main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Common complaints w/ EP2, how is romance ever NOT considered cheezy or corny?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DINVADER, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DINVADER

DINVADER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2000
    I've asked this over a dozen times in here, yet no one has the knows of a romance in a movie that is NOT cheezy and never has cheezy dialogue.
    Why? Because real romances are like that! Some will say they ar not. Yet again no one will be able to give me an example of a romance that does not have lines that could be considered cheezy. This complaint I am totally sick of! Romance always has a mush factor. Look back your own romances, didn't you shoot the breeze and say some corny stuff? I sure did, so did my galpal. I think you're in denial if you say otherwise.

2. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Yeah, you have a point, but when there's frolicking in the fields, its time to start killing things.....

3. DINVADER

Jan 25, 2000
    Actually, I thought the rolling in the grass was a sweet scene. I'm happy it wasn't cut. I don't let my "I hate mushy romance" masculine ego get in the way.

4. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    No, its just that I wish they would have done something other then the cliched picnic. The dinner scene looks cool. I actually like the way the relationship develops AFTER this scene. It starts to get serious.

And I know they're young and in love..blah blah. So am I. And if I ever roll around in the fields with my girlfriend, I'll gladly take the cyanide pill.

5. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Example: "Before Sunrise" directed by Richard Linklater, 1995.

6. DINVADER

Jan 25, 2000
    I see nothing wrong with some playful frollicking. Plus the field made for a beautiful visual.

7. SWEEET_JEEBUS

SWEEET_JEEBUS Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    AOTC will probably never be remembered as one of the great romantic movies of all time.

I suppose the romance in AOTC is contrived (though I haven't seen the movie). But ANH and TPM had no romance.

Neither did FOTR, for that matter. Or any of the Star Trek movies.

But that's beside the point.

I think the romance would've come over better if Lucas and company didn't tout the romantic aspect of the movie as being something incredible.

I think the romance in this movie works. By Star Wars standards.

And that is not a criticism.

8. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I refuse to believe that a public that made Titanic the #1 movie of all time will find the romance in AOTC contrived.

9. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    If you want to see a romantic movie see A Walk to Remember... I was sitting in the threatre praying Lucas would use similar dialogue. Well, frankly it's nothing I quite want to see. BUT I WILL KEEP AN OPEN MIND. I'm in it for the Star Wars, not the love.

Again just keep an open mind, and keep in mind, that it's pretty essential to the plot.

10. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    High Fidelity

11. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    A Walk to Remember? I'm sorry, but I got drug to that by my girlfriend, and that is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Nicholas Sparks (the author of the book which the film is based on) has got to be one of the most predictable writers on the planet. Someone dies at the end of almost all his books. The dialogue is that movie is so awful it makes Titanic look Oscar-worthy (oh wait...)

I agree with Padme Bra, if Titanic can be considered great with its absolutely vomit inducing love story and dialogue, so can AOTC's cheesy love story.

12. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    It was so vomit-inducing that it made close to $2 billion worldwide. But I suppose it means nothing that lots of teen-aged girls enjoyed "Titanic".

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Now I'm confused. JP-30 says that the Shaak's and the "meadow frolick" is in there, but other reviews say it's not...

14. cc2318

cc2318 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    if its believable, it isn't cheesy.

simple as that. :)

I personally want to see an unbelievable love scene. Natalie can't have Hayden! He's MINE, dang it.

M-I-N-E.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the term 'teenager' is the problem some are having.

Portman and Hayden are much younger than Harrison and Carrie were in ESB, so I think there is this feeling some may get that its a typical teenage romp or something. I have never heard anyone say that the Han and Leia romance was cheesy.

16. The_Reek

The_Reek Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    High Fedility (however you spell the piece of rubbish)!

That movie was the worst "love" story ever. For that matter, what "love"? There was none, it was about this looser who wanted to be around beautiful woman and have sex with them. There was no "love". Love is compassion, trust, and sometimes passion (not the sexual kind you see in Latin movies). Love is not blind, it sees very well, and when two people like eachother and want to "do it" and are NOT married, it is called lust and sin. When they are married, its considered a bad marriage. But when two people have compassion for eachother, trust eachother, like eachother, and then comes the "want to do it" to eachother, and they're married. Then its a true love story. No more crap about adulters and sex adicts.

That's all.

17. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    The other amusing complaint I've heard is that they fall in love too fast and it's not believable. Uhhh, yeah, good point. Name me one other movie where two people WEREN'T in love at the beginning, but WERE in love by the end.

18. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Come on people. You know that all the complaints about the romance are around because the rest of the movie ROCKS so much. :)

Titanic had one of the silliest love stories in the history of film and yet people LOVED it.

Also, which is it? Can Hayden act or can he not act? It seems that one review says "Hayden can really act" and then the next says "Hayden cannot act."

WHICH IS IT? ;)

Also, if TPM sucked so much then why did it make so much money? Even I have to admit that the Matrix did not suck... I just didn't love it like many others. Why can't some people just accept that their view of a movie isn't the end all judgement about its worth to society?

RB

19. cc2318

Apr 21, 2002
    hayden can act, but you all know who he loves :D

NO, not natalie!

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "Uhhh, yeah, good point. Name me one other movie where two people WEREN'T in love at the beginning, but WERE in love by the end."

?[face_plain] Err...Titanic, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Star Wars, Spider-Man, Moulin Rouge...did you mean something else?

I hope he isn't cc, as Natalie is mine [face_love]

21. Bumfork

Bumfork Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    Example: "Before Sunrise" directed by Richard Linklater, 1995.

Denied for cheezy dialogue and events. Great flick, though.

Ditto. I could watch both of these flicks over and over again.

Chasing Amy, silly dialogue and awkward ending. Annie Hall, dopey dialogue and characterization. Any Nora Ephron movie. All are corny.

22. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001

Ditto. I could watch both of these flicks over and over again.

If it;s rubbish, why watch it over and over? That doesn't make sense. ANd I reject your denial. Compared to some AOTC dialogue and something like Titanic, it isn;t cheesy whatsoever.

23. cc2318

Apr 21, 2002
    you better have some STRONG force powers, darth iggy, or there's no way she'll fall for your lightning scheme

...although luke went down pretty fast, lol

24. Fearless_Leader

Fearless_Leader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Cliched picnic scene?!!

I haven't seen a movie in years, maybe not even one in the last decade that had a picnic scene.

Cliched, my butt!

25. The_Reek

The_Reek Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    I don't know what you people think. But the only movie that even dares to challenge Star Wars movies is the Matrix. It is by FAR in the top 10 of the greatest sci-fi movies of ALL time. Along with Star Wars, Aliens, Preditor movies, and others.

The small "love" story in the Matrix was corny, but I thought they actually did fall in what Hollywood considers "love", it was realistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.