main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Completely OT

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MacGyver635, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    Ok, if a lightsaber doesnt generate heat, like it says on star wars.com, then how come Darth Vaders saber has cooling fins?!?!?!

2. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Maybe the cooling fins are for the stuff in the handle, not for the blade.

ACK! Geek alert! Geek alert!

Anyway...

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Because they look cool. Looks are everything. VADER KNOWS HOW TO ACCESSORIZE!!!

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    What cooling fins? I have a replica of that lightsaber, I've never seen any cooling fins on it. Are you referring to the grips?

5. MacGyver635

Nov 8, 2002
    i heard the grips are infact cooling fins. I am not a geek. Now if youll excuse me, i have to go polish my millenium falcon.

PS. anyone going to the uber-nerd star TREK convention?

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    There's a Star Trek Convention? WHERE?!?!?!?
    (puts on his pointed ears)

7. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Geek alert?

How much time did you spend filming someone with a double-bladed lightsaber wearing a paint-ball mask on a blue screen Rive? :p

8. MacGyver635

Nov 8, 2002
    Pixel, i know of them in San Diego or LA. Im not sure where youre at though. Look around. As the people on these boards say

"check google"

9. MacGyver635

Nov 8, 2002
    Yeah, Dave. What do you have to say about that. Im not the one who:

1.pranced around in Swimming goggles with face paint on

2.swung around a broomstick for a couple days

3.had my mother sew me and my friends costumes

:p
    Im just kidding. I love Duality.

10. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    By Geek Alert, I was referring to me, and my ridiculous attempt to explain a nonexistent technology...

11. MacGyver635

Nov 8, 2002
    "well then, im sorry old friend"

i was just kidding about all that stuff.

Doing all that stuff is what you have to do to make something as cool as Duality!

12. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Pixel, theres a big trek convention in pasadena coming up. I live too far to go, but my friend who lives in bakersfield is going. I envy him

13. Shoveler

Shoveler Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Um...since when don't lightsabers generate heat? In TPM Qui Gon Jinn 'melted,' heat is required to melt things, the big round door on the Trade Federation ship. So I think somebody saying they DON'T generate heat is just one big contradiction. Or in my opinion old Lucas is getting senile in his old age, just look at the rest of that disaster of a movie. All in my humble opinion of course :D

Shoveler

14. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Shovler, lightsabers are not hot. The way Qui-Gon melted the door was the same way that a microwave heats food. It's called induction.

Also, the "cooling fins" on Vaders lightsaber are non canon. It's my personal opinion but I've gotten very tired of non-canon sources being taken as gospel. Remember, if it doesn't say it in the movies, the screen plays, the novelizations of the movies, or the official website (excluding those parts listed under EU), then it's not real.

15. Shoveler

Shoveler Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Sorry Voija, I guess I stand corrected. :)Would you mind explaining induction, seriously I'm not being a smartass dude.

Shoveler

16. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    My guess would be the cooling fins are to keep the mechanisms inside the hilt from overheating, much like vents on a computer or video game console.

17. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Well, that's all EU stuff, and I don't really get into that as fact.

We know that the blades generate heat, as shown by the Trade Federation door, the Tusken hut in AOTC, and the fact that it cauterizes any wounds inflicted with it. But there's no indication that the lightsaber itself, the hilt, generates any heat. I've been into lightsabers for quite a while, and I own many replicas of lightsabers, and I've never heard of the grips being referred to as cooling fins. If they were, wouldn't that make it even worse for the wielder? Would those fins not absorb the heat from the hilt, thus making those grips incredibly hot? How would you hold the thing if all the saber's heat was stored in those little grips?

Besides, they're rubber.

18. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Haha, oops.

Sorry Rive.

19. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    ok ok....

the fins are just there...because it looks good.

Move along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.