main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Complete AOTC Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by MJedi, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Shush, you. :p

2. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    hey, I just call it like it is :D

and :p back at you ;)

3. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "...do we need 2 threads to have people whine about how much they hated the edits?"

There can never be enough. :) Not that it matters, other than discussing them.

When the Ultimate Attack of the Clones score does come out I can?t imagine why it would be like the Phantom Menace ultimate edition, when there?s Menace score on the Episode II movie dub (!).

Not a very economical way of presenting and producing a soundtrack... I sincerely hope.

4. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    nevermind...it wasn't nice :D ;)

5. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Whether it makes a difference or not, here's the link to the AOTC Complete Score petition -

http://www.petitiononline.com/epIIcomp/petition.html

Besides, Sony Classical knows there is FAR too much money to be made on this that they will release it. I somehow doubt the end result will be any better than TPM UE though.

6. Malshabek

Malshabek Jedi Master star 6

Oct 10, 2002
    I hope they come out with an UE Ep. 2 soundtrack.
    I would love to hear the parts that were left out of the original soundtrack. I want to hear the unedited ending part where Dooku arrives on coruscant and meets Sidious. That was just hauntingly beautiful to me.

If worse came to worse I could just ignore the parts that sound to much like TPM. It would be well worth it for me. But maybe thats just me.

I signed the petition Dani1138. Spread the word about it.

7. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    grrrr, not the petition again???

that is just a petition to get "all JW music," regardless of whether it was in the films or not. That is like asking to have a version of the movie that entails the entire script, including scenes that were cut or never filmed....

if it didn't make it in the movie, it isn't star wars...

8. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    "If it didn't make it in the movie, it isn't Star Wars"

I'll pretend you didn't just say that.

I have a million EU books sitting on my shelf at home that disagree with that comment. I don't care what lucas says about the EU. I also know a million other fans that are willing to back me up on this.

9. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    <i>if it didn't make it in the movie, it isn't star wars...</i>

Um.. so I take it the inclusion of the music for the Vader/Luke communication scene at the start of ROTJ on the SE soundtrack didnt meet with your approval? What about all of the truly GREAT versions of Duel of the Fates that didnt make it into TPM (but eventuall made it onto the video games)?

You would really rather not have these? IMO, a soundtrack release is NEVER complete until it includes everything (or as much as possible) that was written for the films, just like RCA's SE's for the OT did.

10. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    Right on Dani1138 !!!!!

11. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    I am not talking about cues that weren't used in full. I am more referencing the cues that were written and recorded, but not used (eg. a padme theme for ep 1, etc.)

personally, I would prefer a UE edition similar to TPM, because this would not only give me the cues as used in the movie (imperative for theoretical analysis), and also lets me enjoy the music as it is.

If we get full cues, or concert suites as they are in most cases, that is great. I did like the suplimental tracks in the SE. But not if you are using that as a replacement for what is found in the movie. That is like saying that the info in your EU books is more true to the story than what is seen in the movies (a la - I'm sorry, I guess Owen actually is ben's brother, and he lied to anakin in AOTC). Same concept.

12. Malshabek

Oct 10, 2002
    I see your point and I concur.
    I guess my bottom line is that I want to see a UE soundtrack released just because its Star Wars.
    If it has those two words in its title, whether it be a book, movie, soundtrack, etc...I'm already in love with it.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "I want to hear the unedited ending part where Dooku arrives on coruscant and meets Sidious. That was just hauntingly beautiful to me."

Er, isn't this on the AOTC soundtrack we already have?

14. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "...cues as used in the movie (imperative for theoretical analysis)..."

Can?t you do an theoretical analysis without an isolated score track?

If you can, why even bother? The arena battle is nothing more than a 40-something mishmash of cues from the Phantom Menace. It has no hypothetical value at all, just synchronized music dubbed by the movies sound engineer.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Er, isn't this on the AOTC soundtrack we already have?

No, it isn't. At least, there's no Emperor's Theme in the version I have...

The dark side of the force has clouded your vision -- er -- hearing, my friend.

:p

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Then perhaps we're thinking of different parts. I thought he/she was referring to the solo female vocalist thingy. My bad.

17. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I agree, the 8 minutes from TPM might be a little much, but I wouldn't complain about buying it again if they added all the stuff that was cut onto the UE version of the soundtrack.

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yes, Sithy, that solo is part of it. I assume the request was for the entire track from the "Welcome home, Lord Tyranus" bit, where the Emperor's Theme plays just as Tyranus and his ship enter the hanger to meet Sidious, then we get the solo.

:)

19. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Or how about the appearance the Emperor's Theme makes during the confession scene in the Lars garage?? :cool:

Actually all the music from the point when Padme comes in with lunch is not yet available on CD. Hopefully it will.

20. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    Can?t you do an theoretical analysis without an isolated score track?

I can, but it is such a pain in the rear!

The first thing that I have to do is get an orchestration (for the parts I am going to look in depth into) that is identical to that used in the movie itself. Usually, this in not released (only cheap concert versions for high school bands). So, I begin the process of sitting down with my DVD player, listening and scoreing, going back and forth....

now, if you have the exact music from the movie on CD, then it is much easier to sit in a library with headphones, and be able to back up the CD (which is much easier than the DVD and is a more ideal set-up for working). Thus, when they had the UE for TPM, I loved it! If I go for my DMA or PHD in Music (undecided at this point), I will probably be doing part of my Doctoral Thesis on Star Wars...not only in analysis, but it's impact on other works, the concept of backwards leitmotif work (i.e. knowing where the themes are going to end up and having to create starting points). Anyway, another UE would simplify my life a great deal more.

Besides, I like the final edits better what could have been in most cases. I usually see the untouched cues as source material (like clippings for a collage), and the movie as finished product.

21. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    About the Clones Ultimate soundtrack... Legally, I?m quite sure they can?t put all those Menace cues in the ultimate soundtrack, because there from The Phantom Menace. I don?t see this happening.

"Besides, I like the final edits better what could have been in most cases. I usually see the untouched cues as source material (like clippings for a collage), and the movie as finished product."

What final edit? The theatrical final edit or the DVD final edit? or what about the alleged final edit for the archive version of the saga? There?s never a final version with Star Wars.

Moreover, using the films intact cues like clippings for a collage may be a controlled and effective way to manipulate emotion but that?s just what it is: manipulation.

It?s the well-oiled machine of movie music. No craft, no elegance, just a jarred presentation of the films invisible character.

22. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    "Besides, I like the final edits better what could have been in most cases. I usually see the untouched cues as source material (like clippings for a collage), and the movie as finished product."

"What final edit? The theatrical final edit or the DVD final edit? or what about the alleged final edit for the archive version of the saga? There?s never a final version with Star Wars."

Lmao, I agree with that one... especially when it comes down to cues that were shortened or tracked in Empire and then restored to their full length in the SE (I think the cues were "The Magic Tree", "Yoda and the Force" and "Departure of Boba Fett").

My point is, which version could be considered more valid - the original theatrical cut that edited those cues, or the rereleased SE that restored them to what JW originally intended?

You Could also say the same for the cues from Jedi that were tracked into the ANH SE Jabba scene. What is final?

23. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    when it comes to analysis, it doesn't matter unless they change what existed (ie the garage music added for the DVD doesn't matter from an analytical POV, unless you want to point to something in the new music).

If something was changed, I consider it timeline...in other words, there is no Original version vs. Special Edition.... when one references Star Wars, the SE takes precidence. If you study Opera, you will find that this happens a great deal. Typically, unless the cause of the change had to do with the performer (ie, the composer wants to show off thier voice so write a new aria), the later version is considered "the correct" one.

but, this is just nitpicking. The real issue is the idea of "manipulation." Well, if the cues were unchanged, you are still dealing with emotional manipulation. That is what film score is! It is music which (if it is good) adds a subtext to the storyline, while creating an atmosphere which aides in bringing the audience into the moment. Just because the music is edited doesn't mean that it is any more or less emotional manipulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.