main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Compare TCW Characters with PT Characters

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by enigmaticjedi, Jan 13, 2015.

1. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    Anakin is better (thought almost bipolar at times). Dooku is the same. Grievous is worse. Obi-Wan is worse, because of writing and not acting. Darth Maul is far better. Qui-Gon Jinn is worse (naturally, but only fair if we are counting Darth Maul). I'm torn on Mace Windu, because I enjoy his portrayal as a super serious jedi, but at the same time I don't see the battle master who defeated Sidious. On the note, Sidious is on point and equally amazing. Yoda, is worse, but again because of writing and not acting. Padme is marginally better, thought I could never derive much character from her in the prequels.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The amazing thing is that TCW even made Jar Jar less awful. Like you didn't want to jab pencils into your ears every time he opened his mouth.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TPM Padme>>>>AOTC Padme >> TCW Padme >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ROTS Padme

AOTC Padme is slightly better than TCW Padme because of Clovis

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  4. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Anakin is better, Padme's better, Commander Cody is better, pretty much everyone else I prefer to be shown in Live-Action tho.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Padme gets actual stuff to do in TCW outside of being "Anakin's love interest." And she has more of a personality (I love Natalie Portman, but those films were not some of her best work).

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Jar Jar still sucks regardless

jabberwalkie likes this.
  7. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think the CW added some great depth to Maul and several of the secondary Jedi, like Luminara, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, etc that had no lines in the movies.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't mind Jar Jar in TCW at all, actually.
    Then again, I don't hate him in TPM either, to be honest. I used to, but now I'm saving my hate for the ball droid in TFA!

(Yes, that was a joke, based on some fans' overreactions to a two-second shot in a trailer - please don't hit me)

The Most Cunning Jedi likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    *hits you* :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's OK, I had it coming.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

The Jedi Council.in the movies.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I know.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Why?

15. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    He was too nice too often in TCW, Anakin is supposed to be flawed, at least more so than Luke was.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He was fun. Nothing wrong with that. And he was supposed to be a "good man" at some point.

17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, Obi Wan describes him as a good man, a cunning warrior, a good friend, etc in ANH. And he refers to him as having once been a "good man" again in ROTJ. That's what's so tragic about him, he WAS a decent guy who started out with good intentions and was tragically seduced to evil. And that's why Luke still has faith that he can be redeemed. PT Anakin was a whiny little **** who never really gave off that vibe. TCW Anakin actually sounds like the guy that Obi Wan describes in the OT. And we saw hints at his "inner darkness" in TCW. His tendency to be rash, anger issues, bouts of jealously, willingness to be more ruthless than maybe a Jedi should, etc. Basically, TCW pulled off the balancing act much better.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Was he nice to Clovis no.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody should be nice to Clovis.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  21. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Luke was a was a whiny little **** too in ANH and most of TESB. By ROTJ he seemed to outgrow it. Anakin is supposed to be more flawed than Luke so he should be more whiny, that is why he makes the wrong choices while Luke makes the right ones. I still think Anakin was played too nice in TCW, that version of him is less believable turning into someone like Vader. In the PT there are scenes where Anakin and Obi-Wan joke about past adventures and getting along ok, the PT version of him is not all whiny little **** . In the PT. Obi-Wan loved Anakin like a brother, he had become too close and attached to Anakin and didn't want to see some of Anakin's flaws. Part of the reason Anakin ended up turning was because Obi-Wan failed to address some of his problems. As Obi-Wan said himself in ROTJ, I thought I could train Anakin as well as Master Yoda, I was wrong.

Basically, Anakin was an extra challange to train properly and Obi-Wan was too inexperienced and got too close to train him correctly.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan blaming himself does not mean that Obi-Wan correctly blamed himself. Anakin's turn was all Anakin's fault. No one, not Obi-Wan, not anyone else, was going to be able to address Anakin's problems when Anakin did not think he had problems. He thought he was the best and the problems were everyone else's. There is no working with anyone who has that attitude.

As far as him being flawed, there are more ways to show that a character is flawed without making him a whiny little *****.

The PT should have shown more brotherhood scenes. I'm glad TCW filled that role.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Everyone is flawed which I liked about TCW.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Perfect characters are boring as hell, but some flaws are better than others.

25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't really feel good comparing them since they are the same character. It's like James Bond. They are all the same (no, don't talk about that theory that they are all different because it's stupid), and yet each actor shows a different side to the character. So if I were to look at TCW Anakin against Hayden's Anakin, I wouldn't try to separate them into different characters in different media, but combine them and see how one's portrayal affects the other and so on and so forth. Watching through The Clone Wars and watching ROTS is almost mind-blowing in this regard.