prequels is seeing them take up the eary half of relationship that were already established. Other than the casting of River Phoenix (Indiana Jones) and Robert De Niro et al (Godfather II), I've never seen a series that takes such great care to cast a new actor who is meticulously matched with his/her predecessor.

So what excites me most about Episode III is that it has the greatest concentration of old trilogy characters in the same movie. Other than characters who appear in Jabba's Court (Jabba, Bib, Boba), all recurring characters appear in this movie--and they appear together in the same movie, as flesh and blood, rather than being spread out across separate movies.

In the old trilogy, we met Owen, Beru, Tarkin and Obi-Wan. They were all dead by the end of the movie, and it was in the next few movies that we met returning characters like Palpatine, Yoda, and Mon Mothma. Yoda was aleady dead by the time we met Mon Mothma. However, their roles indicated that surely they would have an important part to play in the prequels, and in Episode III, for the first and last time, they're all together, and they all finally begin to resemble the characters as we first saw them, even though that means that this film is weaning us from the prequel actors and sending us back to those who originated the roles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.