1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

Oceania Comming to a close. The LOTR final few months.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, by the 5th page all the topics were locked, so I didn't bother searching more for the old LOTR thread.

Here's some info for those who are interested. We may be awaiting the release of the TTT DVD and VHS next week, but here's something to make us all drool. Cast your memories back to this time last year, when we had the FOTR DVD / VHS and we were counting the days down to the Special Extended DVD Edition. Well, the same is happening for TTT.

The Special Extended DVD edition of TTT comes out November 8th or there-abouts.

Comes with Gollum statue this time, and bonus DVD is all about the creation of the fantastic CG guy. :D

[image=http://lordoftherings.net/homevideo/images/collector_tt_enlarge.jpg]

Check that out!

Also, the content:

The following contents are presented in packaging illustrated by famed artist, Alan Lee:

4-disc Platinum Series? Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta

"The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive:
    Bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, featuring interviews with Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, the cast and more!

A printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character

A full run down on the TTT special extended edition:

DISCS 1-2: THE FEATURE

FEATURE (approx. 214 minutes) -
    A new version of the second installment in the epic trilogy! The film includes over 40 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film, made especially for this video release:

Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition

Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound

DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound

Stereo Surround Sound

Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Howard Shore, Randy Cook?and many more

DISCS 3-4: THE APPENDICES

Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers:

DISC 3
    Adapting the book into a screenplay & planning the film

Designing and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth

Storyboards to pre-visualization

Weta Workshop visit - See sculptors in action as they create the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film

Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship

An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process

Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists

And much more!

DISC 4
    Sending actors to battle - preparation for sword fighting

Principal photography: Stories from the set

Digital effects including motion capture and "Massive" (a program to create armies of Orcs)

"Bigatures" - A close-up look at the detailed miniatures used in the film

Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos

Post-production - editing it all together

Sound design demonstration

And much more!

DVD-ROM CONTENT: Includes access to exclusive online features.

Also, click the link in my sig for some ROTK pictures that are for a calendar. :D
  2. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Sounds fantastic!

First of all though, I have to purchase the Extended version of FOTR!
  3. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Indeed you must!

I can't believe, in only 4 months, the LOTR trilogy will be over. (well - the theatrical releases), we will still be awaiting the ROTK Special Extended DVD till Nov 2004 :p

4. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    i am looking forward to seeing the pirated ROTK very very soon
  5. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, best not to say stuff like that around here. ;)

I'll definately be getting TTT:SEE when it's released. Hopefully I'll enjoy the extended version a whole lot more than I enjoyed the theatrical release. :)
  6. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, certain mods will edit and possibly spank you for saying things about piracy.

Yea, head over to the NZ board and have a look at a few of my latest posts in the Lord of the Rings thread. Some pics from ROTK. :)

Here ya go - link to LOTR thread in NZ.

Last page. Some possible slight spoiler pics - but nothing drastic. :)

I'm just wondering how people can get pirated ROTK, cause PJ is still working on it, and will be up until about October.
  7. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    You will not watch the ROTK pirated version...or at the very least, not discuss it here. //Jedi mind trick
  8. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You are SO damn Lazy Cahill.

I'm looking foward to buying the TTT DVD and then cursing myself for not having waited until the extended edition before failing into a morose satisfaction upon seeing the outrageous price of aforementioned special edition.
  9. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    POT, you wait until the Kmart Big W price war starts, then you wait until Kmart has their 15% sale around November - December (the prechristmas clearance to get room for christams stock in). I think I paid $102 for the fotr box set.

And now you get the rotk preview off movie-list.com. 25mb in size, pretty good stuff.
  10. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh special edition with swords!
    *swoons stealing Glamdring in the process*

I hate to wait but I know it will be so much more worth my while if I get the Special edition
    And I want that gollum statue too :D
  11. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5
    Gotta love those LOTR haters who say it's just a fad and will be forgotten by next year ... lol

I don't know if these are the same pics, but I found a german site with a whole heap of nice widescreen pics from ROTK:

http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/

12. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the link for the trailer Tek.

I'm eagerly waiting for TTT:EE, I'm getting the 4 disc not the 5, I want it to match my FotR:EE 4 disc set :D which I got for about $60, hurray for Big W!

Can't wait for RotK! There's gonna be more Samwise [face_love] hurray for Samwise, he's the greatest character in my opinion and he's very underated, it's a shame I reckon.

It shall be very interesting to see how Mr Jackson does RotK, how similar it will be to the book, but I know I'm going to love it no matter what he does.
  13. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can't wait to see how he does shelob :D
  14. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I believe...from what I heard from my ex...that Peter Jackson is making the Hobbit, and it will be released by 2006...or will be made then. Not too sure, but I'll see if I can find some info. Otherwise, TTT sounds brilliant! :D
  15. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmm, I dunno. There's lots of rumours about making the Hobbit, but to my knowledge nothing official has been said, and in fact Peter Jackson has said that while he may consider it, he probably wouldn't. He's spent the last 5 years in Middle Earth, and he wants out. :p His next film will be a remake of King Kong, which sounds very interesting.

Bring on TTT:EE! Wooo! :D
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > I'm looking foward to buying the TTT DVD and then cursing myself for not having waited until the extended edition before failing into a morose satisfaction upon seeing the outrageous price of aforementioned special edition.

Well, there's the stupid overpriced boxed set, as SFL posted above with statues and a set of Frodo Boxer Shorts or whatever, but the extended edition also comes in just a foldout DVD case sized case without all the extra crap. And it's much more reasonably priced.

> Hmmm, I dunno. There's lots of rumours about making the Hobbit, but to my knowledge nothing official has been said, and in fact Peter Jackson has said that while he may consider it, he probably wouldn't. He's spent the last 5 years in Middle Earth, and he wants out. His next film will be a remake of King Kong, which sounds very interesting.

In a recent NZ press article, this was said;

Jackson also revealed he had hoped to bring JRR Tolkien's other classic book The Hobbit to the big screen, but the film rights are tied up in a "complex" arrangement involving a rival Hollywood studio.

The past tense used seems to indicate it's off the drawing board now.

17. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    i'm still going to watch the You Know What by the way ;) ;)

[face_devil] and you can't stop me! muhahahahaha! [face_devil]

but i am looking forward to the DvD, even though one of my friends has had it for ages
  18. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yea, The Hobbit isn't going to happen. But if it does, it will be by some one other than PJ and it will probably be fairly average. :(

JP - Frodo, boxer shorts? REALLY? SWEET!!!
  19. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, there's the stupid overpriced boxed set, as SFL posted above with statues and a set of Frodo Boxer Shorts or whatever, but the extended edition also comes in just a foldout DVD case sized case without all the extra crap. And it's much more reasonably priced.

Agreed. While the bonus Gollum DVD sounds good, I can live without the huge fancy-pants box, statue and outrageous price tag. I'll just be buying the standard EE, not the Platinum box or whatever the big one's called.

In a recent NZ press article, this was said;

Jackson also revealed he had hoped to bring JRR Tolkien's other classic book The Hobbit to the big screen, but the film rights are tied up in a "complex" arrangement involving a rival Hollywood studio.

I wasn't aware of that. Obviously it's slipped below my radar. But you're right, the past tense does make it sound like it's off the drawing board.
  20. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  21. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Teknobabel, trust me, Kmart has a 15% off sale every 4-6 weeks, not just November / December.

I wish I was still at head office, as I still would have greater visibilty of the marketing program, and I could let you guys know when the sales would be! ;) Only if, you wouldn't tell anyone! :)
  22. mauls-menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I got the FOTR Extended Edition with the Argonath Statues for $100 due to kmart have a great price plus 15% off, last year. Hoping they'll have the same thing this year for TTT with Gollum. :D
  23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I small piece of advice. Last year everyone (being stores) ordered multiple copies of the FOTR Special Ed DVD Gift Set (with statues). And not many sold. That's why many stores had discounts and sales and so-forth. I believe people will not order as many gift sets with gollum statue as they didn't have the great success as they thought. So there will be less TTT Gift Box sets, and thus I would have to say, if you want it - buy it - don't wait for a "possible" sale to get it cheapish.

I'll be buying it ASAP, I don't care if I spend a little more - I WANT it, and don't want to miss out... also - I wanna see the special stuff asap. :)
  24. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Slightly off topic, but did anyone catch the JJJ review of Two Towers on dvd?

Apparently the only thing worse than the lotr movies is the Star Wars prequels...

The only thing she enjoyed about the film, apparently, was the "homosexual relationship" between Frodo and Sam ...

Now there's our tax dollars put to good use!
  25. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    When I heard that review I wanted to kill Megan Spencer. And I'm not a violent person, and I don't have the urge to kill very often, if ever.

I'm so sick of the Sam and Frodo are lovers thing, it's so stupid! :mad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.