main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Common complaints w/ EP2, how is romance ever NOT considered cheezy or corny?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DINVADER, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "I don't like sand, it is rough and BLAH BLAH...not like you..you are smooth and..." *CRINGE* I found that literally chillingly AWFUL."

Anakin doesn't say that! Sorry to rant, but I'm getting tired of people misquoting that line.
    As for the love story, I think it's hit and miss. Titanic worked better, not because the dialogue was great (c'mon, "I'm flying Jack", "This is where we first met") but because there was more obvious chemistry between the stars and the relationship was developed believably.
    However, AOTC was far superior to Pearl Harbor's romance, because Lucas had the good sense to avoid a love triangle and also cut the romance up with lots of action. Imagine watching half an hour of Anakin and Padme's romance uninterrupted! Now that would have been painful :)

2. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Having just seen Spider-Man for the first time, which was an overrated and subpar movie, I don't ever again want to hear anyone complain about Episode II's love story.

Spidey's love story was worse than Pearl Harbor's. Just aweful. Kirston Dunst couldn't act her way out of a cardboard box.

I just don't even want to go into how terrible Spidey's love story was. Urgghh!!!

Episode II's was brilliant compared to it, lets just put it that way.

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Peter Parker and Mary Jane's love story is miles better than Nat and Hayden's. There's nothing in Spiderman to compare to the fireside speech. Plus, Peter Parker and Mary Jane are fresh out of high school! How smart are they supposed to be? They aren't supposed to be smarter than a 24-year-old former queen and senator and a young man who has undergone celibate Jedi training for the last ten years. Sadly, Nat and Hayden acted far, far less mature than Peter and Mary Jane.

Finally, the ending of Spiderman leaves AOTC's love story in the dust. Peter rejects Mary Jane in order to protect her. "This is my gift. This is my curse." Nothing in AOTC rises to that level.

For the Spiderman love story to be as bad as the one in AOTC, something like this would have had to have happened:

Brother Peter, a 19-year-old monk who has been raised in the monastery since age 9, runs into a 24-year-old girl (Mary Jane) he vaguely knew as a child. He immediately starts borderline stalking her. Mary Jane sensibly rebuffs him (since she has a PhD), but makes sure she shows off a lot of skin. Brother Peter, unbeknownst to Mary Jane, is secretly the Green Goblin. He ultimately reveals to Mary Jane that he is the mass murderer known as the Green Goblin. As a result, Mary Jane falls deeply, truly in love with Brother Peter, so they get married at the end.

4. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Good one, Binary :)
    But didn't you find it a bit odd that MJ had been living next door to Peter all her life and barely realised he existed? But maybe that would explain why she leaves her bedroom curtains open when there's a horny teenage boy directly opposite her window? ;)

The romance in Spidey was okay, but I preferred the comic version where PP didn't meet MJ until they were both in their late teens. His Aunt and her neighbor kept trying to get Peter to meet MJ and he thought she was going to look like the Hulk until he finally saw her.

5. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm glad you thought it funny, DarthHomer! :)

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with the Spiderman comics, so I can't compare the movie with the comic. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones. ;)

As for the romance in AOTC, I can at least understand (if not always agree with) fans who like all the other aspects of AOTC. But the romance is the pits. It is the Jar Jar of AOTC. Even if I were a rabid AOTC gusher, I would shake my head and say, "The romance is the movie's one weak spot. We just have to overlook that lemon in light of how great the rest of the movie is."

6. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    You've got to be kidding me, Binary.

The love story in Spider-Man was pitiful because Mary Jane is basically a slut since she's been dating so many men while Peter does nothing to make her notice him except make puppy dog eyes at her even when she isn't noticing.

When MJ finally decided to let Peter be her boyfriend, he refused......talk about making a big mistake. Though I understand why, he still made a big mistake because he has had a crush on her since he was 6 and when he had the chance to go out with her, he threw it away.

As for AOTC's love story, Anakin is NOT a stalker because he never spys on Padme nor does he follow her around every 24/7 since he's already been assigned to protect her and plus, a stalker would not give up so easily if a woman rejects him(which is what Anakin did when Padme rejected him).

As for the mass murderer part, if you find out your mother was kidnapped and beaten to death by the very same Tuskens, you would have done the same thing Anakin did minus taking out women and children. Why would Padme still fall in love with Anakin and marry him despite that he commited this heinous act? The same reason why her son can sense there's good in him even when he spent 25 years committing evil deeds in the universe, she has unconditional love for Anakin.

Plus, she doesn't know enough about the Tuskens to even want to leave Anakin alone besides what she's been told about them by Cliegg Lars, her last encounter with the Tuskens at the podrace when they were shooting at the racers(including Anakin), and the fact that they killed Ani's mom.

I think the love story in AOTC was much more believable than the one in Spider-Man because I was sold to the fact that Anakin and Padme were in love with each other(even when Padme didn't want to admit it).

7. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Basically, they totally screwed up MJ's character in the Spider-Man film. In the comics she was always strong and sassy. She would never get involved in TWO bad relationships in a row and also would never act like a screaming damsel in distress whenever threatened. What was the deal with her not even being able to move after the Goblin blew up the balcony?
    I agree with Binary that the romance in AOTC falls short, but I found Anakin and Padme stronger as individual characters, which is why I had no problem with them being together at the end.

8. libwil

libwil Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    I agree with Binary Sunset. When I read Attack of the Clones I felt the romance and the tension between Anakin and Padme. Unfortunately I wished more of that dialogue could have been mentioned in the film.
    Take for example when Padme tells Anakin about not wanting to hide and wanting to stay when the vote counts the most. George left out a lot of info in that scene. Anakin said something he should not have and Padme shot back at him saying if I want your opinion on the matter I will ask for it, also when Anakin goes to whining about how Obi Wan doesnt listen to him,is overprotective, Padme shoots back and says humiliting him in front of her courtsmaiden,You know Anakin you remind me of that little boy that got angry when he could not get his way. Poignant statement, but absent from the scene. Also the Tusken Raider Village confession.In the book the details were much more specific, Anakin messed up and Padme was telling him are you angry at them or you angry at what they did to your mother. I am angry at them says Anakin and Padme says so they warrant your anger. Poignant statement. Anakin also says i dont hate them but i cant forgive them and he says I am so sorry I am so sorry and breaks down in Padme's arms crying like a baby. Hence mother and son bond. From the film Padme came across as stiff and didnt really challenge Anakin that much. In the book the bond between was much more tenseful and passionate. I believe that in terms of overall moviemaking at its finest. ESB has to be the best of them all, the storywriting was impeccable and one definitely felt the characters. In AOTC, i felt Anakin but Padme no, she compensated for a lack of lines with sexy clothing. Uh not good.

9. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Never underestimate the power of music. I felt John William's score was one of the few thing that gave the romance any substance.

10. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    It's a Star Wars movie. Come on. People have to have SOMETHING to complain about.

And in all reality, I love Titanic. And I will say Titanic does have the better love story. But you see- Titanic IS a love story. Attack of the Clones isn't. There is a love story THERE but it's not as focused. You have a war breaking out, plenty of action scenes- the whole movie is not a love story. If it was, I'm sure it would be just as good as Titanics'. But it's not. People just can't seem to get thier priorities straight.

It's like saying "oh the humor in Episode II isn't as good as the humor in Dumb and Dumber." That's because D&D IS a comedy, and Episode II isn't.

P.S.- I don't think D&D had better comedy. I was just using an example. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.