main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Communications disruption: boards.theforce.net vs facebook group

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jawajames , Jul 2, 2013.

1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    So I've noticed that we have two almost completely separate club forums:
    - this board on the theforce.net
    - our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/18350664456/

Other than Jacob and me, there is really no visible overlap between the two forums - there's a chunk of people here who don't use facebook, and most of the people who post over there don't come to the board here and post, despite our efforts to link to discussions here. While the board here is much easier to use for discussions because we have post-reply threads, the facebook group is more accessible to people looking for star wars groups (we have over 100 members in the group, though perhaps only about a dozen people actually post, vs the six or seven here) and so the newest members of the club are more active on the facebook group.

Adding to this communications gap is that our top two elected club officers don't post much on either board, leaving Jacob to do most of the online coordination. Decisions are made in these forums for scheduling events, and simply posted over there.

Having two different systems for communication, with the 'oldbies' here and the 'newbies' there, is not good for the long term health of this club. What can we do to help bridge the gap?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Is there a way to make the Facebook page not allow comments so that to comment they have to come here? And just use that as a bulletin board of sorts to just announce what we're doing?

Because you're right, it's really annoying that nobody comes here when this is our MAIN board. ALL our discussion should be happening here. Period.

3. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Brian and James , I totally agree. Not sure how to set fb to those setting tho.

4. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    I feel that if we set the FB page to be announcements only, it will not drive people to use the board here - it will drive people to not comment and only be lurkers, (which is not community), or drive them away to other groups that are more welcome than us on facebook. We've tried to encourage people to visit the boards here with very little success.

I've made a similar post on FB about this, and we've gotten 5 people besides me to respond to it, versus just 2 here, in the same amount of time.

5. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    And one-and-a-half of us are unemployed. >_>

6. Starbuk7

Starbuk7 Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2013
    Sorry for not being as active as I should be. I am still new at this having only been with the group for my second year. Not sure of a solution to this dilemma though. We should actually be using this forum for communications but facebook gives email notices when someone posts something. Maybe a link in a new facebook posting to the corresponding thread here would work so you would get a facebook email and link to here to continue the conversation/debate. Just a thought!!

7. yoshiki

yoshiki Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    Not all of us live on the net. Therefore the time lag between this forum and FB is not an accurate comparison. People who use FB tend to live on the net and want to instantly respond to stuff.

Well you have pointed out something I've been bitching about for awhile now. If people on FB don't want to use the boards there's not much you can do about it. Just like you wont be making me use FB. Maybe we should split into two clubs?

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It doesn't help that out Facebook is also filled with idiotic posts.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  9. Dune_Sea_Hermit

Dune_Sea_Hermit Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I don't think we can go beyond friendly reminders and links. Do Facebook users know they can login to Jedi Council Forums using Facebook ID?

10. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    We've already done that once. No. >_>

11. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Facebook sort of turned is into 2 different clubs....:(

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Did it really? How many people from the facebook group actually attend events/meetings?

13. yoshiki

yoshiki Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    Why don't we just post in the FB page that a time and date has been set and to visit these forums to get the info. If people don't want to be bothered with coming to these boards then the question is do you really want them in the club.

But as was mentioned above how many FB only users actually go to events? ( like i should be talking )

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  14. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    This is a good idea. Just post basic information on Facebook and then put a link to the post here for them to click to get more information.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  15. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Gary D is pretty regular. and at the anniversary picnic, we had some others - Cecil & Theresa G, and Reynaldo A - all longtime lurkers, first time attendees.