main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Complete New Canon Checklist (Adult - English)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UnshavenWookie14, Dec 29, 2017.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    When I first dove into the new canon it was a bit overwhelming so I developed this to help me keep track. Initially it contained every piece of content that was released but that quickly became tiresome to keep up to date (not to mention it included many things I wouldn't ever read). So after a few months of filtering things out I was left with what I consider the Complete Adult (English) Star Wars Checklist. It includes all novels, comics, short stories, TV shows, and of course the Films. Basically if the Wiki considered it adult, then its on here. An example being the Ahsoka novel. Technically it is a Young Adult Novel, but since most adult readers include it in their reading, it is also on the checklist. My copy had interactive check boxes on the left column that when clicked made the text red and added a strike through for that entry. For some reason it would not transfer to the google docs version. But feel free to leave any feedback.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tPmwVrMmoJOrkW6QSi-pgv0pmSSlC/pub?output=xlsx

Things Included:
    • Marvel Comics
    • Star Wars Adventures Comics
    • Short Stories
    • Del Rey Novels
    • Lucas Film Novels (that the Wiki Listed as Novels)
    • Clone Wars and Rebels TV Episodes
    • Forces of Destiny Youtube Series
    • All Star Wars Films

A few things that were left out:

• Video Games
    • Webcomics not translated to English
    • German Star Wars mag comics w/o translation (English translation before cancellation are included)
    • Things listed as propaganda on the wiki
    • Entries the Wiki listed as YR, or JN (not including Ashoka, Lost Stars, Leia Princess of Alderaan, etc)

A Few Final Notes:
    • The last column is a 'notes section'. There are some useful bits there, like which short stories are in which novel, or what Star Wars Adventure entry a comic was released with.
    • For the most part everything is chronological. However everything is always shifting so don't get to picky. Many things we still don't know where the exact placement is
    • Canto Bight and From a Certain Point of View are listed by short story instead of single entries, but each entry is noted as being part of the larger collected work.
    • Many of the entries have links to the accompanying wiki page for that piece of material that can be accessed by simply clicking the title. Not all though. I have to do the updates manually and the links are typically the last things updated since they serve as more of a luxury.
    • The boxes should be color coordinated (light blue: ss, dark blue: novel, light green: TV show, green: film, purple: comic, red: not yet released).
    • Red entries have not come out yet. I usually remove the red for months as a whole. like I remove all of december at once, rather than scrolling through to check every few days.
    • If you really want EVERYTHING (the video games, propaganda, junior readers, etc.) then the arrows between the rows should be clickable to unhide a lot of that material. It should be up to date as of a few months ago. But again, that was the material I decided I probably wouldn't access, and therefore won't be kept up to date.

My final note is that I don't take credit for any of the information. It was thanks to the wiki that I have the list at all. I simply desired an interactive checklist that helped shovel through the massive amount information, and tried to put it in a format that allowed me to do so.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Brilliant. Thanks!

Any chance of putting as a sharable Google doc spreadsheet, so as you update it, others can have the update (but not be able to edit)?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah I’m gonna play with it some more. It’s taken a minute just to get it web ready though, so I just wanted to get it up an available for the time being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stymi likes this.
  4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Cool but I think Nathan Butler beat you to this

5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I feel like this would be very helpful for those who are just getting into the new canon, shame that we don't have the exact placement for a good chunk of the stories though.

6. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    That’s why I initially made it. When I decided to jump into New Canon about 6 months ago it was like an overload of information. This was just helpful for me to mentally catalog things is a I read deeper into the material.

Even though exact placements aren’t known for a chunk of the info, the wiki is usually pretty accurate with its placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It isn't really necessary to have video games yet (as the only video game so far that's told an actual story has been BFII), but it might be more important down the line as we get more story-driven games set in the new canon.

8. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Good point. That will be something to keep an eye on. My initial goal for the list was primarily to filter out a lot of the noise that most adults won't ever read. Like the little gold spine childrens picture books were included on the wiki list. I consider myself a 'completionist' in a lot of ways, but even I wouldn't bother trying to read stuff like that. Plus many of those entries are just the adult stories watered down for younger age groups. I even considered eliminating all redundancies for a short while. For instance, for each film theres also a graphic novel, six individual comic entries, and a novel (at the least). Ultimately kept them in because some people have said those entries sometimes provide additional info.

9. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Nathan Butler's works far out reach anything I could compile haha. While I have a great appreciation for his productions, the latest version consists of 561 pages and can appear overwhelming for someone new to canon. Or even a seasoned canon reader who simply wants to get a chronological sanpshot of a certain time span. I just wanted to be able to check things off as I went. I found plenty of timeline posts around the web when I first looked, but none that were interactive. And the few that allowed me to save the document/check off entries only came in PDF form. so they quickly became out dated and in need of a fresh version. My goal when I made the checklist was to create a timeline checklist that I could interact with, without having to make a new version every month or so. I'm frustrated the check boxes wouldn't transfer, but I still wanted to post it for anyone who might find use of it.

10. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Very clear and informative. It's good to be able to see the placements of the comics in relation to the novels. Thanks for sharing.

11. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    thanks this will be very helpul

12. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Try clicking the link in my signature and see if it takes you to what you were talking about. Having trouble figuring out how to make it available to the public without allowing editing to the original. Trying to avoid someone tinkering with it and jumbling it all up for me to unscramble. Id still like it to be downloadable though.

If anyone is familiar with sharing google sheets let me know. Essentially I want it to provide each viewers with their own copy that updates according to the original. Anyone willing to help shoot me a message and hopefully I can find the best setup