Complete SW Saga compilation

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Nub, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I can appreciate that. However, I feel that edits just rarely sound any good. That moment in Jurassic Park is fine when hidden among the sound effects and such, but I would think it sounds really awkward and abrupt when listened to alone. Another problem with that moment in Jurassic Park, I think, is that the music is taken straight from "Journey to the Island" (or the end credits music), and if the viewer remembers it from earlier in the film (a scene with a completely different tone), it will be jarring on another level. I also feel that it's disrespectful to the composer to put such material on a CD. If the director wants to chop music apart, fine; it's his film, but can't the CD release preserve the composer's intent? I know I'd be pissed if somebody did that to my music and put it out there as if I had composed it that way. Also... I think editing is a budget solution that's a poor substitute for asking the composer to rewrite a cue. New writing can produce wonderful results. Take "Binary Sunset" from Star Wars. Wouldn't it be too bad if Lucas had just pieced together some inspiring statements of Ben's theme from other parts of the score instead of asking Williams to write the now classic cue for that scene?

By the way, I hope you didn't pay anything for that "special edition" set. It's only a bootleg based on DVD rips of the film.

Yes, of course. The prequel music is just hacked to bits. It amazes me. I've actually lined up a few film edits with original recordings and found that there is no difference in length, and all the "hits" are there - meaning there was no reason whatsoever to make changes to the music.
  2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In deference to TOS I won't answer one way or another on the issue of how I obtained that set.

All I can say is that I do prefer the T-Rex rescue with the JP fanfare, as both an in-film and listening experience, to the original cue. If it were music from a smaller scene I might prefer the original recording, but when I'm listening to the music from the climax to a movie I've seen dozens of times I have to hear the fanfare or else I get listening blue-balls.
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9

Random question-what's the name of that 3-disc SE for Jurassic Park you mentioned? I really miss hearing the JP fanfare when the Rex saves the day myself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.