main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Composition Test - fx test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BrentK7, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Hey all. Just finished this new composition. Just wanted to get your opinions. I am mostly looking for opinions on the motion tracking of the background, but any thoughts about any of it are welcome, except the saber, I rotoed it real quick just cause it didn't look right for him not to have one.

Anyway, please leave feedback.
    Composition Test 1 - D/L at bottom of this page

Thanks

2. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Looks okay. Make it 30fpsso we can see what's going on. What is that, 5? 8?

3. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    it is whatever the test footage (blue screen footage) is. I didn't check, just made a composition that matched it.

4. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I liked it. But I'm no effects buff so I can't give any creative critisism.

Was the lighting outdoors, or was it soft light indoors? 'Cause It looked like perfect lighting for the background.

And nice makeup/costume too.

5. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    that was footage from TPM DVD (could have been AOTC, not sure). I didn't shoot it. It was indoors.

6. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Oh, lol, thought you did it.

I feel stupid now.

*crawls in hole conviently placed near his desk*

7. SobiWan

SobiWan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2001
    Tracking looks fine, but the character is too blue, the background looks too crisp and bland (needs more detail and depth) and the rain is to blurry (needs more rain, less blur, possibly several layers). My 2 cents.

8. Bringer_of_Spiff

Bringer_of_Spiff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2003
    I suggest making 2 layers of rain, 1 for in front of the bluescreened actor, and 1 for behind (having smaller rain drops). The keying wasn't all that good, try feathering the edges of the actor a bit. They seemed a bit too sharp.

That's all I have to say for now.

9. Master_Rev

Master_Rev Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    The rain looks convincing. The keying is 99.9% on target. Only by enlarging and looking at it frame by frame did I find 1 frame where the keying faltered ever so slightly (under the right knee).

Also, at the beginning there is a trail of artifact behind the Jedi for a few frames.

Of course all this is only noticeable if you scutinize it very carefully. The casual viewer will not see it (at the 480x272 pixel size you have it).

BTW, it's 15 fps.

To make the scene totally convincing I'd spray the character with water to make him/her look wet. The robes flow too loosely.

Otherwise it's a very well put together scene.

10. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    thanks

There are 2 layers of rain, one behind and one infront of the actor. Just FYI.

11. Bringer_of_Spiff

Dec 21, 2003
    Oh. I didnt notice the one behind. Would you mind putting up the original footage? I would like to see what I can do.

12. rybot

rybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2003
    one thing i noticed right away was the lack of a motion blur on the character. the edges were sharp when he was moving his arms and legs. maybe try, as suggested already, feathering. some programs even have a motion blur plug-in.

13. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
  14. Bringer_of_Spiff

Dec 21, 2003
  15. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    can i get a bump?

16. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    BTW that footage was from AOTC

17. DyeJedi

DyeJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2003
    Tonight on Old Republic Reporter: Lord of the Dance star becomes uncontrolably jelous of a Jedi, grabs his lightsaber and procedes to have a seizure in the rain. All that and more, stick around.

18. Bringer_of_Spiff

Dec 21, 2003
    Here's what i came up with.

19. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    looks good.

Few suggestions:

Rain needs some blur.
    What keyer did u use (could use just a little tweeking).
    i think that the motion matching of the background was a little two linear. I actually used the match points that were on the clip, did u?
    Nice job with matching color from both clips.

Overall nice job.

20. Bringer_of_Spiff

Dec 21, 2003
    I used the Inner Outer key, and I mostly used the match points that were on the clip, and as for the colour, i adjusted the curves a bit.

21. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Tracking and bluescreen looks great. If that's supposed to be rain then you have some work to do because it looks like smoke. The 3D graphics kind of look like game cutscene graphics, but it would look fine in a fanfilm even though it was from episode II. Good job.

22. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    What is bluescreening? It looks cool! Can I do it in After Effects? And if so, HOW? [face_mischief]

23. BrentK7

Dec 20, 2000
    Pix, i was about to answer that until i say your name.

what did u think of it?

24. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Here's what I came up with...I took a different direction though...you'll notice also I wasn't really concentrating on Rotoing...I was really into the Bluescreening. I did a combination of Color Key, Color Range and Spill Suppressor. Oh and no rain. Right Click/Save Target As

25. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    It looks good Brent. Especially the motion tracking. However, I do agree with what the others have said. It needs more feathering on the edges. Maybe like 1 pixel. Also, you need to color balance the foreground so that it's more gray/yellow like the background. Other than that, nice job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.