main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***COMPOSITING*** Questions, problems, and fixes welcome!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    That looks great! :D Now how many more of these shots are there? You didn't go handheld like I did, did you? :p

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Good looking stuff Alex - can't wait to see more. :D

S1thPunk - please do not post several times in a row. Be patient and wait for an answer or use the edit button if you must. :)

3. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey DV, do you think you could add GIMP GAP to your list of programs, with a link to that tutorial? I would appreciate it and cheap people may to.

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Will do. :)

5. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    Thanks alot:)

6. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
  7. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    Okay, this video is mainly focused on lightsaber effects, but i did replace the sky with a cloudy storm, and put a day for night filter on it with gimp. Plz tell me what you think.
    (sry 'bout the file size, but my camera is so bad that i was afraid you wouldn't be able to tell what was going on if i compressed it any more.)

For special effects, i used gimp, and for audio and compression, Ulead videostudio 6.

el clicko

Yeah yeah, i know i did a bad job, but hey, i didn't have a greenscreen, just a white sky. And i am also new at this. But i still want to know what you think.

8. BeneficentAndro

BeneficentAndro Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2006
    stuff
    http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1626/landingsith1rm.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4125/finalconcept5vq.jpg

9. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    It's YOU again! Waaah!

I thought you were banned?

As for those shots...it just looks like copy/pasting to me. The lightsources don't even remotely match, and neither does the exposure or anything along those lines. So...

10. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    OK. Now I'm gonna put it in here.

click

11. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Sith Eye-test

[image=http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3639/sitheyeneu3mw.jpg]
    Not too happy with the red part here, but I guess I will never work on a clip that features such great eyes, so the effect won't ever need to be so large and detailled..

---

New one

[image=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2037/sitheyenew1up.jpg]
    I guess this is an improved version. It's much stronger and stuff.

12. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I prefer the first one, actually. Looks more natural.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Now go try it with a video ;)

14. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm currently gathering 3D-experience and will try this one day for sure. ;)

15. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Here´s a small snippet from my current fan film project Invasion II.
    I guess it fits here best. Original shot was a hand held and the final shot is a work of tracking, sky replacement, added water reflection, a CGI bridge extension, CGI smoke, bombing flashes and some stabilization of the whole shot:

[image=http://www.hethfilms.de/misc/compare_bridge.jpg]

AVI, Divx, 1,2 MB

16. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Great work.

17. Jon

Jon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    That is fantastic.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Man that's impressive.
    Actually that's more than impressive.

However, the lightning (or distant bombs) needs a bit of work. The flash effect of the lightning should extend out beyond the very distance. It looks like a 2d element composited behind the footage. If you watch it in slow motion (picky I know) you'll notice that it dosn't looke right. Have the light wrap around the objects.

19. HTS_HetH

Jun 9, 2002
    Thanks a lot folks. Actually, I´m pretty sure I used a lot of lightwrap for the bombing flashes in the background to make them blend with the environment, but maybe not enough, I have a look at it, when I touch this scene up again. Funny thing about that shot is that evrything is 2D. I tried and failed to get a decent 3D motion track with Icarus and in the end I just tried it with AE and it worked great. Even the destroyed bridge is only a single rendered frame with alpha channel. Luckily enough this is the only thart complex shot in the sequence, all the other shots a directed somewhat away from the real action. Compositing this shot was a real nightmare and took me two days, but I´m glad it turned out okay. The fact you guys like it shows me that I´m on the right track, thanks for that :)

20. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Can you share a bit of infor about the actual project this shot was for?
    I can't read German so your website isn't of any help to me :(
    Feel free to PM me instead of diverting this thread off topic.

Where did you get those smoke elements from?

21. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    HTS, that's freakin' awesome! That's all I can say :D

Now these kinds of posts lately are getting on my nerves a bit. Why do people insist on posting something, asking for us to critique it, but at the same time saying "I know it's bad?" Why post excuses along with it? Why act like this particular clip isn't of importance, and you can really do better? What does anyone gain out of it? Take your time, plan out your shot, do the best damn job you can, then come here and post something your proud of. THAT is how you will improve. As for the shot in question, it's really hard to critique something just barely bigger than our avatars. And BTW, a white sky is the best you can get for sky replacement (if you really understand what you're doing with alpha channels), no greenscreen required, sky sold seperately ;)

22. HTS_HetH

Jun 9, 2002
    Amen to that. I come across those kind of posts almost everyday in our German message boards. It seems that especially the younger people amongst the aspriring future film makers can´t wait for the "success" and try to throw out as much as soon as possible without ever really getting into this stuff. Seems to be a general problem, the lack of motivation to really put time , thoughts and effort into something before presenting it to the general audience. Especially here with compositing, I myself learn something new almost everyday I work on something. I´m doing this vfx stuff now since 2002 and still have the feeling I´m at the very beginning.

23. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    THe video looks fine when played at 200% size. That's how i always play it. Anyway, i still said i wanted to know what you thought.

24. R1ceBoi58

R1ceBoi58 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    [image=http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6628/anakin29fu.png]

25. danielhilsden

danielhilsden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2005
    Does this apply to stock footage from somewhere like Detfilms?

Daniel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.