main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Complete 9 episode saga boxset

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Matty20172018, May 27, 2018.

1. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    So, probably a silly question, but should we expect that Disney will release a Complete saga boxset with new documentaries and the like in maybe late 2020 after Episode 9 is out for public purchase. Or will this happen further down the line?

The last and only major saga boxset was the 2011 release. And that was released by George Lucas.
    This one would be overseen by Disney with no input from Lucas wouldn't it?

Thoughts?

DarthTalonx likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I have no doubt that they'll release a box set with all nine episodes in 2020 or 2021 (depending on if they want to include new bonus features and how long it'll take to make those).
    To me, though, I-VI is still a complete story, with VII-IX functioning as a sequel to that story, so I'll probably just get myself a Sequel Trilogy Box Set to put next to my Complete Saga Box Set (assuming they'll release a trilogy box set).

We'll see, though! It kind of depends on the contents, too.

oierem likes this.
  3. Matty20172018

Aug 20, 2017
    Surely the sequels are part of the larger story though, else why call them Episode VII, Episode VIII and Episode IX. I suppose that Episode IX will fulfill the larger context of what story we are actually being told with regards to the sequel trilogy. At the moment with the current couple of films we have, I am not particularly sure why these films have been designated as part of the Episodic films. We still are not sure where Rey fits into all of this, neither do we really know why Kylo Ren is so obsessed with Vader.

The prequels were about the fall of the Old Republic, the rise of a demonic Empire, the seduction of an objectively good person, who is manipulated into changing sides because of his own fears and insecurities arising from all the darkness surrounding him on all sides. The central trilogy (classics) films are about the son of the evil sith lord going on a journey of discovery, going out into a larger world, while in the process of which fulfilling his destiny in restoring freedom to the galaxy. Its the story of evil conquering good and then good overcoming evil through courage and righteousness.

So far the sequels seem to be a cautionary tale of good becoming all too complacent to the determined presence of evil and its capabilities to coerce those of fear and aggression to take the quick and easy path (The dark side). Luke is guilty of this himself in that he feared that Ren would turn to the dark side while essentially still on the good side. Yoda once said: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate. Luke feared Ren so took a decision out of fear to strike him down, in anger of what his apprentice may become. In this case Ren subsequently turned too hate in the form of Luke, he felt betrayed, angry, and began to hate Luke. But where does the sequels fit into the larger saga.

The Big Protagonist in the sequels seems to be Rey. She must be important somehow. I feel she may well be linked to the Skywalker family somehow, it makes sense to me that the sequel trilogy would continue the skywalker saga. Episode IX could be the first Episodic film without a living Skywalker, which I believe is a nonsense. The current Episodic films are the story of the Skywalker family are they not?

4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Because it's a continuation of the series. That doesn't mean it can't leave the narrative arc of I-VI alone and start an arc of its own.
    Also, $$$ ;)

I don't want to steer this thread off topic, though, so for now, maybe we should just agree to disagree!

5. Matty20172018

Aug 20, 2017
    I get that, but does this therefore mean that Disney will go on to make a sequel trilogy (X-XII) to the sequel trilogy? The Lucas Saga, The Disney Saga?

6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    At this point, who knows? It's certainly possible!

7. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Also on this, is it likely that the boxset would be in 4K Bluray, Blu Ray, DVD format etc?

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm sure, but if the quality of I-VI isn't improved then there won't be a reason for me to get it personally.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    A 9 disc set is a guarantee. But indeed, the question is what reason is there to buy it if not just for a snazzy box or something?

I'd hope for at least some image/colour corrections in I-VI. AOTC's got a weird blue tint, ROTS has a bit of a green tint, and the OT has some partial colour correction artifact issues

If it's just the 2011 I-VI combined with the ST (which it likely will be), then I can't justify spending what'll probably be at least $120-$150 on it

DBPirate likes this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If it's a 4k set, then I'll probably get it. If it includes the OOT, then I'll absolutely get it. If it's a Blu-ray set with the 2011 versions of I-VI... I already have the complete saga collection with those, and I own VII and VIII separately, the same will hold true for IX. It would be a waste of money to buy another boxset for the sole sake of keeping all the discs in one package if it's already the same content as what I own.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Ditto. Content matters! :)
    ...though I assume that TFA will feature the JJ commentary from the 3D home release. I don't have that.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well since I have the actual saga of I-VI on BD several times over (along with the Fox Fanfare) then it have to be a real incentive to get again. (original BD 6 movie set, PT and OT repack sets, individual steelbooks).

So a 4K nine movie set would do it. Of course if they release individual trilogy 4K sets then I wouldn't have to bother unless the extras package was only on the 4K set.

If they have all-new " the making of" each movie of good length and high quality then I'd get that set. Now if they release 4K and extras in each set separately then the ST set is the last one to get and no hurry.

I even would have got TLJ's steelbook except they changed the images from one lone character to several so what was the point as it didn't match I-VI and TFA anymore?

That's another point. We know that the OT has got 4K restorations. So if they come out in that form then I'd also get the BD versions of those. The PT might also get new versions on BD from the 4K so in that case I'd get those. Any fresh remaster release is going to likely have it's own particular color changes.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Does Disney have the rights to distribute ANH yet? I assume they will when the Fox deal goes down, but I'm a little unclear on how it works at present.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They don't have the distribution rights for any of the movies as yet physically. That is through Fox. They do have TV and digital for all the other movies. They can distribute ANH but it has the Fox logo and fanfare which the other movies do not on digital or TV.

All the previous movies save ANH will revert to them around 2020. Fox retains ANH. If they end up buying the Fox assets then presumably they get those as well but if Comcast gets the Fox assets then presumably they will have those unless Disney then buys them.

It's not like Fox can block releases. I doubt they could and if they did it'd be some breach of contract with Lucasfilm when they gave ownership of ANH to Lucasfilm in return for long term distribution rights on the PT and TESB and ROTJ.