main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

computer/web site help/ advice

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Nov 23, 2007.

1. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    how easy is it to add memory(ram) to a computer? is it something i could do on my own? should it improve the performance of my computer? im mostly worried about the midi latencey problems i am having with my studio PC.

how easy are godaddy web sites to use? is there anything thats user friendly with templates for the average person to use.

i am using the word easy meaning easy for someone that has tuned up a myspace page and does not know how to make a web page with letters and numbers.

any help would be great

2. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    Ram is pretty easy - do some research on your machine, because not every kind of memory is compatible with every machine. Look for SLR2/SLR3 compatibility and such. It should definitely improve the performance.

GoDaddy I've found is relatively confusing. One host I'd suggest is IX Web Hosting. They're pretty easy to use and have decent customer service. Plus their pricing is to kill for. (24 months for about $100, 300 gigs of storage and 3,500 gigs of transfer a month for the basic package)

:)

3. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    what did you find confusing about godaddy?

4. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    here is the site builder demo for IX. i think its in russian

http://76.163.252.51:8080/demo/psoft.masonry.Builder

5. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Looks English to me.

6. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    Ìû ðàäû, ÷òî Âû ðåøèëè ïðîäîëæèòü ñòðîèòåëüñòâî âåá-ñàéòà

i cant read this

7. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    I don't see anything like that at all. Could be something wrong with your computer, maybe.

8. LadyoftheMandalore

Mar 28, 2007
    Definitely something up with your browser. Looks ok to me too, and I'm using a weird (Camino) one.

GoDaddy had a lot of circuitous stuff that you had to go around to set up the site. Plus they have so many frakking packages that I couldn't actually figure out what was what. Once I figured that out, I tried their template thingie, and it inspired me to go learn html. I couldn't get it for the life of me to look the way I wanted it. Maybe it's just a personal learning curve.

9. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    if you are just wanting a domain site...mydomain.com is pretty easy.

I just set up a new domain thru that last month...easy peasy

10. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    so i went with ipower. seems to be good so far. the templates are easy and look ok. one thing i cant get is my domain name to be my url.

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm not sure how the hosting service has it set up, so no idea how you should go about this. But you'll need to set the DNS on your hosting site to your domain name. Essentially this points the domain to the site.

12. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    thanks sarah, now i have it pointing correctly now i need the .com i paid for to be the actual URL

13. PIMP_BOT

PIMP_BOT Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    smack it on the B-hind

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Heh. You'll need to do the same for your domain. Whoever you bought your domain name from should have that option.

15. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Same place, he bought a website w/ domain name darthhiar to give it a try. When we were looking at his options it says he can have 25 domains (just have to pay for each one) and use the 300 gig of webspace he registered the business one, now if you type that in it directs you to ipower/darthhiar/business/etc. we want it to just say www.businessname.com. How can we get that to happen?

16. LadyoftheMandalore

Mar 28, 2007
    I'm confused - I just went to the website, and it just stays on http://www.darthhair.com

Did you not want it to do that?

*edit*
    Wait - did you want darthhair.com to redirect to a different business website automatically? You'd have to put a redirect code into the index.html of darthhair.com to do that.

Is that what you mean?

17. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    That one is fine, its the other one he registered, it shows up under darthhair, we want that to stand alone too.

18. LadyoftheMandalore

Mar 28, 2007
    I've never really played with hosting two different domains before, so I don't know exactly how to do it.

Does it have separate upload areas for each domain name, and does he have a separate index.html file for the second site?

19. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    anyone know why my computer is now telling me "if you change the file name extention, the file may become unusable"

it just started telling me this today. i have changed the file name on thousands of files and never got this.

20. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    your computer is worried that you don't really know what you're doing, or what you want out of life in general. It's like a parent with empty nest syndrome.

21. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    right, so why is it telling me this now?

22. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    Sorry dude.

23. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    fixed, thanks bfett

24. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    ok this should be easy,

kim and i got a brand new laptop today and after being on the phone with india i finaly got our new wireless router to work but now i can get any web site to come p so far accept for these boards. is this just a vista paranoia setting i need to change? or did we just buy another piece of tech equipment that wont perform 1 aspect of our life?

25. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Just blame it on vista ;)

Try turning off any firewall you've got on, make sure windows security center is off... what message do you get when you try and load a web page other than this one??