main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Con] C3 Caravan Stuff

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    Courtney and I are driving. But we are full as well.

2. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    I was going to drive/ride caravan, etc...however, i really don't want to take off that much time for work, i do want to make it to starfest that next week as well.

soooooooo, that is why i am planning on flying.

i have been asked next time i see the rates go down i will post it. I am always checking out travelocity and it is on my fare watcher list. :D

3. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I haven't decided whether or not I'm driving or flying yet. Probably won't make that decision until after the first of the year when I have a better idea of what my year-end bonus/commissions are gonna look like. I can also make a finalized costume decision at that point, too.

I'm not adverse to driving at all, just need to get some other ducks in a row first. Also, I might be up for renting a vehicle + trailer, again depending on certain circumstances.

So, I guess the short answer is that I might be driving, and I might be able to haul a trailer full-o-stuff.

4. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    SS-so are you saying you might be driving? sorry i had to. :)

IF driving would be less expensive, say less then $200, which is what i am planning on paying for a ticket...that would be good, but i don't honestly think with hotel room and rental that it would be.

that is the reasoning behind my logic. yes i do have some logic believe it or not. ;)

5. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    so are you saying you might have logic?

edit: eye kneeded two ficks meye spelun

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Average price of a motel fit to sleep in on the road is $35-$50... Split several ways is next to nothing... We don't need the Ritz, just a place to lay our heads and dream of SugarSith Faeries dancing in our heads ;) [face_devil]

So... Total cost breakdowns for driving are as follows (per vehicle - no towing, etc.)

1100 miles @ 20mi/gal @ $2/gal = $110/each way*
    1 Night Motel Room = $50
    Snacks X 2 days = $30

Split 2 ways that works out to $95 each way for Driving...

*If you have more people in the car, it gets cheaper, plus these are all worst case scenario #'s

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    well i really want to drive out. make it cheaper. and i wil be taking easy classes next semester no matter what school im at so i can drive out. if my teachers have issue with it, then thats there prob. cause im letting them know first day of class i will be gone then.

8. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    which is still around $200...

and i do have logic...even though i usually think with my heart...even though it gets me in trouble. :)

9. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    That's w/ 2 people in a car, and getting crappy gas mileage. My car *normally* gets $25-30 mpg depending on conditions. And in my experience, gas is CHEAPER along I-70 East, since they use 87 octane as Regular (which is what I have to put in my car). I'm guessing that I will spend less than $100 on gas each way, and there's 3 people in my car (no more, trust me, we ain't doin' that again :eek: [face_not_talking] ). If I pull a trailer, it will be more, but not that much.

I'm driving for a few reasons... First, I [face_love] road trips (otherwise I wouldn't have seen so much of I-25 in the last 2 years), and they are kind of part of the fun for me. Second, I don't want to hassle w/ blasters and lightsabers thru airport security. Third, I want to be able to hear while I'm there. I have some issues that make flight an interesting prospect with my hearing, and that time of year is not conducive for helping it (allergy season hell).

Not everyone can drive, and that's cool, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea about driving. If you have the time to take off, it is cheaper than flying in the long run. No parking at the airport (we're working on a parking fix while we're there), no worrying about getting from point A to point B, those little *emergencies* that pop up on trips /looks at SC/, and a hundred other things that I would never have thought of until they happened.

Fly, drive, train, whatever you want. I just want to know who and what we have going out in this caravan of fools. :p

10. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    <must refrain from making fools comment>

11. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    that reminds me. any one have fake limbs we can hang out of trunks?

12. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    you know

you could get teddy bears from the thrif tstore and have ewok parts hanging out the back of the trunks...

and window markers by crayola write on windows and paint and wash off......

13. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Fake??

who needs fake.I'm sure we will find a hitch hiker somewhere along the way.

14. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Since we're on the topic of logic (shudder), I would imagine that if I'm driving out, it's gonna be in a spiffy, luxurious, and most-likely gas-guzzling vehicle, further impeded by the additional trailer in tow. So, I would expect mileage costs to be higher in this specific case.

15. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    a nice bloody arm hanging out of the back of ZOO vehicle should get some attention.

16. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    I am always up for a good road trip...golly i did them all the time, in fact i was on tour with a couple of different bands in my younger years.

I just think that it won't be any less expensive then flying...NOW i could be eating my words and trying to get a ride out there. :) soo we will see.

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    If you get one of the newer vans, SS they do about 20 mpg on the highway... With a trailer, maybe as little as 15-18 mpg (because of their size, the trailer make little difference... And depending on the mileage on my Dad's truck, I *might* be able to take it to pull a trailer. And if we take a regular sized trailer, my car will pull it, I just have to get the hitch put on it

18. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    If I drive I will have my van,its a seven pass.van.
    Im just to sure on if im driving or where im driving
    from so I cant make any comment at this time.

19. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    I hope to be a part of the caravan but not driving my own vehicle--wanting to be a passenger in someone else's. Would gladly share driving and of course expenses! Road trips can be fun!! :)

20. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    Anybody ever thought about riding the train??? Or maybe chartering a bus? Have everyone that's going from Denver and getting them together in a big head count and seeing how many that number is and then finding out how much a charter bus would be.It's an idea and nobody has to drive, get couple of comlinks between the buses and you guys can decide when and where to stop. Just an idea. I'd like to go but I don't know if I'm going to able to.

21. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Yea, a charter bus......yyyeeeaaa........ya'll could take pics whilest I buzz the bus....FLOL!

22. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    charter buses are none too cheap, and having some experience w/ them, I just don't see the added expense of putting up the driver for 5 days too :eek:

The caravan works for me :) We'll find some space for you BB, even if I have to flip a coin and see which Birrer we strap to the spare tire on the back of my car [face_devil]

23. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks Zoo!!
    We can just strap a rocking chair on top and let someone sit up there (a la Granny from the Bev Hillbillies).

24. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I figure we can just plant some antlers on one of their heads and be fine w/ them on the bumper ;) [face_devil]

Error: Only 1 Twin Tormenting post per minute is allowed.

25. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    I could drive the bus, ZOO, I have a CLass B license to drive a bus, I know how. lol :D Then I could go to C3, [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.