main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Computer HELP!!! PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedisister, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Ok, I need computer help big time!! Everytime I try to download or save a pic from off the net, it does a "save as type" bitmap. The pic is usually a jpeg or gif, but my computer is automatically putting the pic as a bitmap. I can't use bitmaps. Can someone please help me out!!!!
    Thanks!!

2. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    So, if you right-click on a picture in your browser, you get a "Save Picture As" option?
    And if the picture is a BMP already, that is all the choices you will get.
    However, if it is a GIF or JPG, it will give you the choice of either GIF and BMP(if it is a GIF) or JPG and BMP (if it is a JPG).
    At least that's how it works on my XP at work.

Now if I were at home, I could see what 98SE gives me, but I think it's pretty close to the same thing.
    But I believe 98SE also had a "Save Target As" option, which could be better than "Save Picture As" since it looks at the file itself and not the file type.

I know, I know... None of this probably doesn't help one bit, but it's all I have so far. Sorry if it doesn't help.

3. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    My computer acts up like this from time to time, and there's a variety of things you could try to work around it. I'm sure there's some setting someplace that you can click to correct the problem, but in the meantime here's some duct tape like fixes to try:

1. If you're looking at a text link to the picture, do a right click, "Save Target As..." and like Rick said, you should get the file itself, not what your browser thinks it's viewing.

or

Open up a basic photo editor (even Microsoft Paint will work)...
    2. Right click on the image, copy, paste it as a new image in your photo editor.

3. View the image, hit print screen, paste as new image in your photo editor and crop the image.

or

4. Delete all of your cached internet files (in IE, go to Tools, then Internet Options, delete files on the General tab), then refreash the page. Go to where the files are stored (next to the delete files button should be the settings button for interenet files which will tell you where to go), find the file and move it to where you want it.

Sorry, that's the best I could do, hopefully someone with quick fix will swoop in and save the day.

4. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    There are also programs out there on some freeware sites that will convert images. They work fairly well. I've used them in the past.

M

5. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I agree with the others about getting a photo editor. My computer at work, even though it's Windows XP, for some strange reason decided to only allow me to save images as a bitmap when I take them from the net. But I have a photo editor (the basic Adobe Photoshop that came with my scanner free) that allows me to open the image, then I immediately click on File, then Save As, and choose jpeg or tif or whatever to make a second copy in the correct format. Then it's just matter of deleting the original bitmap, and you're left with the image in the format you want. It works for me, and it's the only way I can think of, too, to solve this problem. :)

6. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Now hold on... There's absolutely no reason why Tracey needs a raster editor in order to get JPGs and GIFs off the internet. My browser craps out from time to time too, and for whatever reason the "Save Image As" window will only let me save it as a bitmap. But it works itself out after a while.

7. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    That's happened to me to, and like Tom said it'll go away eventually and act like it should.

A quick Google search yielded this advice:

Go into TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED Scroll to bottom and see SECURITY. Make sure to CHECK MARK "Do Not save encrypted pages to disk" Hit APPLY It will work. I had the same problem for months. You can now SAVE AS the format the image is in.

I'm not quite sure why that would work, but it doesn't hurt at all to have that option selected, so it's worth a shot.

8. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Now that seems like a much more reasonable solution.

9. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Ok, so I just tried that on my work computer. Didn't do anything. I guess I agreed with the photo editor program idea, only because it was the only thing that seemed to work on my end with that problem. But I admit I'm a virtual novice when it comes to more than the usual computer basics, so it's all good... :)

10. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I know: let's ask Nick Burns, your company's computer guy.

[image=http://www.auburn.wednet.edu/wahs/media/staff_mugs/nb1.jpg]

11. jedisister

jedisister Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 2001
    Thanks all for the suggestions. As soon as my so called husband unlocks the computer again, I'll try to fix the problem with the suggestions offered. Again, Thank you all!!

12. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Unlocks the computer?

M :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.