main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Computer Problem...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Symptom - comp freezes on IDE HDD check. RAM check is fine. The comp recognises the drives, but nothing.

The drives are fine - checked in other PC
    The IDE cables are fine.

Any thoughts?

2. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Do you mean Scandisk? (I'm not that good with all this technical talk so if I got that wrong, sorry) If so have you tried starting it in 'Safe Mode' and trying it from there?

Other than that I can only suggest you go here, they are really helpful :)

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Nah, it freezes way before then. about 20 secs after switching on. I'll check out the link

4. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    AH, I getcha!

Yeah, in that case the guys on that forum should be able to help... they helped me a few times recently when I was at my wits end with this piece of junk!

5. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    If so have you tried starting it in 'Safe Mode' and trying it from there?

:_| ARRGGGGHHH!! Safe Mode the scurge of any Windows ME user!!!

6. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I know EXACTLY how you feel there (after having to start in safe mode 8 times over the last week) :_|

7. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Hal, have you slaved the drives into another machine and carried out a thorough scan disk on them?

I'd say that the most likely problem is a bad sector, or collection of. If this is true, then the scan disk should pick up the errors and tell you it can't fix them.

It could also be a virus. There are many viruses about that do that sort fo thing to a machine.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    I know EXACTLY how you feel there (after having to start in safe mode 8 times over the last week)

What ****** me off about safe mode S_f, is that it chews up your desktop and all your settings you've spent ages perfecting. Its like the computer knows when to do it!!

Actually while we're on about computers, does anyone know what the difference is between Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Adobe Photshop Elements 2.0? Which is better for general digital camera editing?

9. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    Actually while we're on about computers, does anyone know what the difference is between Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Adobe Photshop Elements 2.0? Which is better for general digital camera editing?

There's no such thing as "digital camera editing". :p ;)

Photoshop and Elements are both used for the editing of photos and general creation of images/graphics. Elements is basically a stripped down version of Photoshop at a lower price. However, it isn't as powerful as Photoshop and is only recommended for the general user. If you?re serious about your stuff (like me), then you?ll want Photoshop, which is pretty expensive. ;)

As for "digital camera editing", did you mean digital video editing? ?[face_plain]

10. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    As a computer science student, I recommend kicking it. If that fails, watch countdown then get drunk. Ah, the student way of life.

11. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    There's no such thing as "digital camera editing".

Errrr....

Photoshop and Elements are both used for the editing of photos and general creation of images/graphics. Elements is basically a stripped down version of Photoshop at a lower price. However, it isn't as powerful as Photoshop and is only recommended for the general user. If you?re serious about your stuff (like me), then you?ll want Photoshop, which is pretty expensive.

Good info ;) What edition is photoshop at? I said 6.0 before but I'm not sure if thats the latest edition.

As for "digital camera editing", did you mean digital video editing?

Errrr.... To be honest I'm a total novice with digital cameras thats why I'm trying to teach myself some stuff with them and was wondering what software was best for tweaking the pics up. Any other info would be welcomed.

At least I know someone I can speak to who knows what its all about ;)

12. Stormtrooper_fan

Aug 23, 2003
    YES Safe Mode screws up your desktop :mad:

Do you mean you want to edit pics TAKEN with a digital camera DMD? I use AdobePhotoshop 7 for everything, its the dogs... ah... well... it's DAMN good, wouldn't be without it now and it comes with Image Ready with which you can make animated gifs :)

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Yeah thats right S_f. As I say I'm a novice at the moment, but I've got a digital camera and was wondering what was the best software to use for editing pics. I won't just use it for fun but as I get better I want to use it for my work and eventually on my website (something else which I'm teaching myself to do at the moment).

I've actually got Photoshop 6.0, is that any good?

14. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    DM, Photoshop 6 is fine. I've got both 6 and 7 and in all honesty, there's very little to tell them apart.

If you want to start doing this type of work in the future, then stick with Photoshop. Almost every single company in the multimedia sector uses Photoshop at some point or other. It's a very cool program.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me. :)

15. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.