main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Commando Droids are so freaking cool.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Loupgarou, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Yes, I agree that Battle droids should walk a lot more, well, robotically, being robots. I very much agree. It'd make them scarier too, an unfeeling, unflinching army that never surrenders. Even if they were just cannon fodder, if they played up that aspect of them, they'd feel like a Zerg Rush instead of a joke. However, these more expensive models like Commando Droids can be allowed to be less clunky and still fit in the OT.

If there is ever really a live action show, i think it should have just a few elements of the Clone Wars in it as to make it feel a little less separate from the rest of Star Wars. I was thinking it'd be awesome if just for a moment we saw a re-assigned/personality-quirk Commando droid as a guard for a Hutt, or as a minor bounty hunter or something. It may cost a lot to animate realistically/make a cool animatronic version, but that's why they could have him simply as a member of a larger force or a background Guard.
    On that train of thought, any connection to the CIS would be cool, like showing disaffected confederates in the rebellion like EU books state. That'd be quite an interesting dichotomy, the old villains with the new heroes. And a rebel alliance colored and painted droid command ship would be sooo cool to see on screen. I know that if they do make the show it won't likely have epic space battles and such, keeping it more personal and less costly. But still. Just for a moment.

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    You're probably already aware of this, but The Hidden Enemy (season 1) has a pretty good showing of using B1s for swarming tactics. :)

I'm a guy who's willing to suspend his disbelief in how the droids move, but now that I think about it, it does seem a little odd. I guess combat droids get more versatile engineering than protocol droids and astromechs. [face_laugh]

3. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    I've actually only watched season 2 and 3 episodes, i'll have to check that out.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    No- no need for them in the movie- they could however rewrite Palpy's kidnapping and show it in TCW with added commanddroids - they have no place in ROTS- we only see securityunits and assault units- if there is scenes to be added none of them include commandoclankers- as cool as they are i still say no- at least adding them to existing scenes is not needed.....

Well GFFA is big so seeing many kinds of droids is not odd at all- we also see clunky and slow droids in PT- but honestly BD:s are useless compared to same amount of living troops- technology was not lost in anyway it was just oldfashioned to use battle droids any more after clone wars- plus it was alientechnology of despised separatistspecies it had no place in prohuman Empire- genetically manipulated clones were new elite soldiers while rebels had no money no interest in droidarmies those are too expensive compared to their usefullness... EU ruined technological continuity much worse than saga- 4000 years and no change at all:rolleyes: ..... but Empire used some of the best bd:s probably commandodroids are basis of darktrooperproject etc. and crabdroids for example were used by Imperials as well....

I see no problem with droids changing in anyway- we see astromechs remain unchanged from TPM to OT- same with protocol units- GONKs and other worker droids we can see similar ones in all movies- and only battledroid we see in OT is IG-88 and see how agile IG-86s are despite the fact they look clumsy..... we must also remember that technologies are also cultural- geonosians design bd:s they use their own techniques- in Clone War Geos became hated and they were subjucated by the Empire- it's natural their technology was no more usual during OT..... also we can see only protocol droids, astromechs, gonks and some scrap jawas and Jabba have...... much bigger disconnect etween PT and OT is aliens suddenly disappearing from the rest of the galaxy while all have gone to the same cantina -while humans have civil war of their own going on.... it's not until few years when rebels finally have "aliens" in their troops...... that bothers me more than droid issue- we just don't see everything- it's big galaxy and while we saw clunky droids on Tatooine there can be agile alientechnology still in use somewhere- and while human rebels struggle against Empire on Hoth there may be similar struggle on Malastare for example with fully alien rebels trying to defeat human Empire....

I think it just adds believability if we don't see everything- hardly any movie taking place on Earth shows all what's happening on the same planeto_O - what about galaxy then- well there is both clunky and agile droids, non-humans and humans sometimes all just are not around where important stuff happens- if your imagination cannot handle little issues like that then maybe you should stick with more realistic stuff- SW-galaxy just changes like that- new species we never saw before or new droid model etc. has suddenly always existed just not seen before- OT has plenty of bizarre droids not all are even clumsy (at least now in SE)... i have no probs especially when clunkies are still around- we saw droids like EV-9d9 in TCW and Cad Bane has torturer droid from same centre of Jabba's palace- insectoidfaced protocoldroid from sandcrawler also appeared in TCW..... to tie up sw-universe even better together future EU can show us agile BD:s still in use during OT- some pirates or smugglers could have army of them for example- battling droids actually made their first appearance in

5. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Yea, they don't really fit anywhere in ROTS. No situation a special ops of the CIS would fit, which is what the Commando Droids are usually.

And as much as i hate the idea of redoing the CW kidnapping, if they did redo it, droid commandos would fit. Still with magnaguards by Grievous's side though.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Magnas should talk english also- maybe Grievous uses his own language with them or some codes but i think Magnas need voice- for now they have just made odd noises- they should definitely be more quiet than B1:s- serious and subtle- they would only say "Jedi you won't match for us!" kind of taunts definitely not useless smalltalk like b1 and even b2 droids [face_laugh]

7. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    I think their lack of voice makes them scarier. They are solely for combat, nothing else, literal fighting machines.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    They are supposedly droids capable of learning trained by Grievous himself- it's hard to train someone who cannot talk and say did he understand you or not..... and they have vocabulators so i don't think it makes sense at all they won't talk- but as said maybe their odd noises are some kaleeshlanguage or codes Grievous can understand with some decoderpart added to his brain or something... but still i think they need to talk sometimes.....not often so they remain bit scary.... but sometimes.... they do talk in EU- like in ROTS-game "Time of the jedi is over!" with more scary and much cooler voice than bd:s or sbd:s (those for some reason speak with b1's voice in ROTS:confused: )

9. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    I played that game, don't remember that. But i can see that working now, if it's minimal. Just one or two lines, Boba fett style. 'As you command, Lord Grievous' in a deep gravely robotic voice could actually be awesome. Or a quick 'Shall i engage the Jedi?' when they first see them, or something.

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don?t understand why they would need to talk at all. Does R2 ever talk? The noises they make may be simply another form of the same ?language? which R2 uses to communicate. They also don?t really need to talk. They are there to respond to commands without question, and I doubt they would ever have ?queries? about Grievous?s orders... and even if they did they no doubt speaking in the same 'complexity' as R2.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Ouch i'm alone defending EU then- bizarre- In EU they talk...:p but they are not astromechs and they don't beep similarly either- they are supposedly intelligent droids and while ability to speak is not same as intelligence as Qui-Gon pointed out (Possibly Dooku's teachings since that's bit speciestistic point of view:p ) it's hard to understand that dumb droids speak and wise ones don't- shouldn't dumb ones be those with only actionprogramming and wise ones with extras like ability to speech- it goes wrong way around to me if those are mute- i want them to speak[face_not_talking] - not much- not stupid things like B1s- if Magnas start to talk about their head being adjusted then it's better they won't speak at all:p but i would like to hear simple sentences "You will die jedi!" kind of stuff like other IG-droids IG-88 is also very silent yet he can speak...

but as said maybe they are specifically connected to Grievous somehow...... Anakin even understands R2 a bit..... but who builds droids with vocabulator who use it only to scream when destroyed?- They scream like living beings in ROTS so they must be able to speak like livings also- R2 'speaks' a lot magnas won't even beep like R2- how can they command forces of droids or anything if they cannot communicate naturally- that requires ability to share thoughts not only follow orders ......

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    [face_not_talking]

They don?t command forces of battle droids. They are there solely for the protection of the Supreme Commander of the Droid Armies. They are there SOLELY to protect him and serve him as an elite force during his missions. They don?t need to speak any more than R2 needs to speak. We have heard how they talk and, while it isn?t the same as R2?s communication, it is the exact same principle.

I am unsure why you think they need to somehow speak like B1 Battle Droids, C-3PO, etc...

13. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    R2 needs communication more than a Magnaguard does, but I'm still not entirely averse to the idea. For one, i agree that they don't NEED to talk. But second off, it could have an interesting and menacing effect. If they're made to be personal bodygaurds, wouldn't they want to communicate with their liege? Of course, there's also the whole silent deadly thing, and the fact that other guard types, organic or not, rarely talk in Star Wars.

So really, i think things are fine the way they are. But if they did talk, i'd also be fine. As long as they kept it short, serious, menacing and robotic.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    No we see in TCW-movie how Dooku has them also with him no GG but only Dooku and magnas- Dooku understands geonosian but i don't buy he understand that too- no way they talk english too -very rarely though[face_not_talking] I have C-canonical proof they do- and nothing in TCW says they don't talk english- they just don't always talk english- ok basic - so i think i win this debate with C-canon proof[face_whistling]

- while G-canon overwrites EU sometimes (not always) it doesn't mean eu is worthless- no- it's lower canon yes but canon too- while it doesn't contradict with G-canon it's solid evidence and in that canon magnas speak also basic- for logic they should sometimes speak that also in TCW- ability to speak binary language whatever don't necessarily overwrite ability to speak basic- and they do communicate with other droids already in Cargo of Doom for example so they seem to understand that language anyway- so while my statement may have not been valid proof- your statement was actually false they are not only GG's we see them elsewhere as well so they need to communicate with others as well-

apparently they don't need basic to talk with B1s(in COD b1 actually commands magna though but anyway no Grievous around but Magna is there- he needs to communicate with others than GG also to explain that)- it was Cad Bane commanding and Gunray's army and fleet and still magna there- they aren't SOLELY for GG that's falseo_O with T-canonical proof) they are made for him but model was used elsewhere and those need to talk at least to communicate with officers etc who have no knowledge of binary droidspeak.....

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    o_O

Wow, really? You?re arguing that Dooku also has them? Does it really matter? The point is they are SOLELY there to protect and directly aid the Confederate Head of State and the Supreme Commander of the Droid Armies. As such they don?t need to speak basic, and from what we have seen in the series they don?t.

I would also like to know what C-Canon source you are basing this on. As far as I?m aware the only instance where they are heard speaking basic is in the ROTS Video Game... and as such that is hardly solid proof of your claims as such material is not to be taken completely as canonical.

I think it is obvious that they do not speak basic within G-Canon. We have heard them respond to someone speaking to them and it was through a series of low beeps/drones. Does that mean they can?t speak basic? Not necessarily. However, given what I have seen from G-canon sources, it seems they are intended not to speak basic...

Oh and BTW, G-Canon always overwrites any lesser canon. Period.

I?m not adverse to the idea either, however at the same time there is no real proof to suggest they do speak basic. Regarding whether they would want to communicate with Grievous; perhaps they simply communicate through their specific beeps/drones... much like R2.

16. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    According to Wookieepedia, the only source for its statement that they have a low growling speech is the ROTS videogame. I've played it and i know it's full of non-canonical things. Videogames take liberties and that's ok, but i think only their plots and named characters should be considered part of the EU. Even on a lower level Canon, i would say that it's an iffy point to make.

Wookieepedia does say they speak an audible droid language, as heard in Cargo of Doom. So from that info, i say that canonically, that's what Magna Guards speak.

And also, droids can be modified. You could argue that one commander might add a voicebox because he's very egotistical and wants praise and vocal obedience, while another commander demands silence and would never install such a thing.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Couldn?t have said it better myself. =D=

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    whatever.... for me they always are able to talk until something proves otherwise- the ability to speak simple droidtalk is canon yes but it doesn't mean they couldn't talk basic as you pointed out- how Dooku understands them he is not mechanic or anything like Anakin?..... It makes no sense to me they cannot talk....and as said Cad Bane had them too so they're not SOLELY for GG as you said[face_not_talking] ..... just untruth..... In COD they were nowhere near GG or Dooku- they are rare but still used everywhere under many commanders like other droidmodels- that needs that they need to speak- at least droids understand them but i think basic is programmed to commanding magnas at least so they can communicate with living officers with no knowledge of droidspeak- also as they are droids capable of learning maybe they learn simple sentences and use them later to indimitate their enemies- even R2 pronounces Coruscant in AOTC when recording Obi's message- so Astromechs can also talk basic but not very well:p ....

i want to see them talk basic... also ROTS-comic version also has talking magna... yet scene is non-canon fueltank scene with GG replaced by his guard that says the same lines...... whatever.... i think only droidtalk makes them too comical they're not Gonk droids or astromechs-.....and i think it's somewhat stupid they just beep and boop and scream like R2- i prefer the idea that they can talk but usually don't...

Actually judging by ROTS- looks like GL wants them to speak like all funny battledroids in ROTS- we can hear how they scream just like b1s:rolleyes: maybe it's better they remain silent then.... I don't stand magnas talking about visit to droidspa[face_plain]

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You may like to think they talk basic, however established canon establishes that they don?t. We have never seen a droid ?speak? in ?drones? yet also speak basic... if they spoke basic logic persists they would have used it in the show. Yes, it is possible they can speak basic, however canonical sources suggest their primary communication is through ?droidtalk?. Both the ROTS Video Game and Novel, for the most part, are rather ambiguous canonically.

Regarding Dooku ? why wouldn?t he be able to understand ?droidtalk?? We see various other people apart from Anakin understand droids which only beep and boop...

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Established canon seems not to say anything clear about that- sourcebooks are "just EU" you know....

3po can definitely speak in 'drones' but most droids are programmed to understand basic- battledroids also scream and make odd noises like magnas i see no reason to think they couldn't speak basic but yes it's not their primary form of communication i'm not claiming that- since it obviously is not true-

there was huge complains about Greedo speaking basic yet he talks huttese/rodese in ANH and understands basic so i thought it's natural he can also speak it- maybe his huttese just is better... but his throat was suitable for humanlike speech- unlike vocabulators of R2-units or throat of wookiees- same with Bossk i saw no problem he "can talk" it's all about ability to pronounce words and then rest is learning of language- you may know few sentences and still not be able to speak fluent basic...
    Magnas scream like humans in ROTS- why they wouldn't learn to say "Die jedi" since they can pronounce letters like I and E they just need to learn order of letters and meaning of that sentence to be able to "talk"

Well i have no proof but i always imagined Dooku wouldn't be interested in such things like Anakin or Luke- not even Obi-Wan understands R2 units without translator and he spends more time with them than Dooku ever- Solo don't get them either in movies.... but really in G-canon and T-canon how many understands astromechs? 3po and EV-9d9,Anakin,battledroids, maybe Ahsoka and Grievous[face_thinking] .... well maybe it's proof his guards don't need to speak basic- but i would imagine he would like them to speak kaleeshlanguage since they are made for him to be like his old warriors- they even have cloaks and all.......

Of course Dooku may be great astromech lover and have dozen of them in his mansion- perhaps he even talks with them all the time beeping himself too[face_laugh] but feels out of the character to me- but he understands geonosians etc. but that tells he is international- astromechlanguage is not something diplomats need to understand though that's for mechanics and droids not for counts....

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Ummm...yeah...

...the point is when they respond to someone in the show we only hear them speak in ?drones?. Unlike Battle Droids which respond in basic, MagnaGuards seem to respond with ?droid talk?. It?s not like we have only heard them be ?killed? or scream, but we have actually heard them ?say something?... which was in a ?drone dialect?.

Anyway this whole debate is pointless. It is seems to be The Clone Wars team made a conscious decision to not make them speak basic. Let?s leave it at that.

23. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well whole thing was that i said i would like to see it- i can live without that but i just meant i would like to hear them speak -some simple line would make sense to me.....perhaps they are programmed to learn even languages...... wookieepedia says
    "They were also capable of speech, and were programmed to taunt their opponents in a low growling Basic. Aside from human speech, they appeared to occasionally use an audible form of droid language"
    So i see no conflict- or reason why they couldn't have speaking roles in the future- even ROTS script had lines written for them....but yes they obviously use droidlanguage- i think it's same bombdroids used in Heroes on Both Sides- Grievous understands it so his guards may not all speak basic but I would say that at least they are capable of learning it -unlike astromechs whose vocabulator can produce only beeps and boops and simple screams..... but still there possibly is even basic speaking astromechs with special vocabulator or something- even GNK-droid can say GONK so i don't think our debate has a point..... but i think Magnas should talk as long as they don't talk useless stupid things like B1s...... Even Droidekas talk odd language of their own in ROTS

24. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    GONK is not really for communicating, that's like saying washing machines can talk because they say WHOOSH over and over again. And as i pointed out earlier, that line from Wookieepedia links to it's only source, the ROTS videogame, and we've already discussed how ambiguous that is canonically.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I always assumed that GNK droids were highly developed beings that knew that the true sound representing all enlightened knowledge, the universe, and 42 is not really "Om," but rather the sacred "Gonk."

The Commando Droids may be the droid Ninjas, but the GNKs are the monks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.