main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Con version

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Talmerith, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    Okay this is rather last minute, but I'm confused, help!

I bought pr-registration for con, but can't find information about how exactly registration works. At other cons I've been to you just show up at the door, give them your name, and then you get your badge etc. Is that how it works here? Is there a certain time I need to show up in order to get the registration? The web site seems rather vague about it.

Maybe I'm just being dense here but please someone help me out.

2. DarthJaeger

DarthJaeger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    Hey Talmerith,

In the past, the Registration desk has "opened" around 4pm. There are usually two line ups, one for pre-registered, and one for walk ups, but it's usually a little disorganised. Hope this helps!

Justin

3. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Yeah - opening ceremonies are at 5pm, so I'm sure registration must open around 4pm. Like the other cons you've been to, you pretty much just show up, give them your name and they give you your badge. I usually bring a receipt with me in case they can't find my name on the list.

4. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    Okay my biggest concern is when does registration close? I wasn't planning on arriving until later in the evening, does registration close at 5?

5. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    No - it'll be open. Like you, most people don't arrive til later in the evening.

I don't know when exactly they will close, but a good guess would be that if programming is going on, you should be able to register.

I'm going to PM you my cell number in case you arrive and there's any trouble getting in.

Jen

6. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I won't be arriving till after work for Turcefest. around 10. Hopefully someone will be around to let me in.

7. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    I wanted to say a HUGE thanks to Kent and Raelyn and all the others that worked so hard on putting Conversion together! It was a fantatic weekend! I'm already looking forward to next year. I believe that Shane already offered his assistance and I gladly throw my hat in the ring as well. Anything we can do, we certainly will. And I SOOOOO want to do the judging in the costume contest again. What fun!! There were a couple of things that Liann and I would like to suggest with respect to the contest that would make it easier for the Judges and I know Kent told me who to contact about that but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

And Kent....I wanted to compliment you on how well you handled a rather ugly situation at the fandom panel. The incident took everyone by surprise, but you and Jason remained calm and certainly came out the better men in that situation. Kudos to you!

Raelyn - thanks for organizing the rectangle table....;) It's a bit unfortunate that the groups that do work - and work well (CFF, EFF and Badlands) didn't have more time to contribute. I think our three groups really had a lot to offer those that are struggling. I love your idea of keeping the groups talking. Could we perhaps organize something for online meetings every couple of months or something? Just to keep the discussions flowing.

8. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Now that I've caught up on sleep and housework......

AWESOME! INCREDIBLE!! SPECTACULAR!!! AMAZING!!! FUNTASTIC!!!

What a memorable experience this past weekend was :-B I'm still on cloud city [face_mischief]

Congratulations to Raelyn and Kent, and the rest of the Con-version group who put on a fantastic show! It was a great successs!! Can't remember when I had so much fun!!

I've been in a bemused state all day....remembering and savouring every minute of the weekend
    ...reminiscing over all the times I got to speak with Jeremy :D (him noticing my Fett buckle and liking my Sith Girl shirt...getting 'pushed aside' by THE Fett himself..when he autographed my calendar, signing it 'You're cool' and giving me a peck on the cheek....winning the autographed armour and having him pose with me and it...)
    ....dancing with my fellow fans and friends at Trucefest[face_dancing]
    ... watching Jay with his 'idol' and sharing that joy =D= ...
    ....geeking out with other fans and learning about their fandom....
    ...wondering at all the incredible costumes on display (magpie - you are truly AMAZING!! =P~ )

There are not enough words to describe it all - thanks everyone for sharing such a truly unforgettable experience [:D]

9. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    It was a blast and a half, I'll say that much here. My primary thoughts are over on my lj, but here's a few nibbles here 'n there:

-It was great to meet Mr. Bulloch; he and his lovely wife were class acts all the way. When Ryan and I won our time he took us upstairs for drinks and a chat, and he told us Star Wars stories and we told him the ballad of Red 5. Ryan held his own with Jeremy for some time, and the whole time we're lookin' at each other with grins on our faces so thick you'd have to chisel 'em off.

-Ah, Jay. I was so proud of my boy this weekend. He was handling the whole affair of being Jeremy's wingman with style and aplomb. He was also a social frickin' dynamo, and I know for a fact that a lot of the ladies were diggin' him big time, much to my playful chagrin. You go boy. :D

-Red 5 Collectibles rocked the house, and I say that with familial feelings set aside. Ryan handled business with grace and good humor and I couldn't be prouder of him. The quarters may have been cramped, but we did well and had a great time hanging out with the other dealers and volunteers and talking shop.

-Kent and Rae. They were the awesome, the brick and mortar holding the whole shebang together. The fact that some small and unworthy souls choose to give them grief for injecting life into CV is their failing, not ours. Much love and appreciation to both my partners, and I plan on doing all I can to make Dragoncon fun and frolic for my peeps of peeps. :)

~DtE.

10. DarthJaeger

DarthJaeger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    The Con is done for another year and a need a week to wind down as usual! I-)

Kent and Rae: You two did an AMAZING JOB and don't let anyone tell you different.

This was truly one of THE BEST Con-Versions I've ever had the pleasure of attending, and I've been to most of them.

Had a tremendous time, thanks to all Fan-Force geeks who took the time to come out!

11. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    So say we all!

12. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    So say we all!!

13. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    So say we all!

(this is one time the 'ditto' thing works for me!)

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Me too! Me too!!

15. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

16. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks a lot everyone. The event went very well due to the efforts of many people. Raelyn wore so many hats, the concom all worked themselfs to the limit, and all the volunteers did more than anyone could have asked for.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. I'm still trying to get my sleep schedule back to something reasonable.

Here's looking forward to next year's event!

17. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah..awsome job guys!

18. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Great time ditto on all the kind words here's looking forward to next year.

19. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Yah, it was tons of fun, really intresting panels(the ones i managed to make it to) Kent and Raelyn, i'm surprised you two aren't sleeping all week!

20. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Ha! Who says we're not?

I had to work at 8:00 am on Monday.

That wasn't going to happen (cleaning the ConSuite until 4:30 pm made that a bit difficult) but I still made it for 10:30 (with my boss' permission).

Thanks again and again and again to everyone. Jay, Jack, Nicole, Yrol, Scott, Kris, Jen, Stacey, Ryan, Justin, Michelle, Liann, Angela, Erin... everyone who moved a chair, brought me a glass of water, manned a table, hosted a panel, wore a costume, stood guard, offered a hug, offered a smile, cheered us on... You all made the weekend what it was, and for that you have yourselves to thank.

You showed what a success this convention can be when fan groups bring their passion, knowledge, and enthusiasm to the table. In all the changes we've been working to make to the convention, we've stressed fan participation most of all. You clearly demonstrated, both to our supporters and to our critics, what fun can be had when fans step up to the plate.

I will never forget the support you all showed for us and for eachother. I couldn't have been more proud to be a member of the FanForce than I was this weekend.

Yours in fandom,

~ Rae
    CSFFS Prez

21. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
  22. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh dear...I think you should've used a skinnier model.....:rolleyes:

23. tk-627

tk-627 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Oh please!! She's hot! You should have seen her on the dance floor...

Love ya Yrol!!

24. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Who's the hot Sith Girl? ;)

You haven't got a thing to worry about, Yrol....you're hot and we all know it.....[face_batting]

25. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    My goodness [face_batting] ....do all Sith Lords and Bounty Hunters flatter their girls this way???![face_laugh]

You're both WAY too kind [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.