main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Composers

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by 1stChairClarinet, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stChairClarinet

1stChairClarinet Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    What are some of your other fav. composers, besides John Williams? I like James Horner for his work on Search for Spock and Wrath of Khan, Danny Elfman for men in black and jerry goldsmith for Star Trek TMM

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    James Newton Howard is my favorite composer right now after Williams.

Other favorites of mine are Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, Elliot Goldenthal, and James Horner.

3. 1stChairClarinet

Nov 9, 2003
    Search for Spock: Stealing the Enterprise and Wrath of Khan: Battle in the Mutara Nebulae are the most powerful pieces by James Horner, I just love the Enterprise's theme, the one in the horn section

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    James Horner is fun. Big fan of Basil Poledouris. Brian Tyler looks like he'll be really good a couple years down the line. Wocjiech Kilar and Patrick Doyle are both outstanding. Bernard Herrman, Alex North, Miklos Rozsa, Erich Korngold, Franz Waxman.

5. 1stChairClarinet

Nov 9, 2003
    John Debney is the most underated composer on this planet. HE IS THE BEST. He did Disney's "Inspector Gadget"!!!

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Alan Silvestri's also quite good and getting better.

John Debney is underknown but very mixed. Cutthroat Island, White Fang II, both very very good, but he's put out a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

7. 1stChairClarinet

Nov 9, 2003
    have u noticed that in the OT the percussion of the score sounds like it's five miles away from the rest of the orchestra, more in ESB and ROTJ most notably in Asteroid Field, IM, and Ewok Parade, and Into the Trap

8. HanyBezem

HanyBezem Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Hmmmm. Handel or Beethoven. I love Classics!!

9. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    My favorite composer is Tchaikovsky. I have liked his music since I was very young. The Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Symphonies Nos. 4 and 6, and his Capricco Italien are wonderful, Romantic works.

Bela Bartok is my philosophical favorite composer. He travelled eastern Europe collecting folksongs on a recordable phonograph, and he based many works on the traditional music, in addition to his own talent. I like his The Miraculous Mandarin, Concerto for Orchestra, Romanian Dances, and Piano Concierto No. 3.

I also enjoy several other composers such as Scott Joplin, Akira Ikukube, Maurice Ravel, Arnold Schoenberg, Aram Khachaturian, Henryk Gorecki, Franz Schubert, Sergei Rachmaniov, and Sergei Prokofiev.

10. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    James Newton Howard, Jerry Goldsmith, early James Horner (STII, Aliens, Rocketeer, etc.), Basil Pouledouris (sp?), Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, Bruce Broughton.

For TV, Christopher Franke (B5), Dennis McCarthy, Ron Jones (STTNG Best of Both Worlds).

Classical- Gustav Holst, Carl Orff, Beethoven, Ottorino Respighi.

11. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    John Debney did NOT improve his musical standing with "Heartbreakers".
    Can anyone say "American Beauty"?

And Thomas Newman did a slack-off of AB with "Erin Brockovich" the following year...

12. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Early Horner (STII & III, Aliens, Rocketeer), James Newton Howard, Goldsmith, Poledouris (sp?), Silvestri, David Arnold (Stargate, ID4), Howard Shore (LotR trilogy), Trevor Jones (Dark Crystal), Bruce Broughton (Young Sherlock Holmes), Elfman

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    My favorite composer is Tchaikovsky

Amen. Out of the classical composers, his carries the most emotion. I've personally been more of a fan of movie scores because they carry emotion and you can feel what is happening through the music. Much classical music sounds beautiful, but doesn't have any emotion (for the most part). Tchaikovsky, however, is just...wow. I've actually started writing an epic novel inspired by the 1812 Overture. His music is inspiring, epic, romantic, heroic, militaristic, it's everything.

14. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    Some of my favorite composers are:

Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings)
    James Horner (Braveheart)
    Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Hannibal)
    Danny Elfman (Batman, Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow)
    Basil Poledouris (Conan the Barbarian)
    Jerry Goldsmith (Alien)
    Vangelis (1492, Blade Runner)
    Carl Orff (Carmina Burana)
    Richard Wagner (Goetterdaemmerung)

BTW, does anyone know who composed the music for Pirates of the Caribbean? That was an amazing score!

15. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Humm...

Well, Basil is cool, Thomas Newman (I think...Finding Nemo score. Love the main theme) Tchaikovsky, Gustav Holst, Thomas Arne, Bach, Alan Silvestri, and strangely enough, Nobuo Uematsu.

16. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Klaus Badelt did the Pirates score, and yes, it is pretty amazing. :D

Despite the fact that the track titles are hideously mislabeled. :mad:

17. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I love James Newton Howard and John Williams, but Howard Shore is probably my favorite. I think his LotR stuff is genius, and fits the movies perfectly.

18. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    Klaus Badelt did the Pirates score

Ah! So that's the guy. Thank you! :)

19. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    Amen. Out of the classical composers, his carries the most emotion. I've personally been more of a fan of movie scores because they carry emotion and you can feel what is happening through the music.

That's why Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer. Johannes Brahms said that his music was shallow and self-indulgent. Bah! Music is supposed to be emotion, story, and sound! Brahms, brilliant as he was, probably didn't want to admit Tchaikovsky's talent.

20. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Thank you, charben! Bruce Broughton is definitely under rated. "Young Sherlock Holmes" is five-star excellence, but even his Disney scores are very good! "The Rescuers Down Under," "Honey, I Blew Up the Kid," and "Homeward Bound" all are very good scores and have memorable themes.

Also, Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future 1,2,3; Dutch; Who Framed Roger Rabbit), Danny Elfman (Batman, Edward Scissorhands), Randy Edelman (Dragonheart and other under rated, more obscure scores such as "Angels in the Outfield"), David Newman (The Sandlot; Galaxy Quest) Randy Newman (Toy Story 1,2; A Bug's Life), Elmer Bernstein (To Kill a Mockingbird; The Ten Commandments; The Great Escape), James Horner (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids [you got a problem widdat?!]; Star Trek II,III; The Rocketeer; Apollo 13).

My favorite classical composer right now is definitely Leroy Anderson. Excellent stuff: Belle of the Ball, The Typewriter, Sleigh Ride, Trumpeter's Lullaby...

21. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I still love John Barry's score for THe Black Hole.

Goldsmith has done so much, Good, Great, and mediocre...

I would love to see someone use Phil Coulter in a fanfilm!

22. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, Howard Shore obviously, and a few others...

But for classical: Vivaldi. I absolutely love his stuff, especially the concertos for multiple instruments. Usually there seems to be so much different stuff going on, but it fits together just so perfectly. Amazing. La laa!

23. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Danny Elfman and Don Davis; genius men.

24. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    AARON COPLAND! One of the BEST composers EVER!

James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, Thomans Howard, Lee Holdridge, the late Michael Kamen...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.