main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Con] C3 Caravan Stuff

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Hi. I posted a new thread just for the visibility.

Kim, Tim, and whoever else is involved with the C3 planning -- is it possible to have TFN set up a forum JUST for the caravan planning? Or have someone else set up a "official" caravan thread? Right now it seems like there are forums and threads all over the place and it's hard to find info about it. [face_plain]

EDIT: Added classification tag...

2. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I will post in the CR thread to see if we can make it a sticky thread or something.

There is a CIII board now isn't there?

3. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    TK may be right tho, boss.......we may want to have a caravan 'sticky' here for passerby's, yu kno?

4. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    I call shotgun.

5. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    What I'm talkin' about is a BIG board for EVERYBODY -- not just the RMFF people.

A place for the West Coast, Utah...Colorado...all the way to Indianapolis to stay up to date. Someone from the 501st is taking his huge enormous trailer and was asking me about caravan info this morning.

6. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Road trip!!!

7. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Probably the best place for that would be in the C3 forum. I doubt they'll create a new forum just for caravan planning, but I could be wrong.

8. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Let me start by saying that I realize there is another Caravan thread, but since the Project has been nixed for lack of time and said thread focuses specifically on that project...I thought this empty one would suit our needs a bit better.

We need to start actively planning this. Kim gave me the go-ahead to start some tentative talking/planning. This affects us all. Not just drivers but flyers as well.

I'm going to put together a little questionnaire for everybody so we can start getting opinions on the important stuff, like how many times do you think you might need to stop and stretch your legs.

We will be transporting ourselves and our plane-happy mates costumes halfway across the country for the biggest SW event of our young lives. Planning and more planning must occur, lol.

So lets throw off the yoke of procrastination, start now and do it right.

MA has volunteered to help by researching pricing for passenger van and trailer rentals...Mac has volunteered to research maps and routes.

More info to follow, but what I really need from all of you is tentative word on how you plan to get there, so if everybody could once again say fly or not for me?

Thanks

9. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    What day would we have to leave if we're driving?

*SB*

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    It depends on your insanity, really. :) I believe it's a 16 hour drive. If you've got a driver that you can trust, you can leave early Wednesday and be there in time for all the stuff on Thursday. If not, leaving on Tuesday might be the best bet.

Costume transportation is gonna be a *huge* issue, though, since some of our costumes take up the space of a whole person (or 2 -- my Sandtrooper armor takes up most of a backseat and will NOT be coming).

I just had this really crazy idea for the flyers -- since we're allowed 2 bags of luggage and a carryon, you can pack your essentials (undies, snacks, hygiene) in your carryon, as well as whatever additional clothes you can squeeze in there, and use those 2 luggage pieces for costume stuff only...

...And then MAIL BACK whatever loot you buy. We can all hang around on Monday at the post office or UPS office doing that.

Sheesh...after having thought that, it's probably going to be a good idea to make our Tusken gaffis able to be broken down if weapons are allowed at C3.

11. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    SB...thats why I want to start planning this now. Some people are talking about leaving Monday and getting to Indy around noon on Wednesday...some people want to drive straight through.

I think with enough planning everyone driving can be a part of the caravan.

For example...if I want to leave on Monday and have 2 leisurely days of driving and you want to leave Tuesday afternoon and drive through the night...with a little bit o' algebra and a dash of planning you and I can both show up at C3 together...see?

I want the caravan to be able to accomodate the needs, wishes and wants of us all (within reason, of course :p )

And I plan on having a trailer big enough to provide passage for quite a few costumes other than my own...unloading on the other end is a different story, lol.

12. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    At the moment, I am thinking I will be flying out. The caravan sounds like fun, but it would be another 1.5 days for me to get to Colorado, before even starting with you all. If my sister and her husband come with me, they would be flying as well. (We can leave the young padawans with their grandparents for only so long, lest the grandparents be driven to the dark side...!)

Our (hypothetical) costumes should be able to fit in our luggage.

I have no clue what my schedule will be like, given that I don't know what my job situation will be... but in an ideal situation, I'd like to arrive sometime Wed evening.

Mailing loot back sounds like an efficient idea. If people follow that route, would you be purchasing boxes at the post office? An alternative would be to bring broken down boxes and tape in the caravan... folded boxes shouldn't take up much room at all.

Mistress, I think it's great that you're stepping up to start this going. You're very good at organizing! :)

13. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    :D

In school I was the freaky kid who loved word problems, go figure.

This is doable and will be fun, so I'm up for the challenge.

14. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    For me, it's an issue of how much school I miss. So flying would be the best option there. But there's also the cost. I think it would be cheaper to drive (?), but I think I can still swing a flight. I thought it was a Fri-Sun deal, is there stuff going on before that?

*SB*

15. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    It's actually four days now. Thurs-Sun.

I'm planning on flying out since I don't want to miss school either. I'll be leaving Wed and coming back to Colorado on Monday.

Do we get discounts for mass booking of tickets? I can look into that if you want.

16. anthonymaul

Mar 22, 2004
    I might fly,has anyone got any prices for flights?

17. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    Planning is SO fun! ok so i need serious help! :)

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Seeing as how I don't get any paid time off for the first year, will fly in order to minimize the financial hit of the extra driving days....

That being said, I'll try to keep my costumes to a reasonable number and size. ;)

I think that a large trailer will be the best bet. I could see the caravaners getting a 15 passenger van with a trailer hitch and getting something like a 15 foot trailer. Costumes don't weigh much, but they are bulky, so planning 'big' from the beginning might be a good idea. :)

...and a large van could be helpful for getting around Indy if we decide to hit anything outside of walking distance from the Con. :D

19. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Thats the plan, homie!

I was thinking if we get to Indy early enough on Wednesday, we could unload and unhitch the trailer and pick people up at the airport, assuming most people fly on the same flight or around the same time.

20. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    and the more people involved the less money it will cost everyone in the long run...why bother renting cars when you get there.

and i know we are all about saving money! ;)

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Jeff & I are flying, I'm getting to old :(
    I think a 15 foot trailer is too BIG? What do you guys think? I also don't see 15 people going in one vehicle, maybe 8? But since I'm not driving I will leave the planning up to you big happy planning people. It's all I can do to check the weather each morning to make sure I wear the right clothes everyday :(

Happy Trails.

22. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    I was thinking if we get to Indy early enough on Wednesday

jenn, i thought you were flying?

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Regarding the trailer size, I'm sure that between now and then it will change, depending on how many people go, how many costumes, etc... I just assumed that more and more people will join the group between now and then, and it's best to plan for the worst (or in this case, the largest), and be prepared to go smaller, instead of the other way around. :D

As far as a 15-passenger van, my thought was that it would serve the most people and cost the least for parking and whatnot while in Indy. And it might leave more elbow room for the caravanners. But since I will most likely fly, I'll try to keep my mouth shut now that I've added my $.02. ;)

24. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I changed my mind, luv.

If I'm going to go through all of the trouble of making the best costume ever!!!

then I trust only one person with its transport...and that one person is me!

Plus, I've never seen that part of the country, it will be fun.

In case you havent figured it out, I plan on leaving Monday and meandering my way across the open plains...hence the desire for early stage planning. I know a lot of people either cant afford or dont want to leave that early...but if I know when theyre leaving and they drive straight through...we can meet up along the way.

And yah, a 15 passenger van is a little big...I am thinking something a little smaller.

25. anthonymaul

Mar 22, 2004
    I have a seven passenger van.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.