Amph [Community] I'm in love.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
  2. tom Chosen One

star 6
    had some great moments for sure. way better than last week.
    Darth McClain and PrincessKenobi like this.
  3. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    1. Britta running around in her underwear. (RATINGS)

2. Annie play-acting the marriage.

3. The CBS version of Inspector Spacetime.
  5. Stackpole_The_Hobbit Force Ghost

star 6
  6. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    4. Jeff's British accent

Good that Troy and Abed are sorted.
  7. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    The whole episode I kept saying this is Classic Community and everything I've been missing the last two episodes.

And Jeff and Annie aww

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You all know the Internet friend of Abed is this guy: [IMG] Not sure how many of you know Little Britain.
    Last edited by jp-30, Feb 23, 2013
    PrincessKenobi likes this.
  9. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i did know that! tricia helfer from battlestar galactica also guest starred, and of course luke perry and jennie garth from 90210 in the american inspector spacetime.
  10. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
  11. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Unimpressed by that last episode. It felt way too much like the writers were laughing at geeks, not with them. Way to alienate one of your key viewerships and/or Big Bang Theory-ize the show.
  12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit Force Ghost

star 6
    wrong
    Darth-Lando likes this.
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I totally thought they were laughing with geeks.
  14. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yeah same, i mean it was clearly written by geeks.
  15. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    They might have been laughing, but I wasn't.
  16. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    That's the equivalent of an "is so", "is not" argument... do expound a bit. For example, I can support my point of view with the dialogue they gave Jeff about convention-goers never having had sex, or the fact that the villain he supposedly resembled was a lazily-assembled generic comic book archetype and not a parody of a real character in Doctor Who, as far as I could tell.

When Harmon was with the show, there were more multi-layered attempts at humor that could appeal to and be understood by different demographics. I think he could have successfully put in one layer of jokes to appeal to the masses making fun of con-goers and another that was winking at the geek viewers, making references geeks would find witty but average people would totally miss. The show used to be Shakespeare-esque that way. Unfortunately, this last episode failed to point out the obvious humor in their CBS version of Inspector Spacetime being a bit like the 2005 relaunch of Doctor Who, or the parallels between Abed and Troy's relationship and the Doctor's relationship with some of his companions. That's the sort of humor that would need to be threaded in for me to agree it was meant to be funny to geeks, not just people who laugh at geeks.
    Last edited by Dark Lady Mara, Feb 26, 2013
  17. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Except it is very much in Jeff's character to say something like this. Just because a character has a certain point of view doesn't mean at all that the show shares it. The history of the show is full of Jeff having a negative attitude about something but coming around and at least accepting it by the end of the episode, much like this one!
    Stackpole_The_Hobbit likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV - Vacationing and stuff

Manager
    star 5
    I thought the CBS version of Inspector Spacetime was more a take-that at Elementary than anything Doctor Who related.
  19. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it was more a general comment on how British shows get butchered when they are remade for American audiences. I took it in that general sense as opposed to a comment on any one specific show.
  20. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV - Vacationing and stuff

Manager
    star 5
    True, Elementary merely being one of the most recent.
  21. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    Yeah Jeff's words and actions during the episode were very Jeff. I was just glad they didn't write Troy so dumb down this episode.
  22. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i will agree with beth that it maybe could have been more nuanced and layered, but i think people always want to compare every new episode to the very best episodes from the past. this wasn't the greatest episode, but it was far from the worst.
  23. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I think the style was definitely supposed to make it look like a CBS-style procedural, and I suspect the San Francisco setting was referencing the American-made Doctor Who movie from the 1990's. In fact, there were at least a few references that indicated one or more writers knew enough about what they were parodying.
  24. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Red Dwarf USA immediately sprang to mind for me.
  25. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Hmm, true. I didn't even think of that movie. My mind jumped to Amy Pond as soon as Pierce started demanding more tall, leggy eye candy. :p