1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

Oceania Comming to a close. The LOTR final few months.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    God damn...that's one hell of a long movie...it might detract from the whole overall goodness, if it is slightly dodgy...
  2. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Spoiler/Speculation for the person talking about the ending a few posts back.

I've seen pics of how Saruman dies... and it's not at the Shire. Woprmtongue apparently pushes him out of Orthanc and he fall falls onto a wheel of some description. With the time and the content - don't be suprised if the shire is fine and not done over.

I don't think it will be 3 and a half hours. But it has been stated they are not short doing it for the sake of it. But 3.5 hours is not likely, if so - who cares? Everyone is wanting more after watching a LOTR movie anyway. :D
  3. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    SFL, can I call you that? Lol. May I just say

:mad:

Argh, if that's true this is one big fat Not Happy Jan coming from me in the movie.

Ok, calm now.

From now on I stay away from spoilers and speculation, because I don't wanna ruin it.

But 3 1/2 hours [face_love]

Oh if only!

I didn't want either FotR or TTT to stop, so I can't imagine I'll want RotK to stop.
  4. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Everyone else calls me SFL, so I don't see why not. :)

Yea, I was fairly annoyed, but then again. You have to remember. Lord of the Rings is 6books. To do it real justice there would need to be 6 films. There was only going to be 1 - so Peter left that company and then went to New Line asking for 2 films. Luckily they told him he could do 3. Tom Bombadil was a great character in the books, but had nothing to do with the story/plot in the screen play. He was hindering the progression of the plot. The FOTR was a story of getting the ring established and the Fellowship moving. Tom did not help in any way (really).

{However, they never said they did NOT go to Tom. We can all imagine they just cut that scene.}

Now, as for what may or may not happen in the ROTK. Let's be frank: It has a lot to cover. I mean, just look at the FOTR. The gift giving scene (crucial to events later in the books) was cut from the Thatrical release. Now, in the TTT extended edition, Sam and frodo use the rope - they had to cut that from TTT due to the gift iving scene missing the FOTR. But because the gifts were in FOTR Ex. they've included it in the TTT Ex. However, there was no "Box of soil and seed" given to Sam. Which also seals in my mind - what I have stated up there /\ highlighted out in Black (Spoiler/speculation). Now without the box for Sam... I don't know what will happen.

But, sadly, in all reality. These movies are based on and inspired by the books for JRR Tolkien. Not movies OF the books. And like any book to screen play, things have to change for them to work. The movies, ultimately, are a story about a Ring that is in all ways Evil and must be destroyed.

I can't elaborate due to people who will cry spoilers - which is stupid as the books have been out for half a century and so spoiler can NOT apply. But I will stop now before people cry. But those that know the books, you have to really think. Peter Jackson can't please everyone and has to do his best to change this into a workable screenplay.

I think the movies are great. I think the books are great.

That is all there is.

:)
  5. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, it's always been said from the start that the Scouring of the Shire won't be in RotK. Not written, not filmed. We'll all just have to deal with it. Personally, it doesn't bother me. What it means is that the focus will be on the bigger picture, the actual War Of The Ring. That will form the movie's climax, which I think is good. And having the extended ending with the Scouring would drag it all out far too much. It's going to be 3.5 hours without it, can you imagine how long it would be with it? I think that, like all the changes Peter Jackson has made, this is a good one, as it will make the story work better as a movie. The people who cry foul when the smallest thing is cut out don't seem to grasp that. Everything that's been changed/cut has made the books work better as films, like skipping Tom Bombadil, which, IMO, is the most dragging, boring, pointless part of the book. Take, for example, the ending of the seige of Helm's Deep. In the book, what happens? They fight for a while, then go inside, and in the morning a bunch of trees have shown up and eaten all the orcs. Can you imagine seeing that in the movie? What an anti-climax. In the film, you get the wonderful, amazing, operatatic charge down the hill out of the sunrise, which is an incredible piece of imagery and the perfect way to end the movie. I think, in the end, it comes down to that. Peter Jackson has done a mind-bogglingly good job of translating such a long, complicated story into movie form, and like it or not, some things need to be changed in this process.

RotK trailer: so good it makes me shiver. Literally. Aragorns speech is just... :eek:
  6. Republic_Clone_4 Jedi Knight

star 1
    *sigh* yes, if only he didn't have the voice of a muppet...
  7. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They fight for a while, then go inside, and in the morning a bunch of trees have shown up and eaten all the orcs. Can you imagine seeing that in the movie?

Umm yes. It's has been shown to be in the extended cut. And I loved the fact the trees got their own back on the orcs. "They come with knives, they come with axes. Nawing, biting, hacking, burning."

Oh, and if ANYONE says Aragorn's speech is a "Braveheart" rip off. :mad: they will answer to me!
  8. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Umm yes. It's has been shown to be in the extended cut. And I loved the fact the trees got their own back on the orcs. "They come with knives, they come with axes. Nawing, biting, hacking, burning."

It looks to me as though this will be striking a balance between the book ending and the movie ending. They won't be changing the charge down the hill or replacing it. All I know about the stuff with the trees is from that 2 second clip in the EE preview on the DVD. So I don't know how it will fit in. My point still stands that the end of the seige as presented in the book would not work in a satisfying way in the movie. Having elements of it while still having the epic charge of Gandalf and Eomer would work fine, however.
  9. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    The script of TTT itself at times sounds musical: the line that's been quoted above from Treebeard has a nice, rhythmic flow to it.

I'm betting there will be some sort of "Ringbearers onto the Ships" scene included in the finale, or some kind of "fast forward to the future" scenes similar to the Arwen "fading" scenes from TTT; I only have a feeling about that from the nice little bit of foreshadowing with the smoke rings Bilbo and Gandalf blow in FOTR, a white (elven?) ship passing into the West through the One Ring.
  10. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe it was just me...but I found TTT no where near as good as Fellowship...it was still a really cool movie, but it lacked something...
  11. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I am sick and tired of people doing that.

You *can not* say:

"FOTR was boring, nothing happened really"

"TTT was better than FOTR"

"FOTR was better than TTT"

THEY ARE ALL ONE STORY.

FOTR is the first 1/3. It is not an entire stand alone movie. People say it sucked, and is that the end?! NO IT IS NOT, IT'S JUST THE BEGINNING.

//end rant.

:p ;)
  12. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, then it's a low part in the saga...lowish, at least. Or maybe I could say:
    "Gee, the second third of that saga just wasn't as good as the first third..." :cool:

I don't count it all as one big thing. It's a seperate movie, just as Episode I is to II. I just didn't find it as entertaining, that's all.
  13. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *Nods as SFL rants*

Amen brutha! :D

Yeah, I'm sure that RotK will end with the Grey Havens scene, esspecially because a reasonable amount of focus has been put on the elves' departure. And my great hope is that we'll then see Sam, Merry and Pippin make their way home, then have Sam sitting down in his chair and ending the movie with that wonderful line: "Well, I'm home."
  14. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol Rabbit

Yup, here's hoping BigbossNass
  15. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    //starts hyperventilating//

LESS THAT TWO MONTHS PEOPLE!!!
  16. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's pray that it's good...wait, of course it'll be. Even without...*sob*...Boromir...
  17. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *cough* flash backs *cough*
  18. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    How are people loving the extended edition? I think it's pretty great so far, havn't seen all the bonus material yet. The Gollum statue and bonus DVD are pretty sweet!!!

:D

And less than a month to go to ROTK!!! :D
  19. Sith Interceptor Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree, T2T was not as engrossing as LOTR.

And yes I can say that. They're two separate books and two separate movies. :)
  20. Nyder Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be seeing it on the 17th [face_devil]
  21. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    My sister saw it wednesday night. She said it's *probably* the best movie she has ever seen!
  22. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This was the only one of the three that I felt weird about when comming out. Some things I felt were cheesy or poorly done, unfortunately.

But to see my rantings see the Lord of the Rings thread in the NZ board.

All in all however a fantastic movie and a great trilogy. :D
  23. BecJedi Jedi Master

star 3
    I saw it on Wednesday in Perth, cuz of a radio comp. I left the cinema barely able to talk for half an hour and...it was just amazing. It's a very powerful movie, the most powerful I've seen. I cried for Frodo and 'the fat hobbit'! :_|
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.