main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM Community Service: TOMORROW, July 22

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I know this is highly last minute, but my mom has suggested that we, those of us in the ORFF in Alamogordo, get some of the community service we've wanted to do by helping her tomorrow night. There's going to be a jazz concert with ice cream at Bethel Baptist Church, for COPE.

My mom's the executive director of COPE (Center of Protective Environment, Inc. It's a non-profit organization that shelters and counsels abused women and children, counsels abusers, and educates the community on such matters. Right now, they're raising money for a new shelter. The one they have now has room for 12 people, officially, and they have about 22 people in it anyway. You can imagine how crowded it is. So anyway, the French brothers construction company is helping to build it, but it's still quite expensive. So, this jazz concert is being put on to raise money.

The jazz band playing is the "Just Jazz" group from NMSU-A, led by Jan King (my former piano teacher!). Everything starts at 7:30 (although the music starts at 7:15). Those of us that would like to help- and I'm not sure what they need us to do- they want us there at 6:00pm. Bethel Baptist is the blue-roofed church on Scenic.

Any questions? I'll be there. PLEASE someone come so we can make this an ORFF event.

2. gneiss_jedi

gneiss_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    I'd come, but I have a previous engagement. ;):)

I hope a lot of people show up!

3. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Sorry I missed this. I haven't been on the boards for a few days so I am learning about this a day late. Hope people showed up and the event went well.

4. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Well, COPE raised $4,000! But no FFers were there but me, so I won't consider this an FF activity. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.