Comments please on a new SW Fan Fiction website

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by drevan1138, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drevan1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been posting fan fiction here on the boards for around a year and I finally decided to design my own website. It's been many many years since I have attempted this, so my skills are very rusty and many developments in web design have passed me by (not that I was ever anywhere near a professional to begin with). As such, I would appreciate some feedback. Please be as harsh as you would like, and let me know if you experience any technical issues.

Site: drevan1138.googlepages.com

(the main site is one link in due to how googlepages hosts the index page)

Thanks to all in advance.
  2. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    The site has a great lay out. The images are well done. You have a very clean cut look to your site.
  3. NarCranor Force Ghost

star 2
    The site itself is very clean and simple, easy to understand navigation, so very good job there. I run a fan fic site myself at http://www.fandomcomics.com , so I know a little something about putting it on a website. As for as your site is concerned, I dont really see all that much room for improvement, other than continuing to add content, and perhaps adding a small forum for people to talk about your fiction.

As for the content itself, I know it is fan fiction, and therefore isnt forced to follow the rules of the rest of the Star Wars EU. However, I just wanted to quickly point out that Malek's origin specifically has been fleshed out in the KOTOR comic books from Dark Horse Comics, and they are supposedly going to flesh out Revean's a bit more as well, making your work fall strictly under the Infinities (as opposed to the unofficially plausible) category of fan fic.

For most people, I suppose, this doesn't mean much of anything. However, as a fan fic writer myself, I prefer to read (and write) stories that can still fit in with and complement the existing star wars lore. Naturally, I am certain this material was written before the KOTOR comic series started, and I can understand how frustrating that is, being unable to predict what characters and eras the official EU will be tackling.

In any case, keep up the good work. Perhaps down the road you can start a new Star Wars project that touches on a section of the EU that isnt growing quite so quickly! Then you'd nab me as a regular reader for sure.

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com
  4. drevan1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sara_Kenobi: Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to look things over.

NarCranor: Thank you as well. I've frequently visited your site as I've developed mine over the months. I was always very impressed with how you laid things out.

As for my fiction, yes I did start before the comics and yes it is frustrating to find my stories in the AU realm now (though I do enjoy the aforementioned comics). But what can we aspiring writers do but keep on trying.

I do want to see this project I started through for my own personal reasons, but when I do start something new and EU, I'll send you a PM to check it out.

Thanks for the review, and good luck with your site and your comics (another series I enjoy).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.