main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Complete list

Discussion in 'Literature' started by proudhug, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proudhug

proudhug Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2004
    Is there a list available of all the SW story material (movies, books, comics, cartoons, video games, etc.) arranged in approximate chronological release date order? I'm hoping to read/watch everything in the order that it originally became available.

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    2 things:

1. I hope you have a couple of years and some friends, because that's how long it will take to go through everything.

2. Go to timetales (plot summaries and order for everything out there.) It's a link at the top of the page.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Try the Timeline and Timetales links at the top of your sreen.

4. proudhug

proudhug Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2004
    Yes, I realize this will take several years to do. But most (all?) of the novels are still in print, so it won't be too difficult. What do you mean "some friends"?

I've been reading the Timetales updates for years and have seen several "complete" lists of books, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever put the list in order of release date. It doesn't appear so. I've started doing it myself in the past, but just want to know if such a list exists before I put forth all the effort.

5. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    When I say, "some friends," I mean it *might* go faster and be cheaper if you can split costs (and book hunting time) with someone, and they might warn you off some of the more abysmal stuff, e.g. Crystal Star, Planet of Twilight, Dark Journey.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Try the Timeline and Timetales links at the top of your sreen.

Those are "in universe" chronological, but he wanted release date.

For a list of novels up to the middle of the NJO, go the the "Expanded Universe Index & FAQ" link above. On the FAQ page there is a list of the novels by order of release date.

As for the comics, it will be a lot more difficult. Since they are mostly mini-series, you may just want to do one year at a time according the original date of printing or copyright for the first issue. The general order is:

1) Marvel & Newspaper Strips

Both were mostly reprinted under the "Classic Star Wars" banner by Dark Horse. They range from roughly 1978-1985. In the "Classic Star Wars: A Long Time Ago..." set of 7 TPBs by Dark Horse, the entire Marvel run is reprinted in order of release. Ewoks and Droids comics have yet to be reprinted.

2) Star Wars 3-D #1-3 Blackthorne (around 1987)

3) Dark Horse pre-Episode I (about 1990 to 1999)

Nearly all mini-series by Dark Horse were printed in this time frame. The only one ongoing series in this time period was Star Wars: X-Wing.

4) Dark Horse post-Episode I (1999 onwards)

After Episode I, most Dark Horse comics have been in the ongoing series:

Star Wars (later retitled Star Wars: Republic)
    Star Wars: Empire
    Star Wars Tales
    Star Wars: Jedi

There are few mini-series in this time period, but most stuff was printed in the 4 series listed above.

As for the games, making a list in order should not be too difficult, but finding many of them will be for obselete consoles like NES and SNES.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    With so of the release dates being listed, you may have a problem reading things in order of when they were originally released. There were YJK books out around '95 but from some of the things I've heard on here, the release date appearing for them on various places like Amazon appears to actually be a rerelease date. I've had trouble looking up the original release date of some of the more recent books which were originally released as hardcovers cause the dates I keep getting are actually the dates when the paperbacks of those hardcovers were released.

8. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Actually, the ongoing series that is now titled "Republic" began pre-TPM, in 1998. It was the "preview" of certain TPM characters and elements (notably Ki-Adi-Mundi).

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    With so of the release dates being listed, you may have a problem reading things in order of when they were originally released. There were YJK books out around '95 but from some of the things I've heard on here, the release date appearing for them on various places like Amazon appears to actually be a rerelease date. I've had trouble looking up the original release date of some of the more recent books which were originally released as hardcovers cause the dates I keep getting are actually the dates when the paperbacks of those hardcovers were released.

The original copyright dates and dates for first printing probably still appear inside the books though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.