main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Complete Vehicles Rerelease: Lets dissect the Home One and Medical Frigate amongst other new stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Jul 30, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    AdmiralWesJanson

For what it is worth, my ideal retcon would of been to simply ignore the "twice the size" comment and simply make the Viscount-class 17km and the Mediator-class 1500-2000m in length. That way we got a massive Viscount that pairs with Luceno's vision AND kept the Mediator-class that Luceno & RA Salvatore both described and used as upgraded version of the standard MC-series.

Tzizvvt78

No arguments from me. The only point about movie scale that I am fond of using is the screwed up scale of the Neb-B & corvette in that one scence. Essentially, that the movies are not perfect on scaling in every scene. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Forest Moon's size relative to the DS2 springs to mind.

According to Saxton, the size ratio is 11.2 to 1.

In some scenes, yes. In many others, the size ratio looks more like 30 to 1 or more.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's true. Which also leads to us falling back on cinematography, basically, the study of what filmmakers want to portray. Sometimes this involves making something look big for the sake of impressing the audience, i.e. the Death Stars and the Executor (compared to the Star Destroyer from the first film, which was also portrayed this way). My argument is that these three examples had written lengths to back that up in lore and the Home One should, too, because it follows the same kind of imposing establishing shots like these other three vessels. It's the ship other, lesser vessels gather around.

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am just bummed that no one else was as excited as I was about the reveal of the weapons blisters. Now I want to study the Home One model and start guessing where all the quad barrel heavy turbolasers are mounted.:( :-B

--Adm. Nick

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I just want to know where the shuttles are. That's pretty cool. :cool:

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Which they lost before the Battle of Yavin :)

Which they only had for the New Republic fleet. :)

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Death Star had one destroyed. One of several, the book points out the Rebels had. So, source?

Star Wars: Rebellion would disagree. Source for the contrary? And don't say EGTW, the book never says when the class was started, only when it was mass-produced.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Deduction from the EGW, as Mothma planed to build her fleet around the Lucrehulk Fortessa and an old Sepi Cruiser, and no mention is made of another Lucrehulk to fill the role instead, so there seem to just not be any other ones left.

Actually it did not, as the game clearly crosses into an Post Yavin scenario of the GCW that did not happen as such.

It is said to have been build for the New Republic (page 207) so not really any way for it to be around earlier, also what gives you the idea they ever got mass produced?

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Agreed. At least now with the Home One shuttle addition (The ICS does like adding mini-ships, the Lambda picked up a cockpit escape pod as well in ICS) we can call the 3KM "prototype" a reference to the "shuttle" on Viscount.

The Viscount being much more massive than an Executor-class actually could be explained away by a few things- Home One schematic show a lot of internal space taken up by a central atrium and a lot of life support systems to cater to different species. That plus the typical Mon Cal redundancy would take a lot of space up.
    Also, the NR probably decided to add more features to the Viscount than just enough to make it a dreadnought/carrier. As a "ship of peace" it is likely designed to carry massive amounts of supplies or carry survivors/refugees. Mon Cal ships are rather frequently pressed into service as freighters/evacuation ships after all (HttE, Dark Empire, Corellian Trilogy, Legacy) so why not build those features in from the start? And a 3km "shuttle" would help immensely for loading/offloading.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I think the shuttles were basically on top of the ship. I think the bridge was actually part of one of the detachable sections, fitting in with the description as a possible escape vessel. Not entirely sure as I don't have a copy on hand but I think that was it. So one large shuttle at the back of the ship, with a secondary shuttle closer to the front-top half of the ship.

I just like that its a bit of new info on an old ship class.

Seeing turbolaser batteries concealed in weapons blisters is also pretty cool although I don't think any of the text touches on it unfortunately. Even the Warfare guide didn't mention it much (which is why seeing weapons blisters on the Home One cross-section is so cool). Kind of makes you wonder just how many other weapons could be concealed on a Mon Cal vessel.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Well, Home One has 36 Quad turbolasers, so equivalent of 18 Octet guns. Roughly outgunning a pair of ISD IIs, not counting the Ion cannons.
    IIRC, the weapons blister is 5 quad gun turrets, so we can maybe guess say 6 large blisters with 5 guns, and the other 6 guns either as singletons, or a few pair or trios. Probably as singles in the nose.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not according to the copy of the game I have, no. Nor has any Bulwark-IIIs appeared in the Rebellion Era; certainly the appearance in an open-ended video game gives the idea that the Alliance had the potential to build or acquire them, but is as canon as capturing Palpatine on Yavin or using a Death Star to blow up Hoth. Their EGW appearance is strictly NR. Personally, I think there were Mark IIs around in the RE (which again, have never been statted) but that's pure fan theory on my part.

You mean the one that's the same size as the MC40? Funny how that worked out.

13. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    I'll do some calculations on the size of Home One later on (the ones I did for Invincible compared to the Stealth Ship were close; so whatever I did there was right anyway :p).

14. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Did it.

I get around 1,600 meters for Home One if a Corellian Corvette is 150 meters.

Scene is when you first see the Rebel fleet in RotJ. The Corvette directly above Home one is about 135 pixels long; Home One to the hangar from the bow is about 1275 pixels long; the extra length missing is easy to calculate with a side view of the model -- it's 1511 or so pixels long overall.

Hence, around 1,600 meters by that scene, with a small fudge factor due to the Corvette being not entirely along its center-line and the angle of the side model I used to get the rest of the length of Home One not being in the same angle of ascent.

1,300 meters could fit.

E: though, 1,500 would have been better, and IIRC, that was the size and scale of the models they used for filming.

15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    How about now: [​IMG]

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, we know from the Fact File image that Home One has four forward turbolasers, so I think it is a good guess that those guns are single mounts arranged in the front blisters.

--Adm. Nick

17. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    It's around 1,000 meters in that picture if you say the Corvette is about 150 meters long (this is including the entire length of Home One, i.e., the stern that's out of frame). If they were side on to the camera, 1,100-1,200 meters.

18. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    If we take this picture as a true representation of Home One the hangar-gate at the centre would have to be high enough to let a Lamda-shuttle pass through, so it is at least 24 - 30 meters high, what gives us a corresponding length of 2,520 or 3,150 meters. Even if we take a height for the hangar-gate of only twenty meters we would still get a more than 2,000 meter long vessel.

If HomeOne were 1,300 meters long, it would be ~285 meters wide and ~138 meters high, so it could be big enough to contain three - four, perhaps even five reactors like pearls on a cord with a diameter of hundred meters each (the main reactor of an ISD is ~140 meter in diameter (without armour)), so even the small HomeOne could have fifty percent more combined reactor-output than the ISD. It would also fit with what we know about MCs perference towards redundant systems and what we know about what unmodified Providence-class ships - which were designed by the Quarren - are supposed to be like.

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    ? I got twice of that, since the side of the Home One is much longer than the part seen in this image (Behind the Magic side-view, flipped).

20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    That is where I got the idea. And whoever did that picture must have edited it with MS Paint. :rolleyes:
    Huh, 29 batteries of 5 guns each is only one gun different than 36 batteries of 4 guns each- 145 vs 144.

Actually, all 6 single mounts may be on the nose- the art shows 4 shots, but three guns are coming from mounts on the starboard side, with one on the port side. Due to the angle, there could be another one or two shots from the port side that are overlapped by closer beams.

Good point scaling to that image, as it is perhaps the only fully orthographic image of the Home One model.
    The Cross section seems to have the hyperdrive as a rough sphere filling the stern "bubble" with an interface to a slightly larger reactor assembly. Geometry and the location of the Atrium in the cross section would indicate there is only room to fit at most 2-3 similar sized reactors in the space between the hyperdrive and central atrium.

21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Anything corresponding to this lazy cg mess?

[​IMG]

22. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    That's the source for the 4(+) forward guns that may account for any leftovers from weapon blisters.

23. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Found a photo of the HO page. Looking good.

[​IMG]

24. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    The picture shows about 3/4s of its entire length when using this:
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/sw2ij/mc1sw2ij.jpg

Transpose the 150 meter Corvette over its length in the picture above (the one from a game), and you get around 1 kilometer. The Corvette seems to be parallel to it too, so it's fairly simple. You get about 9 or so Corvettes.

It falls within the 1,300 meters of the book. The same with the 1,600 one I made above. I'd peg it at 1,400-1,800. But 1,300 is close enough.

It's nowhere near 3 kilometers long; and it's under 2.

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    But, that's not a side-view, though.