Amph [Community] I'm in love.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    It's quite unfortunate that that episode had the lowest viewership so far. Seriously, why isn't this show more popular?
  2. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    To be fair, it was after a month-long hiatus.
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Because it's on NBC. Honestly. NBC is a double edged sword for quirky comedies. There are many underrated but wonderful comedy shows on NBC. It's a network that's kind of willing to try anything and which has a long history of great comedies. So that's a plus. You can get stuff on the network you wouldn't be able to get on other networks. The downside is, though, that the network has really low viewership, so it's almost impossible to build an audience. They don't have any big tentpole shows to attract viewers. And until they do, their other good shows aren't going to have much viewership.

Now it does mean it's a lot easier to get renewed on NBC. For instance, Parenthood is one of the top rated dramas on NBC now, but would be something like the 13th show on CBS. Now it might have higher viewership on CBS. But it really does 'feel' like an NBC show. And because it's on NBC, even mild success is worth of a renewal. (By the way, everyone should watch that show. It's brilliant. It's like the dramedy version of Modern Family).

Modern Family, for instance, is a show that has the viewer support of ABC to get it good ratings. And it deserves them. But to me it really feels like an NBC-type comedy. Wry, witty, quirky, single-camera. But they managed to get on ABC because of the family angle, and good on them because many more people are watching.

It's worth noting, though, that when you look at just the key demo, NBC actually beats other networks on some nights. And looking more narrowly at 18-34, I noticed that at least this week it was the #1 network in this age group. Young people really do watch all those quirky comedy shows that no one else does. If NBC got a big hit, more people probably would. I think they're hoping the new JJ Abrams series "The Undercovers" will be such a tentpole. We'll see.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  4. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
  5. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yes. And they were stoked because its first year it was a bona fide hit. They were hoping it could be the tentpole they needed to prop up their other shows, which also have young audiences. But it immediately began sucking and falling off its second season, and has dropped like a rock ever since. It is in severe danger of finally being canceled this year. And that's what's happened to any hopes for NBC :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Personally I think Heroes started sucking part way through season one. Its finale certainly stank. Really, come to think of it, the only episode that really stands out as being any good form that show is probably "Company Man".
  8. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I honestly can't say because I've only seen the first few episodes of the first season. They were decently good. But I could see how it could easily get horrible. My directing prof directed a couple episodes the first season that I want to see just so I know what he's talking about, though (Fallout and The Hard Part). I'd heard they were good but I don't know. It's not like he wrote them, though :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  9. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, it was really the writing that sank the show. The over-arching plots never came together, too much fanwank, inconsistent application of powers, stereotyped characterizations, you name it, the show had them. Its a really great example of a interesting premise ruined by making every creative decision incorrectly.
  10. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Basically, what happened to Heroes was it started being a comic book -- which isn't surprising at all, but disappointing that a television show could sink to that low.
  11. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    Watching Community makes me cringe at how awful The Office has become. I <3 Abed.

Heroes wasn't bad the first season, I was patient with how bad the second became through sheer inertia, and about 2 episodes into the third rather than blow my brains out I just quit cold turkey and never looked back. I agree that it was the writing that just destroyed that show, and it deserves to die. Once I decide to go with a show with a clear over-arching plot, I want to see how it turns out even if I have to suffer through some low quality crap. Usually I only do this if I have whole series of the show to watch straight through, so I was able to stick through about 7 seasons of Smallville, and when Heroes was consistently worse than that, I knew I had to leave.

I haven't got into this Modern Family show, but I would much rather watch a show about lovable single losers in college than some kind of family situation comedy.(dramedy?)
  12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    I hear Heroes may get a 13 episode final season just to wrap itself up. Just put it down already, it's for the best. My biggest issue was that after season 1 the mythology dried up. I mean, the first season was chock full of visual clues, foreshadowing, everything seemed to have some significance - Like Lost, it was something you wanted to immediately run to the computer and get onto the first fan message board you could find and be all like OMG WHAT WAS THAT. But the magic quickly vanished in season 2, as bigger (not better) mysteries and story arcs took over, ones that actually turned off a lot of viewers. There was no point in being invested in a show that was full of confusion and even self contradiction. The first season had a pretty clear direction - save the cheerleader, save the world. All plotlines converged on that. After season one, everything was scattered and haphazard.

Wait why are we talking about heroes in a community thread
  13. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Because you're a bunch of spammers. SPAMMERS.
  14. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Nah, just straight up comedy. It's done in a sort of Office documentary style, with interviews and whatnot. But it's not really the kind of thing you'd normally get from a family sitcom. It's much more wry and quirky. It really is like if The Office were a bunch of family members instead of co-workers. I would say it's just about loveable losers who are part of a family. Probably fairly similar in tone to Community. Both shows are rad.

The dramedy version of Modern Family is Parenthood, essentially. Also a great NBC show no one is watching.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Stupid Heroes.

My thread is ruined. RUINED.
  16. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    One transfusion of Claire's blood will fix everything.

After all, it's apparently worked for every other conceivable problem the writers of this show have come up with.
  17. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Oh. My god. That was probably the greatest episode of television I have ever seen.

Unbelievable.
  18. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Dammit, I have to wait two more hours.
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Write some original songs!

Damn, he brought it back.

I thought it was paint, but I'm just bleeding.

Now, it's not Blu-ray, but it comes with its own remote, so--

Could be me. I'm sporting a man-thong.

...It's riding up a little.
  20. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    That was the best thing I've ever seen.
  21. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
    Best episode ever.
  22. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't know what happened. My life has just been changed. That was seriously one of the best half hours of TV I've ever seen!

-sj loves kevin spacey
  23. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
  24. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    What? Am I the only one who didn't care for last week's episode? You're crazy.

However, she was right about Modern Family. Took a few episodes to get interesting, and it isn't generally of the same caliber as the NBC comedies--but it's up there. As it stands, I rank my comedies at:

1. HIMYM
    2. Community
    3. Parks and Recreation
    4. Modern Family / Office
    5. 30 Rock (how the mighty have fallen)
  25. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I like how the seasons line up with college semesters.